U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 09:21 PM

2,814 posts, read 5,859,035 times

Advertisements

If you can afford a decent place in a decent neighborhood, you can have a great life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 08:33 AM

1,241 posts, read 3,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
If you can afford a decent place in a decent neighborhood, you can have a great life.
Sure if you make $150,000 as a single person or $300,000 + as a family you can have a great life. I hear that most families with children in manhattan now make $200,000 a year or more enough to afford to send their kids to private school and travel around the city by car or cab only.

To enjoy Manhattan you either have to be very young or very rich but these days being both is the most common (see all these Paris Hilton wannabes everywhere).

Old 04-23-2007, 09:22 AM

3,073 posts, read 10,611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
Sure if you make $150,000 as a single person or $300,000 + as a family you can have a great life. I hear that most families with children in manhattan now make $200,000 a year or more enough to afford to send their kids to private school and travel around the city by car or cab only.

To enjoy Manhattan you either have to be very young or very rich but these days being both is the most common (see all these Paris Hilton wannabes everywhere).
Well what about Harlem or Washington Heights?

Old 04-23-2007, 09:38 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,506,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well what about Harlem or Washington Heights?
To some people Harlem and Washington Heights aren't even part of Manhattan. They think it is the Bronx.

Old 04-23-2007, 02:08 PM

3,073 posts, read 10,611,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
To some people Harlem and Washington Heights aren't even part of Manhattan. They think it is the Bronx.
I'm assuming they're not from New York.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:29 AM

9,832 posts, read 21,506,455 times
Quote:
I'm assuming they're not from New York.
You'll be surprised, I've talked to people from surrounding areas (LI, westchester, upstate) and they really know nothing about that part of Manhattan. They have asked me if Harlem and Washington Heights are in the Bronx.

I've also met people who have lived here for quite some time that the farthest up they have ever gotten in Manhattan is 96th street.

Old 04-24-2007, 03:31 PM

2,179 posts, read 5,981,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Makay855:

So you love the Midwest and hate New York.

Fine.

What are you doing in our great city? We don't want haters, whiners or losers in New York.

Why don't you get the heck out of here and go back to your All-American town in Minnesota or wherever??

What an awfully annoying post, your list of "I-hate-New-York-because-I- can't-afford-it-and-have-to-live-in-Jersey" things.

There are some people (many from the Midwest) who were never meant to make it in the capital of the world (specially those who "can't live without the car").

And remember: it's not New York's fault that you failed. Don't hate us for your inability to succeed in the Big Shiny (Never Rotten) Apple.

Pardon my tone, but people like Makay855 bother me.
Because Jersey is just oh so affordable

Old 04-24-2007, 11:07 PM

2,806 posts, read 14,974,487 times
Compared to NYC, the rent in NJ is very affordable, albeit outside of a 5 mile zone around Hoboken and certain neighborhoods of Jersey City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobokenGuy View Post
Because Jersey is just oh so affordable

Old 04-25-2007, 10:08 PM

7,653 posts, read 14,761,251 times
Quote:
I'm not from New York, but have been there for family quite several times, and I would actually advise out-of-towners against looking like a tourist. Taking pictures and staring up at buildings that really aren't that tall (unless you've never been to a big city) makes you look really cheesy and even vulnerable. Even the first time I went there, I just flew through the town like I lived there.
I more or less did too (partly because my digital camera's batteries died so easily), but you have to remember that looking at buildings is one of the draws to visiting a large city. Even here I admire some of the buildings in my own town. Such things in life are to be appreciated, not rushed by to look "local" or "cool". Beautiful architecture is something that should be enjoyed.

EDIT: Well, I suppose standing with your head up-turned for a minute might look a bit goofy.

Old 05-02-2007, 03:36 AM

2 posts, read 4,226 times
I know nothing about NYC but just had to say the following. I lived somewhere not too bad was not too unhappy and then moved to a subtropic holiday city by the sea for work reasons (not in the US). Other than hating the mold in all my cupboards I love everything about the new city. I never realised where you lived could make such a difference. So my advice would be, unless you love waking up each morning in your life where you are - move !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City