U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 10:56 PM

546 posts, read 2,237,876 times

Advertisements

I've always wanted to visit NYC! It looks like a place with endless possibilities

However, when I started reading some posts, everyone always talks about how its overcrowded, bad traffic, etc.

If it's so bad, then why do so many people live there?
Are you trying to move out of the city? If not, what makes you decide to stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 03:14 AM

480 posts, read 2,612,007 times
Like Yogi Berra said "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded."

Don't let the drones on here tell you about NYC. See it for yourself and make your own judgement. I think you'll like it.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:39 AM

364 posts, read 370,675 times
Default Yes it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
I've always wanted to visit NYC! It looks like a place with endless possibilities

However, when I started reading some posts, everyone always talks about how its overcrowded, bad traffic, etc.

You should visit NYC!! And it does have endless possibilities. This is coming from a frequent tourist. As I said in another similar post about NYC, I visit the city about 4 times a year. And it is worth the $2,000 it costs me on average. I absolutley love it!

I have never not been able to get anywhere I wanted to go (re: traffic and overcrowded). Your location says Chicago? I used to visit there often when I lived in the Midwest. Now, my old fav cities like Chicago, Atlanta and Dallas do not seem like much. Boston even seems small. New York seems quanit to me now. I know my favorite neighborhoods. It is kind of weird when people talk about how big it is and not being able to find places.

Any contrary to what people say on here, everybody is so friendly!! Really. Restaurants and shopping. Mostly they are very friendly. After just a few trips within a couple of months most people in my fav shops and restaurants knew me and are always very nice when I return.

Another thing I love is that everyone is free and encouraged to do there own thing here. You can look like a stylish Park ave girl, Walstreet banker, bright purple hair, British, ect. Anything goes and I love that. The diversity is great.

As you can see, I have only good things to say about NY. I have never had a bad, scary, dangerous experience. I feel safer there then I would most other citys. I cannot classify as waiting an hour past my reservation at Tao or an extra 20 minutes in LaGuarida security a "bad experience". People overaggerate.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:20 AM

1,696 posts, read 8,010,507 times
One of the reasons so many people live there is that is where the money is! I've recently retied and moved from NY and I cannot believe the wages people earn in the south compared to what is made in NY. Obviously, cost of living is a major factor in this but still, NYC is where the $$ is. Aside from being able to get anywhere in the city at any time or being able to buy that pastrami on rye at 3:30 AM.

Old 02-23-2007, 10:29 AM

431 posts, read 1,949,346 times
Default It is all of that and then some...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post

The reason why most people leave has nothing to do with how crowded it is, how dirty or whatever. It's just too expensive to live. If money were not an issue, you would be hard pressed to find NYers in Florida, GA, N. Carolina, etc...NYC is a major metropolitan mega city and very very few cities in the world can even compare. That's why it is so expensive. I guess you get what you pay for.

Old 02-24-2007, 11:43 AM

1,990 posts, read 6,846,704 times
Amen. I believe if NYC was as cheep as the south, there would be over 10 million people living in this city. You can take that to the bank.

Old 02-24-2007, 12:26 PM

364 posts, read 370,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Amen. I believe if NYC was as cheep as the south, there would be over 10 million people living in this city. You can take that to the bank.

I would be there in a New York minute!!

Old 02-24-2007, 06:31 PM

359 posts, read 2,397,700 times
New York City does have endless possibilities. Compared to Chicago, New York City actually is dirty. However, crime in New York is significantly less then in the Chi. Also nightlife in the Chi comes to a hault at 11:00 or so. New York City's nightlife becomes morning life. The city is always going. And dont believe anything you hear about rudeness. People in New York are actually very nice and welcome Tourists. Its not like Philly where if you arnt from there they dont like you. New York is a very open city.

Old 02-27-2007, 07:28 PM

6 posts, read 25,351 times
yes it is, don't listen to all the haters on this website, while NY is very expensive in my opinion you still get more then what you pay for. NEW YORK PRIDE!!!!!!!!

Old 02-28-2007, 04:43 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,317,490 times
NY is all that- all of it, the good & the bad. It is many things but it is never dull. If you are up to the challenge, and it is the right time of your life, it is exhilerating!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City