Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 01:09 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I know a couple of people who commute into the city from Pennsylvania every day for comparatively low-end jobs (around $50 to $70 thousand a year). They make more in the city than they would in Allentown, but time is money, too, and spending that much time on a bus doesn't seem worth it to me. What's the point of having a large house if you're never there?
Now, you do have to learn how to play the commute. While on the bus or train, do something constructive, like read or sleep (sleep is constructive on the trip, due to a long day at work!). The main issues on commuting, though, are the commuter fees. Mine are around $220/month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 01:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I know a couple of people who commute into the city from Pennsylvania every day for comparatively low-end jobs (around $50 to $70 thousand a year). They make more in the city than they would in Allentown, but time is money, too, and spending that much time on a bus doesn't seem worth it to me. What's the point of having a large house if you're never there?
The concept of owning the roof over one's head is a primordial instinct that surpasses even the urge to have sex or to procreate.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:53 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I just found out one of my students (teach in the south Bronx) up and left real fast to move to PA. Some of the kids tell me they have family in PA also.

My fiance knows a couple teachers in his school who commute to Flushing from PA. He said he wouldn't mind it for a cheaper house. He sometimes complains about his commute to western Suffolk county. He would have that commute doubled going to PA. I told him I never want to have more than an hour commute. It would drive me insane. To me, I would rather struggle more paying off a house with a decent commute, than to have a much further commute that drives me nuts with a large house.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,673,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I told him I never want to have more than an hour commute. It would drive me insane. To me, I would rather struggle more paying off a house with a decent commute, than to have a much further commute that drives me nuts with a large house.
When thinking about a place to live, one has to look at all of the factors, with the positives and negatives, and be willing to deal with everything. For example, you would rather "struggle more paying off a house with a decent commute than to have a much farther commute". Very well, then.

But just remember, there are plenty of people who paid the price and are struggling with the price (big mortgage, taxes, etc). And that is driving them crazy. On the other side, there are people who went for the large, exurban house in PA, and are paying the price for the commute.

Whatever you do, deal with the consequences. Believe me, those consequences WILL be a battle.

Old 10-23-2008, 03:46 PM

223 posts, read 616,019 times
Here's an article on the subject: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/29/re...29reading.html

Old 10-23-2008, 04:19 PM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,108 times
I think the skyrocketing crime in Stroudsburg, PA should slow this down a bit. Unfortunately "cheap house" is the draw for many, not "better life".

Old 10-23-2008, 04:50 PM

107 posts, read 430,010 times
Can't blame them for leaving. I've been thinking about leavin eventually too.
Housing is expensive even in unsafe areas.
You can't put your kids in public schools.
You can't get decent car insurance.
It sucks.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:58 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,334,779 times
I went to PSU and know some people from NEPA, and they are not too happy about it

they say gangs are now on the rise because of the transplants

Old 10-23-2008, 07:18 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
Now, you do have to learn how to play the commute. While on the bus or train, do something constructive, like read or sleep (sleep is constructive on the trip, due to a long day at work!). The main issues on commuting, though, are the commuter fees. Mine are around $220/month.
Not too bad actually. Consider the commute from my area, which is "Zone 4" on the LIRR and my stop takes only around 35 minutes give or take to get to Penn Station or Brooklyn:

Monthly ticket for Zone 4 of LIRR: $185.00

Cost of subway if your office isn't within walking distance of Penn Station in Manhattan or Flatbush Ave. in Brooklyn: approx. $4 a day x 20 days = $80 or a monthly MetroCard = $81

Grand total = around $286.00

... and I am only 16.10 miles via the LIRR from Penn Station as per hopstop.com

Old 10-23-2008, 07:22 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
They have been trying to unload year-round homes in the Poconos for years and years AND YEARS! Even back when I was a kid and read the daily NY newspapers (Post, Daily News, etc.) I saw the double-spread full-page ads for "low cost new homes" in the Poconos.

And, yes, even back then they were promising a "commuter rail road" to NYC from the Poconos. Of course, it hasn't happened yet. I doubt there are even any plans for it.

More power to ya who can make that commute!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City