Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 06:22 PM

223 posts, read 616,067 times

Advertisements

Go to a hardware store and ask someone there. Perhaps they will have a better solution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 06:56 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
*Sigh*

I am glad I have so many helpful suggestions about opening my windows....because I would never think to try that. All of my windows are open.

My question was is there anything out there that one can buy made specifically for this problem to perhaps wrap the pipe to insulate the heat. I'm new to the city and I kind of assumed that this was perhaps a common problem so I didn't know if someone had gotten wise enough to create a solution.

I don't understand how its so impossible to believe that the heat coming from the pipes (as there are three total in my apartment) was so intense that even opening all the windows did little to ease the temperature.
I understand your dilemma fully. Here one has a situation of a tenant in the middle of winter - your situation and/or other posters on this thread - when it is freezing cold outside and you're burning up inside because of the abnormal heat from the pipes. And you are advised to "open the windows."

That's like saying to someone who wants to have a normal body temperature, "Don't worry, stick one foot in a bucket of cold water and the other in a bucket of hot water and on average you will feel warm."

Old 10-24-2008, 09:05 PM

or wanna feel normal body temp? okay, stick your head in the oven and your ass in the refrigerator and you'll be fine.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:50 PM

67 posts, read 225,851 times
I don't know why people need to be dismissive of this issue. If you don't like the question, stay out of the thread.

I grew up in an apt like this, it gets so hot and it's really frustrating. It makes some people really cranky. And no, opening a window is not always an ideal situation. I had a loft bed, and I would crack the top of the bedroom window & then have too much cold air blowing on me. I'd climb down & readjust it, then it would slip too low, etc, etc.

And yes, I could only get half dressed inside...the coat would wait until the I was outside the apt.

But I too am sitting here in front of a mini electric heater now, paying my own heating bills (up to $1000 a month last winter), and I'd rather be in the former situation than the latter.

I still go back to the apt as my parents still live there & sweat my butt off during the holidays. So, no, I have no new advice about it, I have never heard of any kind of insulation for the pipes. I'm sorry it can't be an ideal situation, I know you don't want to hear it, but it could be worse.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:17 PM

actually it is a problem but for some reason it's dismissed by all and sundry. ever tried calling up the heat complaint hot line?

me: hello, i have a complaint.

operator: give me the address where you're not getting heat.

me: no, i am getting heat, just too much.

operator: say what?

me: i'd like to complain that my landlord is giving me too much heat.

operator, trying unsuccessfully to muffle mouthpiece of phone while she talks to coworkers: ha, ha. you guys think you have a bad night with all the complaints. guess what - i got a guy on the other end saying can you do something, i'm getting too much heat. ha ha, what a jerk.

operator returns to phone: sir, we'll take your building address and get in touch with your landlord. would you mind waiting a few months like say 6 months while we try to arrange heat for the other hapless citizens without any heat whatsoever?

operator then hangs up without taking my complaint.

Old 10-24-2008, 11:41 PM

185 posts, read 752,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes927 View Post
I am someone who believes that everyplace is too hot. And the law I believes requires apartments be kept at 78 degrees which is ridiculous!

I live in a three family house and I'm lucky enough my landlady si able to keep me a comfy 63 degrees
I WISH it were 78 degrees!

The Law in New York is this:

Between 6am and 10pm, Rooms must be maintained at 68 degrees if the outside temperature falls below 55 degrees

From 10pm to 6am, Rooms must be maintained at 55 degrees if the outside temperature falls below 40 degrees.

----
I don't know if it is the law in the private market as well, but in NYCHA apartments, If the outside temperature reaches 20degrees or below, the rooms must be maintained at 68 degrees no matter what the hour.
---

I HATE it when the apartment is too hot (Which happened when I lived in Queens) With all windows open (only 2 in a studio apt) the Apartment was STILL hot. THe cold air draft and hot air mixing together either made me sneeze, or gave me a headache. Room temperature was often maintained at almost 90 degrees, AND the radiators had no way to shut them off, (No Knobs) EVERYONE had their windows open.

I DO think its worse to have no heat. Our heat is currently broken, and has been for awhile now. Tenants have started complaining. I think New York City Laws are pretty reasonable. By gosh, if 55 degrees is TOO MUCH, then you shouldn't be a landlord.

I for one think 60 degrees should be the minimum temperature. Seriously, try taking a morning shower and getting out when it is 55 degrees in your apartment. And THAT is legal. IN fact, if it is Exactly 40 degrees outside at 5am, the landlord doesn't have to give you ANY heat, even if your apartment is 42 degrees inside. The heat only has to go on between 10pm and 6am if it hits the 39 mark.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MStant1 View Post
*Sigh*

I am glad I have so many helpful suggestions about opening my windows....because I would never think to try that. All of my windows are open.

My question was is there anything out there that one can buy made specifically for this problem to perhaps wrap the pipe to insulate the heat. I'm new to the city and I kind of assumed that this was perhaps a common problem so I didn't know if someone had gotten wise enough to create a solution.

I don't understand how its so impossible to believe that the heat coming from the pipes (as there are three total in my apartment) was so intense that even opening all the windows did little to ease the temperature.
You have to research the wrapping the pipes issue, or as someone already suggested visit a reputable hardware one that services plumbers to an extent. Some wrappings are now illegal to use that were used in the past. When I lived in that very hot apt the pipes were wrapped but it didn't slow down the heat it just kept you from getting burned if you accidently brushed up against the pipe.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 PM

295 posts, read 1,505,465 times
Default heat & windows

If you live in a small building (a couple of families)...the thermostat for one apartment may control the heat for multiple apartments. SO....it may be the fault of your neighbor who has their window open & the thermostat reads cooler temsp & you heat goes on.

Old 10-27-2008, 12:40 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Well as discussed the proper answer to this Tenant issue..is...drumroll please...to talk with your Landlord! If he is unable to resolve the problem, or refuses to for whatever reason the other answer to this Tenant issue is.....drumroll again please....to hire someone to fix it and take it off the rent. Now that we have solved one of life's greatest mysteries, maybe we can move onto another great mystery that has annoyed people for generations : How to correct a leaky faucet.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Now that we have solved one of life's greatest mysteries, maybe we can move onto another great mystery that has annoyed people for generations : How to correct a leaky faucet.
And once again some of the landowning class ridicule calls to their offices to correct what should be a mundane easy to fix issue. Like in the heating case, where they point you to the closest hardware store and suggest purchasing some kind of adhesive, in the case of the leaky foaucet, many errant landlords suggest the use of a myriad of accessories ranging from scotch tape to stockings to UPS packaging sealants.

Of course, all this is to be paid for by the troublesome tenant who demands a properly functioning faucet in exchange for the well received check he sends in every month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City