Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 11:56 AM

551 posts, read 1,576,208 times

Advertisements

If you find our trains crowded or the passengers rude, try riding the subway in Tokyo or Hong Kong. The people pack in like sardines, and will continue shoving you along until they can get in the door. Some people ride the packed train in an immobilized state for an hour or more to distant suburbs of Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 11:57 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,377,113 times
Yes huddling around the door also provides you with the ability NOT to be squashed between 5 stanky people...you can have your back to the door and at least have that not pressed against somebody.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:00 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
I always stay by the door. No matter if I have 1 stop to go or 25 stops. I do this because it gives me easy acess to an exit, and eventually when the train gets packed, I would be able to get out with out having to push half the train.

Why would anyone prefer the middle? It's far from the exit, you can't lean on anything, and when it gets packed you probably are not getting out.

I make sure to give people enough room to enter. So what's the big deal? Even if 2 people were standing by the same door, there is usually enough space for them to go in.

And I would not give up my seat for no woman. Please. They wont do the same for me, so why should I for them?

I only stand up for disabled, elderly, and children.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes huddling around the door also provides you with the ability NOT to be squashed between 5 stanky people...you can have your back to the door and at least have that not pressed against somebody.
Its obvious your a door huddler. lol

Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
I always stay by the door. No matter if I have 1 stop to go or 25 stops. I do this because it gives me easy acess to an exit, and eventually when the train gets packed, I would be able to get out with out having to push half the train.

Why would anyone prefer the middle? It's far from the exit, you can't lean on anything, and when it gets packed you probably are not getting out.

I make sure to give people enough room to enter. So what's the big deal? Even if 2 people were standing by the same door, there is usually enough space for them to go in.

And I would not give up my seat for no woman. Please. They wont do the same for me, so why should I for them?

I only stand up for disabled, elderly, and children.
The problem is you are not the only one with the same thought. So you often get a group of about 10 to 15 people by the door. Its not the best distribution of people though. I'm often on the train laughing internally from my seat looking at the crowds of about 15-20 people by the door when there is space towards the middle.

The smart thing to do is to go towards where there is more open space where you can breathe and not have someone's hot breath on your neck, and then just work your way towards the door a stop before your stop.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:12 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
The door is the next best thing to being seated for those who don't know. The only thing that sux is I can't fit so I end up leaning forward a bit so my head doesn't hit the "doorway roof". If the trains are not packed, i lean to the side and "make way". If they are, I step off, and step in last. I have it down to a science....

Old 10-28-2008, 12:19 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,553,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
If they are, I step off, and step in last...
...then someone suddenly takes your place at the door and there's no other choice but to move all the way into the car. Happened to me a lot. F' that. Now I just make space and let the others go out/in. Nobody is going to take my spot.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 PM

473 posts, read 1,670,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
...then someone suddenly takes your place at the door and there's no other choice but to move all the way into the car. Happened to me a lot. F' that. Now I just make space and let the others go out/in. Nobody is going to take my spot.
Like i said I have it down to a science and when it comes to that, i'm in the gym 4x/week and I usually get my way

Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM

3 posts, read 6,532 times
The trains are convenient.

Negative people because of work/annoying teenagers from what little ive experienced.

People DO need to start showering though, most guys and girls for that matter smell like rotten fish.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:27 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc_sport View Post
If you find our trains crowded or the passengers rude, try riding the subway in Tokyo or Hong Kong. The people pack in like sardines, and will continue shoving you along until they can get in the door. Some people ride the packed train in an immobilized state for an hour or more to distant suburbs of Tokyo.
you just described my morning commute in the NYC subway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City