U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:26 PM

9,363 posts, read 15,753,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post
....cabs are impossible to find when one wants them; and are rusty, unsafe vehicles driven by inept drivers anyway....
LOL...rusty cabs now?? Where have you EVER seen a rusty medallion cab in NYC? Good grief...these posts get more and more outrageous, calling into question one's true experience with NYC. Medallion cabs are not around long enough to rust today (since many are replaced within a few years), and most are perfectly respectable, driven by decent drivers. While it's true that some drivers/cabs might not be the best, many do perfectly fine shuttling their passengers around the city in safety, given the number of miles logged in a year.

Perhaps one needs to stop using the gypsy cab services that tend to drive around in potentially rusty, older Town Cars that were taken out of fleet service by car services so that one would not be subjected to a rusty cab, but I understand that this might be the only type of "cab" that services one's area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 11:30 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,362,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
lol...rusty cabs now?? Where have you ever seen a rusty medallion cab in nyc? Good grief...these posts get more and more outrageous, calling into question one's true experience with nyc. Medallion cabs are not around long enough to rust today (since many are replaced within a few years), and most are perfectly respectable, driven by decent drivers. While it's true that some drivers/cabs might not be the best, many do perfectly fine shuttling their passengers around the city in safety, given the number of miles logged in a year.

Perhaps one needs to stop using the gypsy cab services that tend to drive around in potentially rusty, older town cars that were taken out of fleet service by car services so that one would not be subjected to a rusty cab, but i understand that this might be the only type of "cab" that services one's area.
lol

Old 10-24-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsw View Post

For ex., many older $10MM+ apartments lack modern HVAC, plumbing, wiring and have rodent issues; )
but the rodents are usually more well-fed in the 10MM units and thus healthier looking.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 AM
zdg zdg started this thread

771 posts, read 1,008,661 times
Quote:
$360k in Houston would require a higher amount in Manhattan to maintain the same lifestyle, especially when it comes to the space issue. A decent apartment that will not seem too small would run in the $7-10k range, such that I would look to an income around $500k+ to maintain the same lifestyle, assuming you have a car.
Actually, one of the things we're very much looking forward to is getting rid of our cars. It's one of the big draws to NYC for us. The big city we're used to requires you to drive everywhere as there is no reliable pub trans to speak of and even being in the middle of the city here means you have to drive out to certain areas, depending on what you're trying to do.

As far as the space thing is concerned, we fully understand the fact that we'll be downsizing. We did that in our last home purchase, going from a 3100 sf 4/3 in one of the ritzier parts of town to a 2200 sf 3/2.5 a few blocks south so we could own instead of rent. Even then, we have a room here we never go in to and are happy to basically set half our stuff on fire before moving east.

Quote:
$4k/month in Manhattan will get about 1000-1400 square feet, hardly a large apartment, even for a family of three. Now, I am not advocating spending a huge amount on rent when it could be used to purchase an apartment, but that's the biggest compromise I would find coming from Houston. And in that raw square footage, you will not have Texas-sized closets in Manhattan, hence why you might need a larger apartment with an extra bedroom (or two), for storage, assuming your family likes to shop as much as my friends who live in your neck of the woods do.
Sure. And we get that. Honestly, we intend to keep our vacation home here in Central Texas and will most likely keep all our long-term storage stuff there. We fully understand that moving from the vast open spaces of Texas to the cramped up closets of Manhattan means consolidating precious, precious space. We're comfortable with that.

Quote:
Can you live on $360k in Manhattan? Yes, I agree with others who have posted that it is possible, aside from one who has a strange obsession with CT and Chicago, but you will likely have a couple of compromises due to the tax burden and higher costs associated with nearly everything in Manhattan.
And that's really what I was getting at. We understand the differences between Houston and NYC and those differences are the reasons we want to make the move. That being said, we don't want to go from our foodie joint eating, private school attending, central market shopping lifestyle to essentially living like we did when I was in grad school, but on $360k a year. If that's the case then, hell, we'll just stay here and pretend we don't live in the middle of Redneckia. If so, fantastic, that's what I was hoping to hear.

