Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2008, 01:36 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed within the past several months that there has been a dramatic change in the deportment of our finest? It's been hitting home to me a lot as I exit the subway or sit in a Dunkin Donuts shop and observe our officers go about their business.

It seems to me that there has been a sharp decline in the professional way the new recruits conduct their duties or in their deportment when they are relaxing for a coffee and donut. While the latter is very noticeable it is the former that is cause for alarm.

There seems to be a lackluster, sloppy, slipshod demeanor in their profile, appearance and attitude. I have no stats to support my gut feeling, but somehow I'm conjecturing that standards of admission aren't what they used to be, that the requirements to be an NYC cop have been adjusted and we are no longer getting recruits who feel pride in the uniform they wear or who feel that their position is a distinguished one.

I wonder if salary, issues of past alleged misconduct, civilian complaints, etc., have had a snowball effect and instead of successfully alleviating the issues facing the force they have snowballed and created an attitude of lethargy and a don't care attitude.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 02:14 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
they are desparate now, they will hire anyone. Its a dangereous situation, putting inadequate people in that kind of power.
What I have noticed in terms of police that they have stepped up their game and been busted heads all over the place. Detectives running out of cars and harassing people.

Old 10-23-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
they are desparate now, they will hire anyone. Its a dangereous situation, putting inadequate people in that kind of power.
That's precisely what I'm worried about.

Old 10-23-2008, 07:03 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
Most of new young cop are Gen Y so what do you expect

but the city is not as dangerous as when Gen X was coming up

Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,042,151 times
Last Friday I was harassed by cops. Every word that came out their mouth was vulgar.

I dont look at cops the same. If none of you ever been accosted before, just know that the cops have horirble attitudes and treat you as if you were subhuman. The physical abuse you take is astounding, especially when it's 2 on 1 or 3 on 1.

I've encountered some nice ones. Mostly the rookie cops.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-24-2008 at 12:54 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
SuperMario..if I were you I would file a complain and get their badge numbers. It is quite simple and you have nothing to lose. There are a variety of witnesses, and I doubt highly that people would not step up to back you in the neighborhood, since cops are so hated there anyway. Furthermore, you can contact the local media and discuss what is occuring in your neighborhood if you, and the members of your community, are being harassed or targeted by malicious officers. There are resources available to you...it is not easy or fun, but if you genuinely believe you are enduring what you claim, then please reach out and get help. If you are not clear as to how to do these things, please PM me.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Last Friday I was harassed by cops. Every word that came out their mouth was vulgar.

I dont look at cops the same. If none of you ever been accosted before, just know that the cops have horirble attitudes and treat you as if you were subhuman. The physical abuse you take is astounding, especially when it's 2 on 1 or 3 on 1.

I've encountered some nice ones. Mostly the rookie cops.
I understood that the pd has serious issues with their deportment, etc., but i am very concerned for the well being of supermario, whom, it seems in every other thread has been subject to manhandling by our finest.

Last edited by Viralmd; 10-24-2008 at 12:57 PM.. Reason: Inappropriate language

Old 10-24-2008, 02:05 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,235,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
Most of new young cop are Gen Y so what do you expect

but the city is not as dangerous as when Gen X was coming up
What's wrong with Gen Y? I was offended by that remark.

But maybe I shouldn't bring it up. I'm often not impressed with those younger than me. So your probably just doing the same.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:22 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,332,493 times
I am Gen Y too

Actually I do not have a problem with the cops myself, I think they are fine, they have always been helpful to me, even the young ones that I have run into

See you grew up with a different brand of Gen Y because of where you are from

However, I am willing to bet that the new cops the OP is referring is a particular brand of Gen Y that i was referring to
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City