Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 06:48 AM

5 posts, read 14,236 times

Advertisements

Sorry to hijack...

Im looking at an apt on E Mosholu Pkwy South between Marion and Decatur. From what Ive read in this thread, this seems like its in the nicer area. Is this correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 09:31 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypek View Post
Sorry to hijack...

Im looking at an apt on E Mosholu Pkwy South between Marion and Decatur. From what Ive read in this thread, this seems like its in the nicer area. Is this correct?
Yes,that's definitely the nicest part of the area.Lot's of green,the parkway is beautiful,it's a few blocks from The Botanical Garden and convenient to lots of shopping and many transit options.

I have a friend who lives right around the corner on Decatur and I looked at co ops @190,304 and 340 E Mosholu a few years ago so I'm very familiar.Been there all times of day and night at all times of the year and it seems very peaceful around there.My friend is very happy in the neighborhood.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Yes,that's definitely the nicest part of the area.Lot's of green,the parkway is beautiful,it's a few blocks from The Botanical Garden and convenient to lots of shopping and many transit options.

I have a friend who lives right around the corner on Decatur and I looked at co ops @190,304 and 340 E Mosholu a few years ago so I'm very familiar.Been there all times of day and night at all times of the year and it seems very peaceful around there.
Yay! I'm scheduled to see it Friday. *fingers crossed* Thanks!

Old 01-18-2012, 09:37 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,580,539 times
My mother grew up in the area, close to the Norwood stop. We try to go back every now and then and see how the neighborhood is - her grandfather built the house they grew up in. We've never felt uncomfortable going. My husband and I took the train there a couple months ago and walked around for about a half hour before my mother met us and we really enjoyed it. Beautiful day, friendly looking people walking around. Seemed very peaceful. I'm not too familiar with the outskirts of the area though.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:49 AM

9,247 posts, read 24,077,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypek View Post
Yay! I'm scheduled to see it Friday. *fingers crossed* Thanks!
Don't know what you are looking for but there is a 2 br apartment for rent in one of the co op buildings I looked in.You might want to check it out if you are looking for a 2 br. Nice deco building !

Maxx Realty

Old 01-18-2012, 10:19 AM

@bluedog2: Looking for a 1BR, but thanks for the link!

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrettr33 View Post
hello,
To be perfectly honest with you, I would inform you that if you have any children, do not take up residence there. Gun shots and drug sales are common place in the nearby streets on Gun Hill Road, Mosholu Parkway, Jerome Ave., Webster Ave. and surrounding areas.
From the late 60's this neighborhood has taken a downward fall till this date. The local politicians filter out any funds provided to these areas for improvements. As an example, the "Van Cortlandt filtration plant is now estimated to cost $3 billion. Do to the impact to the surrounding area of excessive noise and rodent infestation, funds (a few million $) were made available to the community. Well, those funds were sent to Manhattan instead. This is just a small example of what life is like there.
If you don't mind the violence and poor quality of living, then take up residence there.
Good luck
Are you kidding me? I live there and it is far from ghetto. If you ae not hanging out in Tracey Towers at 2 AM or on Knox or Gates Place, you should be fine. I am a single woman who has lived here on and off for the better part of ten years, including the South Bronx for a few years, and it's really not bad as far as the Bronx goes. Bedford Parks/Mosholu Pkwy kind of ebbs and flows in terms of quality of living but again, you make it sound like Tremont or Morrisania.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
My mother grew up in the area, close to the Norwood stop. We try to go back every now and then and see how the neighborhood is - her grandfather built the house they grew up in. We've never felt uncomfortable going. My husband and I took the train there a couple months ago and walked around for about a half hour before my mother met us and we really enjoyed it. Beautiful day, friendly looking people walking around. Seemed very peaceful. I'm not too familiar with the outskirts of the area though.
Basically what it is. I have no idea what this person Barrett is talking about.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post

I have a friend who lives right around the corner on Decatur and I looked at co ops @190,304 and 340 E Mosholu a few years ago so I'm very familiar.Been there all times of day and night at all times of the year and it seems very peaceful around there.My friend is very happy in the neighborhood.
I lived on Marion Avenue between Mosholu Pkwy and 201 Street years ago. I had a friend who lived on the corner of Webster and S Mosholu Pkwy E. Very working class/lower middle-class. Don't hang out on Webster Avenue at 3 AM looking for trouble and you won't find it. Buy a nice set of locks, use normal common sense, and you should be fine.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
Mosholu Parkway is cool...the only "bad" part I can think of is where it passes Tracey Towers/Clinton HS...but other than that it's a good area.
And even there isn't "bad." Above the parkway east of Jerome Avenue on places like Gates, Knox, etc. is where some drug activity is and you may hear an occasional gunshot in the summer from there, but it's not really anything to get excited over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City