U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 05:52 PM

178 posts, read 680,680 times

Advertisements

Hi New Yorkers! I am fasinated with New York, I've lived
all but my first three years of life in California. In 6 years
when we retire I want to move and rent a little place in
Manhatten. I imagine not needing a car, walking to little
local stores and bakeries, trendy little cafe's.. it sounds
so heavenly. Am I right? Oh, and I hear New Yorkers
are kind of rude... but someone else told me that they
were great!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2007, 06:41 PM

417 posts, read 1,700,746 times
Well, that is the fantasy of Manhattan life, but I believe as a reality it is disappearing fast. Manhattan is a very, very expensive place to live and it is increasingly only a place for the young (they don't mind 'slumming it') and the wealthy (and those who are both young and wealthy....). The average rent on a studio apartment is over $1500 a month and I believe the average price to buy something is $1.5mil (granted, that is an 'average,' perhaps skewed by the extreme high end, but I don't think I've heard of anyone buying anything for under about $600k in a long time). Yes, there still are little local stores and bakeries and little cafes, but they are a dying breed (and the new ones that come along don't tend to last very long), replaced by a Starbucks on every block. It's really starting to get to the point that the various neighborhoods are looking more and more the same, with the same stores and chain eateries you see everywhere. Certainly the city still has the great advantage that you can easily live car-free and pretty much anything you might want is in walking distance of anywhere you may live. I do think you'll find the sort of neighborhoods and lifestyle you're thinking of in parts of Brooklyn and Queens, but even there the march of development and homogenization is going on.

As for rudeness.... well, just surviving in NYC is expensive and stressful, and it is exremely crowded and fast paced. Many visitors come away thinking NYers are rude- well, when you're rushing from one place to another and you were supposed to be there ten minutes ago and your way is blocked by a mass of tourists taking up the entire sidewalk staring up at the tall buildings... well, OK, the impression of rudeness can be given.

Don't put all your eggs in the basket of retiring and moving to NYC. Come and visit for several weeks or a month or two and get to really know the city- then decide.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:49 PM

359 posts, read 2,396,877 times
I agree. New York City especially Manhattan is becoming more and more gentrified and generic. Infact, about the only places in NYC that arent becoming more and more expensive are Queens and The Bronx. And as far as rudeness goes i agree with honeychrome. People only seem rude because you see them for one second and there rushing somewhere. And if you want to live in Manhattan then you gotta get used to little bull**** like that. And yea, no car, everything is within walking distance but very expensive. I agree and say you should come check it out first. Im from North Jersey but the rest of my family is from NYC and im very familiar with pretty much all of Manhatan and Queens and Brooklyn. If your not used to that kind of living, its gonna be stressfull.

Old 02-15-2007, 06:51 PM

Well, it's disapointing that they are replacing the unique cafe's and little
grocery stores with chain franchises! I do still love the idea of being able
to be car free and walk everywhere though! Actually, we're thinking of retiring and moving to Manhatten for 6 months and then to wherever
my husband wants to move for 6 monts and then picking out a location
from the two or moving on to somewhere new if either one doesn't suit.
But I will take your advice and visit first. I can see how one would be
impatient with tourists... I actually live somewhere that tourists flock to
in winter. Usually seniors who drive 30 in the 50 mph and the locals
want to do 60. Thanks for the insight!!

Old 02-15-2007, 07:24 PM

500 posts, read 2,673,352 times
Hello,

We're talking about Manhattan, not "Manhatten". Yes, it is great as you think, and then some. The whole City of New York is so wonderful and unique it makes me cry of happiness, and I live here.

Don't believe what the naysayers spread around about the mallification of Manhattan. You know what? It is true, they're right, we've got too many Starbucks, we've got Home Depot and Bed-Bath&Beyond, and Olive Garden and tons of TGI Friday's (they were born here). We also have more than one Applebee's, would you believe? Right here in the heart of Manhattan.

And yes, it is super expensive. Studio apartments go not for 1,500 but 2,500, and even more. So what? If you can afford it, you'll never want to live anywhere else.

The magic and uniqueness of our town is that no matter how much chain crap and crappy malls they dump on us and how expensive it gets, this city is still the greatest city on earth and the capital of the world. We still have plenty of mom-and-pop stores, in fact outnumbering the chain types. Just go up and down 9th Avenue and see all the little restaurants and businesses.

Part of what makes the city great is the people. We are not rude. That's a myth as big as the one the says there's a lot of crime here. Bulls**t.
We're nice. We help you. We'll give you directions if you're lost, money if you need it, food if you're hungry, shelter if you're cold. I've never known anybody as warm and helpful as a New Yorker. Genuinely nice, not the fake Minnesotan nice that comes with a stab in the back. We take no bull from nobody, but that only makes us real, not rude.