Old 10-25-2008, 04:51 PM

468 posts, read 1,554,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdg View Post
I want to know how much income a family in their 30s/40s with one child, living in a very nice (maybe not quite "luxury", depending on your definition) apartment
For a completely off-topic comment: the median household income in the United States in 2007 was $50,233 and in NYC it was $48,631. The type of lifestyle you're describing is lived by the upper crust of society, representing about 1 to 2 percent of Americans. It's quite luxury!

Old 10-25-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
For a completely off-topic comment: the median household income in the United States in 2007 was $50,233 and in NYC it was $48,631. The type of lifestyle you're describing is lived by the upper crust of society, representing about 1 to 2 percent of Americans. It's quite luxury!
agreed

Old 10-25-2008, 05:05 PM
zdg zdg started this thread

771 posts, read 1,008,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
Oh, no question. I just don't know what goes for "luxury" in NYC and didn't want to assume that a $6k/mo condo was luxury when it turned out that was the average and that, I don't know, anything under $20k/mo was not considered luxury. I was just trying to be careful with my terms more than anything else.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Oh, no question. I just don't know what goes for "luxury" in NYC and didn't want to assume that a $6k/mo condo was luxury when it turned out that was the average and that, I don't know, anything under $20k/mo was not considered luxury. I was just trying to be careful with my terms more than anything else.
don't be preoccupied with terms - you have sufficient greenbacks to not worry about things that most average New Yorkers have to worry about.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:56 PM

9,363 posts, read 15,753,205 times
Quote:
Actually, one of the things we're very much looking forward to is getting rid of our cars. It's one of the big draws to NYC for us. The big city we're used to requires you to drive everywhere as there is no reliable pub trans to speak of and even being in the middle of the city here means you have to drive out to certain areas, depending on what you're trying to do.

As far as the space thing is concerned, we fully understand the fact that we'll be downsizing. We did that in our last home purchase, going from a 3100 sf 4/3 in one of the ritzier parts of town to a 2200 sf 3/2.5 a few blocks south so we could own instead of rent. Even then, we have a room here we never go in to and are happy to basically set half our stuff on fire before moving east.

Sure. And we get that. Honestly, we intend to keep our vacation home here in Central Texas and will most likely keep all our long-term storage stuff there. We fully understand that moving from the vast open spaces of Texas to the cramped up closets of Manhattan means consolidating precious, precious space. We're comfortable with that.

And that's really what I was getting at. We understand the differences between Houston and NYC and those differences are the reasons we want to make the move. That being said, we don't want to go from our foodie joint eating, private school attending, central market shopping lifestyle to essentially living like we did when I was in grad school, but on $360k a year. If that's the case then, hell, we'll just stay here and pretend we don't live in the middle of Redneckia. If so, fantastic, that's what I was hoping to hear.
Very cool. It sounds like you have really done your homework and will enjoy NYC. I can imagine that it would be a great thing to be rid of a vehicle after navigating Houston freeways, and I can easily understand why that city has turned you off the automobile for daily transportation.

I hope I did not come across as elementary in my description of NYC for your situation because I do think you have a reasonable expectation and will make the necessary trade-offs to make it work. If, however, you had a 1200sf closet, 3 autos, etc. that you wanted to bring to NYC with you, you'd have a slight issue in having the space for everything, hence the reason why I mentioned the differences.

Best of luck in considering the move. I think you'll like it!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 AM

536 posts, read 1,545,534 times
Quote:
many do perfectly fine shuttling their passengers around the city in safety, given the number of miles logged in a year.
(totally off-topic....)

The ones who own their own cab seem to do pretty fine, too...

I live in Oakland Gardens literally a four block walk from Queensborough where I go to school, and not only is my landlord a cab-owner, so are about four other people on my walking route to school... though based on their parking habits (aka in driveways instead of on the street) I guess most of them own (instead of rent in) multi-families, which may or may not help in their ability to afford such an overpriced 'hood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City