U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:23 AM

2,420 posts, read 4,192,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I am still thinking a hot water or steam pipe that gets twanged from it's mooring by expansion or contraction and then continues to vibrate like a tuning fork.
This is what I'm thinking. I hear it once in a while. It's like a hard marble (not soft like a ping pong ball) being dropped from a few feet up and bouncing maybe a half dozen times.

Or ghosts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2015, 09:32 AM

1,694 posts, read 1,071,855 times
The marble rolling sound is from people (or animals) dropping change on the ground. They bounce on their edge and then roll a few feet.

The tapping noises are from the steam pipes that heat your apartment.

Oh, and ghosts.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:30 PM

80 posts, read 73,991 times
They are the ghosts of rats playing with marbles.
or
every sound you don't ordinarily hear during the day is magnified at night since its quieter... those pesky air bubbles bursting/tapping against the inside radiators & risers pipes sure can sound scary

Old 03-27-2016, 11:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
It seems so universal that I am beginning to consider believing in poltergeists.

I had it in the last two apartments.

It sounds like something bouncing on the floor faster and faster but nothing I have ever seen gets to that same rate without stopping. Like dropping a marble and having it bounce 10 times.
I found this thread by googling because I have been experiencing this exact same marble noise described here. I live in an apartment in San Francisco and several times a day I hear this marble or steel ball noise. I always assumed it was a dog w/a toy until I met a neighbor who lives in the floor above me on the other side of the building who told me they also hear this marble noise! They also told me they hear a wooden chair/desk floor scraping noise and I hear that exact same thing. Someone else in this thread described that chair scraping sound.

How bizarre, but I am convinced it's not a dog or even a real ball - but has something to do with the pipes. I know what that water pipe knocking sound is, and this is not that. It sounds exactly like what a marble dropping from a nightstand height on a concrete floor would sound like.

I didn't see posted it here but there is a Singapore site dedicated to this phenomenon. [url=http://api.sg/main/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=95%3A open-the-singapore-marble-dropping-mystery&catid=56%3Amysteries&Itemid=105]Open - The Singapore Marble Dropping Mystery[/url]

I seriously doubt there is a marble ghost, but I did spend a fair amount of time in Singapore so maybe it followed me home.

I found a youtube video which is VERY similar to what I hear. Except that noise happens once and stops for a while.
[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHmPkDZHMQQ[/url]

Anyone have any clue what this is?

Old 03-28-2016, 09:50 AM

11,818 posts, read 7,691,265 times
This sound is nothing more than something hard fell and rolling on the ground. It can a jar, cup, or heavier object rolling against hard kitchen or ceramic surfaces.

Old 03-29-2017, 03:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,068 times
I live in a single story house in Los Angeles. No one lives above me. I hear this marble dropping phenomenon nightly... sometimes it sounds like a single marbles falling or a few are falling at a time and other times it sounds like a whole bag is suddenly being poured out. Happens between
2-330 am.... anyone else still experiencing this?

Old 10-11-2017, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 835 times
I would like everyone to make the connection that the majority of these posts are people that live in apartments. I too have been hearing the marble noise. My boyfriend said it sounded like pool balls knocking together, he then talked to our neighbor who isn't in the same building and she claimed that her and another tenant who lives in a different building had heard the same thing. We have no one upstairs and by no one I mean we have no upstairs, so. I think it sounds more like a marble dropping from 2-3 feet up, bouncing maybe a couple times, then rolling.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:36 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,806,602 times
It can be paranormal:

What's In The Ceiling!? | Paranormal U.S.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com...ostly-marbles/

Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 PM

4 posts, read 2,381 times
Why is it that you say it is a parnormal and you do think many things can happen there? What else do you know about it?

Old 01-05-2018, 01:11 PM

2,456 posts, read 1,806,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisakwester View Post
Why is it that you say it is a parnormal and you do think many things can happen there? What else do you know about it?
I don't know much about it, except that a while ago, I used to be fascinated by everything paranormal and remembered reading about that exact type of experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or