Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 08:27 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,343,139 times

Advertisements

To pick up some stuff at the new Ikea. I have never been to Red Hook and don't know much about it but I was looking forward to going to the new Ikea. I was pretty shocked at what I saw.....in order to get to Red Hook, at least according to the mapquest directions, you have to drive through housing projects, and a pretty abandoned industrial area. When you arrive at Ikea it seems like the Mother Ship of an Alien Spacecraft had just landed...lots of strange lights and just huge. The Ikea itself was nice, and clearly they recruited almost exclusively, all their workers from the housing projects (which I am sure was required in order to allow Ikea to open there). I was just surprised that they chose that location, as it is not only in a very desolate area, you must also cross through dense housing projects that were not good in any sense of the word. It reminded me of Hunts Point, except Hunts Point has no housing projects. Anyone else agree/disagree? Am I way off base here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 08:40 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,556,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
To pick up some stuff at the new Ikea. I have never been to Red Hook and don't know much about it but I was looking forward to going to the new Ikea. I was pretty shocked at what I saw.....in order to get to Red Hook, at least according to the mapquest directions, you have to drive through housing projects, and a pretty abandoned industrial area. When you arrive at Ikea it seems like the Mother Ship of an Alien Spacecraft had just landed...lots of strange lights and just huge. The Ikea itself was nice, and clearly they recruited almost exclusively, all their workers from the housing projects (which I am sure was required in order to allow Ikea to open there). I was just surprised that they chose that location, as it is not only in a very desolate area, you must also cross through dense housing projects that were not good in any sense of the word. It reminded me of Hunts Point, except Hunts Point has no housing projects. Anyone else agree/disagree? Am I way off base here?
Well here we have a situation where a major chain opens up in a remote location. There could be several reasons including lower rent, allowing job opportunities for lower income people from nearby communities, increased warehouse and stoarge facilities, etc. I'm sure that a cost/benefit analysis was properly done beforehand.

Now, was driving through the projects your main issue? Was there any threat to your life? Is it inconvenient for you because of its remote location or are there other concerns?

Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM

Clearly they opened up there because it was cheap and provided easy access for Manhattan residents. However, those who don't live in Manhattan and drive there (or take the bus which is a whole other mess), must go through serious housing projects, and everything that goes along with that. I was just surprised that they made NO EFFORT to at least beautify the area even a little bit....plant some trees along the way, have employees actively cleaning the area around Ikea, have good signage to let you know that although you are driving through a very desolate area and lots of housing projects, you are indeed going the right way. I had no idea whether it was the way or not...I just kept going deeper into housing projects and started to second guess the directions...that is until I saw the "Mother Ship" that is Ikea.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:55 PM

9,962 posts, read 14,308,713 times
Quote:
Clearly they opened up there because it was cheap and provided easy access for Manhattan residents. However, those who don't live in Manhattan and drive there (or take the bus which is a whole other mess), must go through serious housing projects, and everything that goes along with that. I was just surprised that they made NO EFFORT to at least beautify the area even a little bit....plant some trees along the way, have employees actively cleaning the area around Ikea, have good signage to let you know that although you are driving through a very desolate area and lots of housing projects, you are indeed going the right way. I had no idea whether it was the way or not...I just kept going deeper into housing projects and started to second guess the directions...that is until I saw the "Mother Ship" that is Ikea.
I haven't been there myself, but have friends that have gone a couple times and think similarly. The location is such because IKEA is a destination store, and this is the first one in the city limits of New York City. But, Red Hook itself is a sketchy 'hood for the most part, and gentrification of the 'hood has seriously slowed over the past year.
Is there anything else built up around the store itself?

Old 10-20-2008, 02:01 PM

Not a thing...it is really a barren place filled with industrial blight and housing projects..Ikea really needs to step up and beautify more of the area.

Old 10-20-2008, 02:57 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,199,452 times
Ikeas are usually in out of the way industrial areas. So I'm not surprised. Usually with these big mega retailers they don't switch up the formula much.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:56 AM

938 posts, read 4,087,639 times
So I guess gentrification there has come to a screeching halt:

Curbed: That Was Fast: 'The Degentrification of Red Hook' (http://curbed.com/archives/2007/11/12/that_was_fast_the_degentrification_of_red_hook.php #reader_comments - broken link)
Curbed: Live from Red Hook: A Curbed Network Blogathon (http://curbed.com/archives/2007/11/15/live_from_red_hook_a_curbed_network_blogathon.php - broken link)

Old 10-21-2008, 11:59 AM

3,368 posts, read 11,651,088 times
Quote:
Not a thing...it is really a barren place filled with industrial blight and housing projects..Ikea really needs to step up and beautify more of the area.
It's up to the city to beautify the area. Ikea can just beautify its property. Let's not to lay any blame on Ikea for how crappy the area is. Unless Ikea had an agreement with the City that it would invest in the beautification of the area in exchange for being allowed to develop there, Ikea hasn't breached any duty it has. Unfortunately, Red Hook is a really ghetto area and I doubt it will change any time soon.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:14 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,556,533 times
Quote:
Kknowing that you are as someone who is a pioneer for areas in the Bronx on the verge of redevelopment and who encourages others to explore areas once or still considered less than desirable I'm a little taken back on your dismal perspective on Red Hook.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:06 PM

Cripsy I understand that they are not required to do anything..however it is good for business if people come into Red Hook expecting the worst, and are pleasantly surprised to see that Ikea has gone above and beyond and has members cleaning, planting trees, painting, and other community action that does everyone alot of good. Of course they can always just hide in their corner and worry about themselves...but that is not only unneighborly, it is bad for business and the community. Regarding your comment Miles, I call it like I see it. I equated Red Hook to parts of Hunts Point...it is an accurate assessment. Furthermore, I am from Mott Haven, but I do not expect the rest of the world to resemble it...it is in fact the exception and not the rule in this country, and the city for that matter. So when I see a place that is somewhat similar it is surprising to me. I will never find the extreme poverty and crime normal, acceptable, or expected...so wherever I see it, especially when it envelops a huge store like Ikea...it is surprising.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City