Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 PM

16 posts, read 305,864 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering, why do people joins unions? Do they accept people that other companies will not hire? Do sanitation workers, teachers, MTA, construction workers etc. HAVE to join a labor union? Do unions hire ex-felons, people with bad credit, and whoever else other companies may not want ? I just want to know a little bit more about unions in NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 08:08 PM

600 posts, read 2,090,025 times
NY is not a Right to Work State. If a workplace is a union shop, all union-level employees must pay the union dues. (If you--I guess for ideological reasons---refuse to join the union it is called an "Agency Fee")

Many skilled union members (electricians, carpenters, etc) who are without jobs get job postings at the union hall but the Taft-Hartley Act (1947) makes it illegal for union membership to be a requirement for employment.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
Many skilled union members (electricians, carpenters, etc) who are without jobs get job postings at the union hall but the Taft-Hartley Act (1947) makes it illegal for union membership to be a requirement for employment.
Thanks alot, I did not know about the Taft-Hartley Act. I'll do more research on that Act.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
I work for MTA, most of whose workforce is unionized--the largest union representing MTA workers is Transport Workers Union (TWU) Local 100. As far as hiring goes, I can tell you that the union doesn't do the hiring, but MTA does background checks (past indiscretions aren't held against you, provided you list them to MTA. If you withhold such information and they find out about it, you're out of a job). Because it is a closed shop, anyone who gets hired automatically becomes a member of the union.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I work for MTA, most of whose workforce is unionized--the largest union representing MTA workers is Transport Workers Union (TWU) Local 100.
This is also very informative. Now, I see that there can actually be more than one union representing a particular occupation. I was under the impression that the MTA was one union or under one union.

Old 10-23-2008, 09:29 AM

Can unions help members find jobs, or are unions only good after you have a job already?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:54 PM

207 posts, read 507,369 times
Fred314X, thanks for the post. When you say "past discretions" does that include convicted felons? I'm specifically interested in the Northern California construction unions.

Old 06-18-2011, 03:49 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,586,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperbelle View Post
Fred314X, thanks for the post. When you say "past discretions" does that include convicted felons? I'm specifically interested in the Northern California construction unions.
When I was hired, it was explained to us that everyone should tell the truth about their past on the appropriate forms; the only people who'd be affected were the ones who lied. There were two people in my group who had been arrested in the past. One didn't think it was serious enough to mention--when MTA did its background check, he was fired. The other one is still employed here.

But, of course, I can only speak from my own experience. I have no idea how things might work with the outfit you're interested in.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 AM

3,327 posts, read 4,355,182 times
Please let's make distinctions between private and public employment unions.
They're night and day nowadays.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:24 AM

2,565 posts, read 5,511,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoleman7 View Post
This is also very informative. Now, I see that there can actually be more than one union representing a particular occupation. I was under the impression that the MTA was one union or under one union.
You can have many different unions representing different levels of staff in one organization. For example, I'm in one union, and the people below me are in another. We each have our own separate contracts that we go by.

And the unions don't do the actual hiring, that's done by the company or organization. If however the company later tries to fire you for some reason, then the union steps in and tries to prevent that.

As far as felonies, that's up to the employer if they want to hire you with a record or not. There can be some government regulations that come to play here also. In my industry (aviation) everyone where I work must go through a background check prior to starting work, and there are several things that will automatically disqualify you, but it's stuff like aircraft piracy or interfering with a flight crew and such, so I doubt most people have anything to worry about.

I used to be in a union in California, but it was in southern California and had nothing to do with construction, so I can't help you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City