Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM

50,175 posts, read 63,623,198 times

Advertisements

I wish it were cheaper. We would love to visit more, but for the price of a long weekend in NYC we can go to the islands for a week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 02:59 PM

467 posts, read 1,681,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
i was actually going to mention the Cross bronx! and i deleted it! haha!
The cross bronx destroyed a neighborhood and sped up the Bronx's decline in the 70's and 80's.
The effects of the highways and major arteries by robert Moses were catastrophic to the city's neighborhoods.
Not to sound stupid, but why is this? I was born in 1984, and I'm not sure what the effect the highways had on NYC..

Old 10-23-2008, 04:24 PM

821 posts, read 1,035,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Not to sound stupid, but why is this? I was born in 1984, and I'm not sure what the effect the highways had on NYC..
I was born in 1981, the only reason i know the effects is through research. Plus from stories my grandfather told me about how things were before neighborhoods were divided by highways. It effect commerce, property value, movement, attitude, ,,,. There are a few great books on Robert Moses. Also I highly recomend the PBS, Ken Burns Documentary on New York.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:14 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,538,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jax78 View Post
Robert Moses was an elitist urban planner and builder in NYC, Long Island and Westchester who used public transportation and highways to separate the area socioeconomically. His intent was to keep lower income people close to the overcrowded city center and the more affluent on the fringes. He made access to beautiful neighborhoods that were far from the center of commerce (NYC) inaccessible to those without cars. In his day, 1920s-70s, the less affluent generally did not have cars and were, therefore, limited to places they could reach only by public transportation. In effect, they were shut out of nicer areas that required an automobile and a good highway system. As you can see on maps of our area, many of the more beautiful and affluent parts of the outer boroughs and suburbs are inaccessible by subway and are woefully underserved by bus.

In addition, he routinely created barriers to access to many amenities to poorer people, recent immigrants and specifically African-Americans and Hispanics. He designed/created many wonderful playgrounds, beaches and state parks, etc.; but in his mind, such things were only for affluent whites. For example, he would not build public playgrounds above 125th Street; he built the Cross-Bronx Expressway which virtually destroyed the South Bronx by creating a bypass which was created by eliminating many solid working class neighborhoods, and resulted in the closing of many small businesses and increasing pollution.

If you'd like to know more about him, pick up a copy of The Powerbroker. It's an excellent read.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:06 PM

467 posts, read 1,681,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Robert Moses was an elitist urban planner and builder in NYC, Long Island and Westchester who used public transportation and highways to separate the area socioeconomically. His intent was to keep lower income people close to the overcrowded city center and the more affluent on the fringes. He made access to beautiful neighborhoods that were far from the center of commerce (NYC) inaccessible to those without cars. In his day, 1920s-70s, the less affluent generally did not have cars and were, therefore, limited to places they could reach only by public transportation. In effect, they were shut out of nicer areas that required an automobile and a good highway system. As you can see on maps of our area, many of the more beautiful and affluent parts of the outer boroughs and suburbs are inaccessible by subway and are woefully underserved by bus.

In addition, he routinely created barriers to access to many amenities to poorer people, recent immigrants and specifically African-Americans and Hispanics. He designed/created many wonderful playgrounds, beaches and state parks, etc.; but in his mind, such things were only for affluent whites. For example, he would not build public playgrounds above 125th Street; he built the Cross-Bronx Expressway which virtually destroyed the South Bronx by creating a bypass which was created by eliminating many solid working class neighborhoods, and resulted in the closing of many small businesses and increasing pollution.

If you'd like to know more about him, pick up a copy of The Powerbroker. It's an excellent read.
Interesting. I'll check out the book. I know of him only from the beach that is in Suffolk County.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:35 PM

391 posts, read 1,246,509 times
Subway trains stopping every 5 mins 24 hrs a day 7 days a week!

Old 10-23-2008, 08:38 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,655,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie1249 View Post
Robert Moses's....intent was to keep lower income people close to the overcrowded city center and the more affluent on the fringes.
40 years later, the script is flipped!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2008, 09:47 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,556,533 times
return power to the citizens and let them decide important issues like term limits for the Mayor and City Council.

Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 AM

375 posts, read 1,573,109 times
Default Help me understand...

[quote=Marie1249;5825870]Robert Moses was an elitist urban planner and builder in NYC, Long Island and Westchester who used public transportation and highways to separate the area socioeconomically....
quote]

I'm trying to understand this. I don't know anything about Robert Moses other than he was an influencial figure in NYC history. After reading your post, I read about him on the web and indeed your viewpoints are a commonly acknowledged by his critics.... that his city planning led to the decline of many neigborhoods in NYC.

But isn't this inevitable as a city grows and the need for infrastructure grows? I mean, highways and thruways have to get built, and where ever you build them, aren't you going to have neighborhoods divided? Isn't what he did a necessary evil for the growth of the city and the economy?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:26 AM

456 posts, read 1,394,315 times
The trains
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: