U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 08:07 AM

6,621 posts, read 10,702,648 times
Apparently this mystery is not confined to this continent. Singaporeans are discussing this marble dropping mystery too...

Asia Paranormal Investigations - the Marbles Dropping Mystery

The Marbles Dropping Mystery has plagued many HDB flats residents for as long as anyone can remember. Ask anyone on the streets, chances are that 1 out of 5 would tell you that they do recall hearing those marbles dropping on the floor from the units above them, most of the time during unearthly hours, and sometimes, during the day as well. Often the marbles dropping sounds could be attributed to real playful children playing with marbles.

But the concept of playing with marbles doesn't tie in well with modern times when marbles playing is already considered a traditional game. Besides, marbles are considered small objects and could be easily swallowed by young kids playing with them.

So, could the sounds of marbles dropping on the floor be due to playful children, or are they something else altogether?

Though the Marble Dropping Phenomena was considered widespread, no one really dared to talk or even admit publicly that he or she had such a problem. Until 1 day.. someone wrote in to the Straits Times Forum......

The 1st Article in STRAITS TIMES - A letter to ST Forum
The date, June 6, 2005.

The date, June 6, 2005.
A Singaporean by the name of Joseph Wong wrote in to the Forum page of the Straits Times, complaining of marble dropping sounds coming from the above floor unit occurring in the early hours of the morning.
This is what Mr Joseph wrote:

I can hear marbles... or am I losing mine?
IN THE 15 years I lived in my three-room HDB flat in Lorong Ah Soo, my family had to endure what sounded like marbles being dropped on the floor of the unit above mine. Strangely, this seemed to take place only at night, at times in the wee hours of the morning. Never one for confrontation, I did not speak to the occupants upstairs, and we lived with it.

We moved to Punggol 21 five years ago, and the sound of marbles dropping in the wee hours of the morning seems to have followed us. I once trotted upstairs to see what sort of neighbours I have and the occupants were an elderly woman, her weak elderly husband and their domestic help. It is unlikely they played with marbles, and certainly not in the wee hours of the morning.

From conversations with friends, I was astounded to learn that this sound of dropping marbles is a widespread phenomenon in Singapore. It seems it happens only in HDB flats. One of my friends even suggested it may be the way HDB flats are built.

As a non-believer in the supernatural, I am eager to understand this mystery that is fast becoming an urban legend. I may have a legitimate reason to ask the HDB to explain it, since it seems to inflict only flats built by it.

(continue by clicking link above)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:23 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,066,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
My apartment is an old apartment in Upper West Side. It has 6 stories, I live on the 5th. On a lot of nights, at around 11pm, 12 midnight, when I am sleeping, I hear what sounds like a marble that dropped on the top floor above me. Like a big dropping sound, then followed by a few small bouncing sound, and a rolling sound. This happens a lot, even during the night when I am sleeping. Similarly, through the walls, I hear what sounds like small tapping by a person's finger, very quick, very successive. Both sounds only happen at night, never heard it during the day.

What could be the issue? Heater? But it doesn't sound like heater at all.

Is this a really cheap rent-controlled unit? Reason I ask is that some landlords will adopt varied measures to get rid of tenants when they've unsuccessfully exhausted the legal options for such apartments. Some will drop large objects in the middle of the night, run sharp sounding instruments against walls, ceiling, floors, make rustling sounds at 3 a.m., show up in scary costumes at your front door when it's not even Halloween.They sometimes resort to such devious tactics to bring the unit to market rates.

A friend of mine who lives in the floor above her landlady turned the tables on her by getting an owl as a pet, coaching it to make sounds at midnight in front of said landlady's door, by playing eerie sounding soundtracks from horror movies late at night, teaching a salsa and merengue class at late hours, and by showing up with a Dracula costume to pay the rent at 11:00 p.m.

My tenant friend never hears strange sounds anymore. She can even hear a needle drop on her floor now.

Old 10-17-2008, 02:27 PM

40,060 posts, read 18,444,154 times
This is the first time I'd ever heard of the marble dropping effect. Years and years ago, I had an upstairs neighbor whose kids actually did spend outlandish amounts of time dropping marbles on the floor! Apparently, this is a fun activity.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:38 AM

9,667 posts, read 16,841,492 times
i hear them at night when i stay in the projects

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-23-2008, 06:43 PM

99 posts, read 242,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Is this a really cheap rent-controlled unit? Reason I ask is that some landlords will adopt varied measures to get rid of tenants when they've unsuccessfully exhausted the legal options for such apartments. Some will drop large objects in the middle of the night, run sharp sounding instruments against walls, ceiling, floors, make rustling sounds at 3 a.m., show up in scary costumes at your front door when it's not even Halloween.They sometimes resort to such devious tactics to bring the unit to market rates.

A friend of mine who lives in the floor above her landlady turned the tables on her by getting an owl as a pet, coaching it to make sounds at midnight in front of said landlady's door, by playing eerie sounding soundtracks from horror movies late at night, teaching a salsa and merengue class at late hours, and by showing up with a Dracula costume to pay the rent at 11:00 p.m.

My tenant friend never hears strange sounds anymore. She can even hear a needle drop on her floor now.

Outrageous!

Old 03-13-2011, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 12,465 times
We have been plagued by this sound so much, that we decided to google it... and this site is what came up. I was told by a previous upstairs neighbor (after complaining about the noise) that it was probably small pieces of mortar, dropping inside the concrete blocks that our building is constructed from. The neighbor has long since moved out and still the sound continues. I'm beginning to think he was right!
Does anyone know an engineer that can solve the mystery. My building was built in 1969.

Old 03-14-2011, 09:51 PM

162 posts, read 188,482 times
Haunted

Old 03-14-2011, 11:55 PM

87 posts, read 292,182 times
the noise is coming from the plumbing. this was explained in a tv show I watched.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 PM

143 posts, read 146,431 times
I manage a building where all of the closets "roll" open. A lot of people complain of the marble sound and it is usually someone opening and closing the closet on its rollers. Not sure what else it could be.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:18 PM

279 posts, read 628,358 times
I used to hear this exact sound as described "like a marble dropping on the floor" I don't know if it happened during the day but at night when in bed I would definitely hear it from time to time. Never really thought about it much until this thread.This was in Starrett City and the construction between floors/ceilings was pretty thick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City