You'll walk in our streets and look up and see the Chrysler and Empire State Buildings, and the awe-inspiring light in the sky by the Hudson River, and the flow of people and energy, and the lights, and that "something" that makes you stop and think for yourself "I love New York".

You'll fall in love with New York and you'll feel like you've got to move here now, forever.

Or maybe not. Because New York City is not for everyone. But then, you'll be happy to having at least visited the most inspiring human creation in the f****ng universe.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:30 PM

1,154 posts, read 3,854,907 times
I live in Greenwich Village, and let me tell you... Manhattan is pretty much as you imagined it. Yes, we have Starbucks and certain other chains, but at least we don't have Wal-marts. *shivers* There are still tons more small, local stores than anywhere else in the US, and the chains that we do have are chains that would be hard for me to live without (Starbucks, Staples, etc).

Let's say I want Italian food at 4am. No problem! There are five different Italian restaurants open at that hour within walking distance. Chinese food? Probably over ten options, and many of those will deliver to my building. Hell, I occasionally walk around the Village in my pajamas... it's a very cosy neighborhood. Although I'm just a bit crazy :P

And about the rude thing, New Yorkers aren't rude. We're different... culturally it's a world apart from America west of the Hudson. Waitresses usually won't try to fein happiness as they do in Kansas or California. And no, your local Starbucks employees won't want to strike up a random conversation with you as they would in Wyoming or Michigan. But you know what? Beneath the "hard shell" that many New Yorkers portray, we're really just a bunch of softies on the inside. When it matters most, New Yorkers are in fact the most pleasent people on earth; at least from my experience.

If you can scrap together the money for rent, then go for it!!!

Last edited by NYMTman; 02-15-2007 at 07:42 PM..

Old 02-15-2007, 08:07 PM

I knew it!! New Yorkers LOVE New York and that tells me alot! Most
people are not passionate about where they live but New Yorkers
are loyal. I love the "take no bull" attitude and the "get chinese at
4 in the morning if you want". A city that doesn't sleep is exactly
what a want. I'm going to go to a broadway play and eat chinese
at 4 am the first week I'm there. Can't wait and thanks for the info!!
6 years to plan..

Old 02-15-2007, 08:11 PM

417 posts, read 1,700,746 times
Fair enough, I'm glad that some others chimed in with a counterbalance to what I first posted. The 'mallification' going on in Manhattan is going on in every city in America, and at least in NYC in most neighborhoods you can find your own little network of quirky independent shops to get what you need. Still, with the amount and the scale of the building that is going on now the overall character of the city is changing.

But coming across one of the East River bridges at night in a taxi and seeing the city spread out and lit up before you...... walking around the empty, car-free streets after a major snowfall (hasn't happened yet this year!)..... Central Park, Prospect Park, trolling the galleries in Chelsea..... the farmer's markets.... finding a restaurant or two and establishing 'regular' status..... There are many things that are magic in NYC.

Still, it is very (and increasingly) expensive and not without significant drawbacks. Look at it with realistic eyes and you'll be better off. Your six-month plan sounds like a fantastic way to do it- it is just long enough that you'll get to know your way around, you'll have gone through most of the obvious 'touristy' things to do and the overall novelty will have started to wear off so you'll be able to assess the city and if it's the right place for you realistically.

Old 02-15-2007, 08:14 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,476,871 times
I watched "you have mail" last night which takes place on the West Side of Manhattan and I nearly wept with missing the City. I haven't lived in that part of the City since mini-skirts but I could feel the beat of the street, the smell of the vendors, the thrill of another site unexplored around the corner----

I won't go back, but I sure won't forget it was my home for many years.

Old 02-15-2007, 09:21 PM

8 posts, read 38,641 times
Yes, Manhattan is great.
I lived here for a while now and I would never forget, the melted dirt-snow on your clothes, and the cleaner bill attached to it. Or the 150 degrees in summer with no green spaces, or the pond or any other piece of green full of bodies as it was a recreation of the civil war. Or the gridlock in the UN week. What about the shopping season when you cannot even walk?
Ahhhhhh, don't forget that scent the city exudes in summer.
Nevermind trying to buy something, and I'm not talking about an apartment, try to buy anything and it will cost you double.
Blame wal mart all you want, but I travel two hours to go to a wal mart and buy thing at the fair market.
Yes, Manhattan is a great place to live, psyche
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City