U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:19 AM

938 posts, read 3,666,372 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

While browsing older threads (such as one involving a family moving to Crown Heights), I often come across posters saying that Hassidic Jews are rude, brash, arrogant etc (shunning outsiders, closing doors on women, utra cheap etc).

Is this true? I live in Los Angeles (and have many Jewish friends, which none fit the aforementioned description), but someday plan on moving to NYC and would like to avoid such people with such attitudes (IF what i've been hearing has been true)

What neighborhoods do they live in? Any stories/run ins/encounters?

Thanks!

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-23-2008 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: Hate speech

Old 10-23-2008, 10:23 AM

2,541 posts, read 10,383,088 times
hasidic jews are to the NY metro as the Amish are to PA

I do not think they are rude to their women, but I have found them to be xenophobic

wonder why they gave up williamsburg so easily, they have money?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:41 AM

12,120 posts, read 28,537,570 times
I am of the faith (but I'm not Hasidic) but i have to laugh because a Hasidic gentlemen threatened to kill me if i ever bumped into him again with my umbrella(it was an accident on a drizzly night in 1996 on 42 street and 8th Ave). I will always remember that one

what does xenophobic mean?

Old 10-23-2008, 10:45 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,670,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
I am of the faith (but I'm not Hasidic) but i have to laugh because a Hasidic gentlemen threatened to kill me if i ever bumped into him again with my umbrella(it was an accident on a drizzly night in 1996 on 42 street and 8th Ave). I will always remember that one

what does xenophobic mean?
dislike for strangers, foreigners, etc.

rl, you might wanna do what i do - I have an online Merriam Webster saved as a favorite on my pc and I refer to it a lot. A few clicks and you're right there!

Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM

7,079 posts, read 34,520,304 times
Hasidic men are proscribed from associating with women who are not their wives or relatives. If you ever flew on El-Al, which always has a plethora of Hasidic members flying to Israel, there's a musical chairs with respect to seats, because Hasidic men really are uncomfortable sitting next to women they don't know or aren't related to.

Similarly, Hasidic women, outside of their daily housekeeping chores, such as shopping, are discouraged from having any contact with non-family males.

I think many people make more of this than there really is.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 AM

821 posts, read 830,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
hasidic jews are to the NY metro as the Amish are to PA

I do not think they are rude to their women, but I have found them to be xenophobic

wonder why they gave up williamsburg so easily, they have money?
Given up? Have you seen Lee Ave. lately?
"they have money?" This is a common misconception about Hasidic Jews. Actually Hasidic Jews are of the highest concentration among welfare collectors.
My mother works in the community in Boro Park and Williamsburg and she experiences the poverty first hand.
My mother is a "gentile" (non-jew) in the community. She is a therapist for special needs children, she must dress accordingly with a dress way below the knee. She also must not where her Obama pin cause she got alot of anger for that.
It is not that they are rude or angry, it is a different culture that does not interact the same way that most Americans do.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:05 AM

9,845 posts, read 22,175,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Given up? Have you seen Lee Ave. lately?
"they have money?" This is a common misconception about Hasidic Jews. Actually Hasidic Jews are of the highest concentration among welfare collectors.
My mother works in the community in Boro Park and Williamsburg and she experiences the poverty first hand.
My mother is a "gentile" (non-jew) in the community. She is a therapist for special needs children, she must dress accordingly with a dress way below the knee. She also must not where her Obama pin cause she got alot of anger for that.
It is not that they are rude or angry, it is a different culture that does not interact the same way that most Americans do.
I was just about to pinpoint the same. Many Hassidic Jews are not that wealthy. Of course there are a few that are, but many, maybe even the majority are far from wealthy.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:06 AM

67 posts, read 210,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post

wonder why they gave up williamsburg so easily?
are you kidding me?
where do you see any 'giving up'?

Old 10-23-2008, 11:08 AM

3,225 posts, read 7,670,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Hasidic men are proscribed from associating with women who are not their wives or relatives. If you ever flew on El-Al, which always has a plethora of Hasidic members flying to Israel, there's a musical chairs with respect to seats, because Hasidic men really are uncomfortable sitting next to women they don't know or aren't related to.

Similarly, Hasidic women, outside of their daily housekeeping chores, such as shopping, are discouraged from having any contact with non-family males.

I think many people make more of this than there really is.
Since we are as westernized a culture as any can be, it isn't surprising that many are taken back by customs that vary from the norm. Thankfully there is freedom for others to pursue their faiths and customs peacefully once such do not conflict with existing laws.

However, people will continue to experience some consternation. This consternation shouldn't escalate to hatred or harm but it is only natural for the average individual to perceive it as strange, for example, for a female to be relegated to certain behavioral charcteristics unlike those of most American women. Because Hasidics and other similar persuasions and even other religions not in the mainstream or majority (including some Muslim sects) adhere to "ancient' traditions there will be some raised eyebrows.

Thankfully one can morph it or charcaterize it humorously sometimes as a lighthearted version of musical chairs.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,000,000 times
I have 2 collegues that are Hasidic Jews. Both have been very nice and polite to everyone. They do kind of keep their distance, but are never rude. One will remain on the elevator if he is on there alone, and a women steps on. The other one will get off. Everytime he is on there alone and I step on, I know he has to get off. One time I felt really good because I got on and another gentleman was on there, but the gentleman had to get off before both he and I reached our floors, so he had to get off with him.

We also have a couple of accounts that these 2 gentleman service that are Hasidic companies. I was out already, near the area where one of these companies are located in the Bronx. One of them asked me to pick up some documents at this location for him, it was an emergency, and I did, everyone was nice an polite, except one of the young ones he made a sexist, remark about me being a Gentile within my earshot. He was quickly admonished by his elders. I just blamed this on his immaturity. They apologized so much for this.

So overall I don't think that people outside of the group interact with them much, and may not understand them, and vice-versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City