U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:55 PM

3,225 posts, read 7,508,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
There were some good ones in there.

No I did not participate in it and Im not trying to lower property values to eventually participate in it either. Nice try Henna, I know you love to attack anyone who isnt a gentrification-happy newcomer.

I think there is a difference between living in the absolute cheapest place and absolute cheapest nice place. No sense in living with roaches, mice, rats, etc if you came from something nicer. Also, much of reason I brought up the quality of life issue is that I personally get irritated when I see the news show innocent victims raped, killed, stabbed, etc from being in the wrong place (rougher neighborhoods or blocks) at the wrong time. Moving into a high crime area to save $x/mo has can have its consequences, Its a shame when realtors, gentrifyers, etc over push a neighborhood and people get themselves in deeper water than they are used to. The problem with places in the outer boroughs is they tend to be quieter than the crowded places of Manhattan at night, so if theres nobody on the street at 4am to save you, good luck. People can end up like that girl on the G train who got raped and nobody else was around except the wimpy subway booth person. I dont know how that guy lives with himself just standing around like that. Pathetic. Nobody likes to see this stuff happen, period.
I would agree with your negative characterization of most real estate agents. I do believe, btw, that they are in large part responsible for the housing crisis and its consequent national economic malaise that we are all presently experiencing.

However, I do think your rationale for why people move into certain neighborhoods is awfully simplistic. True, people move to get rents that are as close as possible to their budgets. True, some gentrifyers/developers, and the usual commission-hungry real estate agents hype neighborhoods without stating the downsides.

I do suggest, however, that it's all part of the evolution of a city as in high demand as NYC is. When we expand the frontiers of revitalization and gentrification to all borders of the city, we are in the process introducing services and facilities to all residents - the existing ones and the newcomers. When done properly where the former can co-exist alongside the latter and together reap the rewards of the developments taking place, we have a win-win situation.

That anyone should get raped, murdered, robbed, attacked - newcomer or existing residents - is appalling. With the extension of revitalization, an expanding tax base, new businesses, one should expect a commensurate increase in law enforcement - yes, way out into the perimeters of the outer borough on those lonely streets you mentioned. No area can be totally crime-free, but our city will never realize its full potentail for all its citizens if we were to pick and choose where to pour our resources and if newcomers were scared away from outer borough locales that were hitherto desolate or unoccupied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 02:25 PM

718 posts, read 2,077,577 times
I understand a city will "evolve" and "bad" areas may become Manhattanized over time. However, I still think my view is valid. I can reason with why someone from Detroit or Oakland would move to the South Bronx or a Bed Stuy type neighborhood - its most likely an upgrade. But often times people are moving from Short Hills, Shaker Heights, or the cornfield. I just dont understand it. Its a huge overall quality of life downgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
I would agree with your negative characterization of most real estate agents. I do believe, btw, that they are in large part responsible for the housing crisis and its consequent national economic malaise that we are all presently experiencing.

However, I do think your rationale for why people move into certain neighborhoods is awfully simplistic. True, people move to get rents that are as close as possible to their budgets. True, some gentrifyers/developers, and the usual commission-hungry real estate agents hype neighborhoods without stating the downsides.

I do suggest, however, that it's all part of the evolution of a city as in high demand as NYC is. When we expand the frontiers of revitalization and gentrification to all borders of the city, we are in the process introducing services and facilities to all residents - the existing ones and the newcomers. When done properly where the former can co-exist alongside the latter and together reap the rewards of the developments taking place, we have a win-win situation.

That anyone should get raped, murdered, robbed, attacked - newcomer or existing residents - is appalling. With the extension of revitalization, an expanding tax base, new businesses, one should expect a commensurate increase in law enforcement - yes, way out into the perimeters of the outer borough on those lonely streets you mentioned. No area can be totally crime-free, but our city will never realize its full potentail for all its citizens if we were to pick and choose where to pour our resources and if newcomers were scared away from outer borough locales that were hitherto desolate or unoccupied.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:32 AM

841 posts, read 3,933,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
I understand a city will "evolve" and "bad" areas may become Manhattanized over time. However, I still think my view is valid. I can reason with why someone from Detroit or Oakland would move to the South Bronx or a Bed Stuy type neighborhood - its most likely an upgrade. But often times people are moving from Short Hills, Shaker Heights, or the cornfield. I just dont understand it. Its a huge overall quality of life downgrade.
Some people are just wierd, you know?

Old 01-17-2012, 06:40 AM

20,219 posts, read 26,555,603 times
There are some very nice parts of Newark.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,013 times
Talking apartment rental

Hello
I would like to rent a very cheap apartment near NY, max 300 usd/month.
I could not pay broker fee also.
How i find it.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:18 AM

5,473 posts, read 9,220,284 times
I've looked around apartment for rent sites and in South Bronx the cheapest studios right now is in Hunts Point and Morrisania plenty for $650 -$700.

Same ole song and dance.

Old 02-23-2012, 07:33 AM

8,750 posts, read 15,594,536 times
Morrisania is the most affordable rent in the entire borough I believe, and it might be in the entire city. I read is somewhere but can't find the link. If you are looking for affordability, the Bronx (in general) always wins.

Old 02-23-2012, 08:42 AM

40,057 posts, read 29,774,281 times
This thread was started in 2007. Hope the OP has found a place by now.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:32 PM

35 posts, read 52,483 times
Me too. I wonder what happened to him...

Old 02-24-2012, 08:41 PM

400 posts, read 834,829 times
Edgemere/Arverne is the cheapest place to rent in the 5 boroughs. Maybe somewhere on staten island, not to sure tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or