U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM

821 posts, read 242,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNative View Post
are you kidding me?
where do you see any 'giving up'?
2 words: Lee Avenue

Old 10-23-2008, 02:30 PM

195 posts, read 526,988 times
Only the Hasidic Jews?
I have been living in New York City for the past 27 years and sometimes other non-Hasidic Jewish people are 10 times worse than the Hasidic Jews.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:31 PM

2,984 posts, read 3,666,880 times
When my dad was a cop with the NYPD he used to catch Hassidic males doing business with the prostitutes on the west side. One time the station house captain called him in to tell him that the charges against one dude were being dropped after they receive a call from down town to do so. My dad arrested this piece of garbage after catching him having sex with an underage prostitute. Seems they have a lot of political clout with the city and get away with a lot. They are no different than anyone else. The lock up their skeletons just as much as anyone.

Last edited by Stac2007; 10-23-2008 at 04:11 PM..

Old 10-23-2008, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
Only the Hasidic Jews?
I have been living in New York City for the past 27 years and sometimes other non-Hasidic Jewish people are 10 times worse than the Hasidic Jews.
My mother was born into an Orthodox Jewish family but married my dad a Gentile. While my grandfather loved my dad, many persons hated the match and believe my mother sold out her faith. This treatment extends to her children as well. Many of my cousins are liberal Jews but some members like my cousin married into a very stuffy but traditional Orthodox Jewish family. They turn their noises up at me and see me as a sell out. My other cousins are angered at how their sister's in-laws treat me. I recall a few years back my cousin invited me to her son’s bris. The only person who spoke to me in a house full of people was my cousin and the mohel. They all knew me but kept their distance. I left at the end feeling a little upset.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:56 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,381,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stac2007 View Post
When my dad was a cop with the NYPD he used to catch Hassidic males doing business with the prostitutes on the west side. One time the station house captain called him in to tell him that the charges against on dude were being dropped after they receive a call from down town to do so. My dad arrested this piece of garbage after catching him having sex with an underage prostitute. Seems they have a lot of political clout with the city and get away with a lot. They are do different than anyone else. The lock up their skeletons just as much as anyone.
so much for the idea of not sitting next to a non-family female. well he wasn't intent on sitting anyway...or this one must have done a musical chair routine and the last chair left was occupied by the underage prostitute.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:57 PM

214 posts, read 368,079 times
I think they still have a handle in Williamsburg. I see many all time on the train and in the streets. One thing I feel a little bad about is that I don't help the women with their strollers in the subway. I wanna help but I know they have restrictions as far as talking to men outside of their family.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:09 PM

[quote=JaasNYC;5824087]I think they still have a handle in Williamsburg. I see many all time on the train and in the streets. One thing I feel a little bad about is that I don't help the women with their strollers in the subway. I wanna help but I know they have restrictions as far as talking to men outside of their family.[/QUOTe

Even if you tried they would not let you. They would give you the evil eye and move on. I always thought they take being God's chosen people a little too far. They have a really dirty Yiddish work for non Jews. It's sad I learned it young.

Old 10-23-2008, 05:18 PM

821 posts, read 242,936 times
Anybody ever been to Boro Park?

Old 10-23-2008, 06:39 PM

7,936 posts, read 7,769,135 times
[quote=Stac2007;5824291]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaasNYC View Post
I think they still have a handle in Williamsburg. I see many all time on the train and in the streets. One thing I feel a little bad about is that I don't help the women with their strollers in the subway. I wanna help but I know they have restrictions as far as talking to men outside of their family.[/QUOTe

Even if you tried they would not let you. They would give you the evil eye and move on. I always thought they take being God's chosen people a little too far. They have a really dirty Yiddish work for non Jews. It's sad I learned it young.
Hearing of things like this is when I lose sympathy. I don't give a hoot what one's religion or sect is, there is absolutely no excuse ~ ever! ~ to discourage manners. Manners and chivalry are a struggle in todays world and it's a shame for religious "snobs" to add to the problem. They alienate themselves and teach their children to have no regard for the brotherhood of man.

I was recently in NY for 10 days by myself. I walked along Orchard Street and noticed that one store was a Hassidic's. Would I have gotten service since I was alone?

Loved New York, though. It's the United Nations.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:47 PM

536 posts, read 1,550,618 times
If you work in retail, both Hassidic and Orthodox Jews leave a pretty bad taste in your mouth... they have a bad habit of leaving a trail of open boxes in their wake... which means we have a lot to mark down, because other customers are wary that pieces are missing and/or the item has been used and returned. Not to mention, the male children have NO respect for their mothers or female employees, so a male employee has to be called up from the storeroom to tail them for the entire time they're in the store (which can be for hours) to repeatedly tell them to stop touching everything and to put things back where they were found, a major waste of time and money, since they ignore females completely. so yeah... sorry, I hate stereotyping as much as anyone, but I see the lack of respect for other people's values, time, and property again and again, so maybe it's time for the culture to Americanize a tad, at least in public.

On a lighter note, during some Christmas Eve reveling with one of my boys on Queens Blvd, we hit up a strip club drunk as skunks and the only other customers were Orthodox Jews, haha.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City