U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2007, 01:24 PM

7 posts, read 13,643 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone:

I've been lurking around this board for a few weeks and read many old threads and have now decided to post.

My current situation: Finished nursing school in August, income of $73,000 with some lovely student loan debt to pay off. I am working at an upper eastside hospital. I currently live on 111th St by Columbia with roommates. I desperately want my own apartment, preferably a 1BR and can pay up to $1600/month. I have looked at Craigslist, realtor sites, etc. and see that I can afford Inwood/Wash. Heights, but that area is too far of a commute. I also walked around East Harlem north of 110th St and decided it was too desolate/didn't look safe.

Does anyone have any suggestions for apartments given my income parameter and desire not to spend the rest of my life commuting. I am open to other boroughs, but do not know what is safe/affordable/doable for commuting.

Thanks for any help/advice you may have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2007, 01:36 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,491,219 times
Not long ago, an acquaintance was able to get a good buy on a 1-bedroom in the lower Grammercy area (south of 18th Street, above 14th Street). Her apartment is adorable, not undersized and seemed to sell for less than other Manhattan areas.

It may be an under-appreciated and not often referenced, but has easier access to subways for the Eastside; is in walking distance to the Village and has plenty of conveniences.

Might be worth checking out - post-War buildings; elevators ( between 15th Street and 21st Street; 1st Avenue to Park Avenue South is how I am defining the area.)

Good luck!

Old 02-17-2007, 03:47 PM

7 posts, read 13,643 times
Default Thank You

On the Road:

Thank you for your reply, but I need to rent, and your posting seems to indicate buying. I'd love to buy and maybe can eventually, but I don't have a down payment for that.

How do you think that area is for rentals?

Old 02-17-2007, 03:49 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,491,219 times
I apologize, I must have not read it carefully enough.

I'm not sure about rentals these days. When I lived there--many, many years ago, it was already on the high side, but neighbourhoods change.

You might give it a look!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCRN View Post
On the Road:

Thank you for your reply, but I need to rent, and your posting seems to indicate buying. I'd love to buy and maybe can eventually, but I don't have a down payment for that.

How do you think that area is for rentals?

Last edited by ontheroad; 02-17-2007 at 05:07 PM..

Old 02-17-2007, 04:56 PM

500 posts, read 2,675,067 times
Try the far East Village-Alphabet City-Lower East Side. I know for sure there are 1-bedrooms for 1,600 there. Those used to be ugly areas but are now much better. In Hell's Kitchen where I live that price will get you something too. Craigslist is always the best way to go, specially if you want to avoid paying a broker's fee that may kill you.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,604,691 times
Default Good Luck with that

You are not going to be able to live in Manhattan on $73,000 a year. Even in the 'other 4 boros', it is going to be very tight.

With the way the housing market is (rents & prices both surging in all 5 boros & suburbs), I would advise people not to move here unless you are making in the mid six figures and don't mind losing 30% of gross pay to city, state & federal taxes.

I make in the high 70K's and I pay less than $850 for a rent stabilized sutdio apartment in Flushing Queens (which I have lived in for 12 years). It is all I can afford since other expenses quickly add up like Car insurance, parking, groceries, taxes, and going anywhere is super expensive for a night out.

I am always surprised at all these trendoid twenty somethings who can afford to live in Manhattan & pay $4,000 or more to live in some luxury condo building and waste money on designer clothing & drinks every day.

Good luck finding that $1,600 apartment in Manhattan (anywhere in Manhattan). One bedroom apartments & studios go for between $1,600 - $2,000 in most of Queens, I doubt you find anything in Manhattan for less than $3,000 given the surging rental market. Don't forget about the brokers fee which is 15% of annual rent.

Old 02-18-2007, 10:25 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,604,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattan-ite View Post
Try the far East Village-Alphabet City-Lower East Side. I know for sure there are 1-bedrooms for 1,600 there. Those used to be ugly areas but are now much better. In Hell's Kitchen where I live that price will get you something too. Craigslist is always the best way to go, specially if you want to avoid paying a broker's fee that may kill you.
Probably the most overrated, overhyped part of Manhattan (along with Williamsburg in Brooklyn). You have crap tenement walk up studio apartments going for over $3,500 a month and selling for close to 1 million. These apartment fly off the market into contract in a day or get 30 or more rental applications.

Go figure. I guess it is nice to live in Manhattan when you are making an 'entry level ' salary and have rent subsidized by parents.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:34 AM

500 posts, read 2,675,067 times
Nick,

I don't know what your problem is but I'm sorry about it.

There are 1-bedroom apartments in the East Village, Alphabet City, Lower East Side, Hell's Kitchen and so on for $1,600-1,700 a month. Not to mention Harlem, Washington Heights and Inwood.

Overrated or not, you can get a 1-bedroom walk-up for 1,600 and live in downtown Manhattan. Is that bad?

You gotta be kidding when you say one needs to make 150,000 to live in Manhattan. Do you really believe this? 100,000 will give you a GOOD life. Less will let you live in Manhattan just fine. And we all know plenty of people who live with less than all that.

Or didn't you know that only 7% of New Yorkers make 100,000 or more a year?

Forget the stupid car insurance. We don't need that.

If you make high 70's and all you can afford is a 850-a-month apartment in Queens, there's something wrong with your financial planning. I'm sorry to say this.

C'mon and cheer up, Nick! If Manhattan and New York City depresses you so much, just move out to a cheap small town and be a king.

Old 02-26-2007, 09:19 AM

7 posts, read 24,869 times
Check out Brooklyn Heights. It's a great neighborhood and safe. A good escape from the city and the 4/5 is right there so you can get up to the UES pretty quickly. It's much more residential than Manhattan, so you're not going to have a killer social scene, but the 2/3, 4/5, A/C, and F are all within about a 5-10 minute walk depending on where you stay so your access to the city is great. It's pricey for Brooklyn, but you should be able to find a nice 1br for 1600 no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or