U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 AM

7,527 posts, read 12,714,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson92186 View Post
um... what? Then why I don't I say asians and whites are the majority and hispanics and middle easterner's are the minority?? Why are blacks and hispanics combined? I mean, if you say that then you might as well put indian people in there too, because they are a lot more black than most spanish people. Whites are by far the biggest ethnic group in NYC, first of all. Sure, if you want to combine two or more races together, they are the minority.

Anyways, totally besides the point. Hatred towards whites? No way. And like I said, it doesn't matter at all what race you are, you are welcome to live where you want. However, its hard for me to understand how you think increasing the demand for housing in neighborhoods that are already full to the brim with people is going to help the community. Understood mott heaven, YOUR neighborhood, has some vacant lots and land to work with. But speaking for MY neighborhood, highbridge, it doesn't have room. The vacancy rates are very low to begin with; I don't see a need to try and make every full neighborhood in this city more appealing for people who do not live here so they can put even more pressure on the housing for so many that are already paying over half their income just to pay the rent.

But perhaps rent is a moot point right now while we are witnessing a big time collapse of the heart of this city's economy. Lets face it, this city runs on FIRE, all of which is just being propped in a futile attempt to maintain an unsustainable economic status quo.
"Minorities," are all lumped together in this city. To make one big group. That's the way it has historically been used. So in a sense the term is now outdated, now that minorities collectively outnumber White people.

It has all kinds of connotations though. Personally I don't like using it and never refer to myself as one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 09:19 AM

8,752 posts, read 8,621,339 times
In agree...I never use the term and I think it is dumb! I use person of color..and that suits me just fine...cuz I am sure not a "minority".

Old 11-11-2008, 10:37 AM

3,225 posts, read 5,070,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I And on a side note, you should note that when the city had a policy of disninvestment and abandonment, which essentially sealed the fate of these communities for 30+ years, the community complained RACISM, and blamed the city for all their problems. Now the city is INVESTING in the community to make things better, safer, and healthier, and the residents (like you) are complaining about improvements, complaining that the city is making the area more appealing for "those outside of the community" and that the city is purposely "driving up the rents." What a joke! If you do nothing the city is racist and evil, if you invest in the community the city is racist and evil..see a trend here? Since it is clear you will complain no matter what, I am happy to see the city investing in these communities and making it better for EVERYONE, all NYC residents, including the current residents.

Interesting and accurate analysis of usual reactions. I do believe, however, that the fear longtime rsidents have is NOT in having new infrastructure, facilities, improved conditions, et al, but rather in what usually happens when these developments occur. The area become more desirable to outsiders and real estate values go to a new market level which then displaces them.

There's got to be alternatives for those who feel priced out. After a while there's no place left to run. Relocation to Tennessee, Mississippi, the Carolinas, is not always an option for people in this predicament. There are areas upstate and around he Poconos that have become the new places to be for many fleeing the types of improvements that they cannot afford. Unfortunately, not enough mayors are coming down to lure or invite people to move north upstate as did the Mayor of Schenectady who personally went to Queens several years ago and invited some residents to relocate there for job and housing opportunities. He offered relocation assistance and incentives making the transition easier for many who could not afford to buy homes in the metroplitan area. That was an exception.

So a lot of resentment has to do with fear. Obviously the solution isn't to halt progress and allow neighborhoods to continue a downward spiral. But neither can we have longtime residents living like nomads, luggage always packed and ready to go to a nonexistent new location because they see the bulldozers and cranes moving in.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:07 PM

8,752 posts, read 8,621,339 times
Miles we cannot prevent investment for fear that it will improve the area...isn't that the point of the investment? If it becomes more attractive to others, so what? That's life...let's be serious here..the alternative is to do nothing and let the community sink..oh wait..they complain about that too! NYC is the epicenter of alternatives...there is no other place where Tenants are so protected, there are so many absurd rental requlations, it take 12 months to evict a Tenant, a rightful owner of a building has to pay to get tenants out so he can move in, and the sheer number of Tenant resources/free legal representation/and anti-Landlord bias is staggering. So the idea that Tenants don't have options is ludicrous and more nonsense/rhetoric. But here is an idea..instead of "running" to ever "poorer/affordable" areas, how about you invest in YOURSELF, utilize the plethora of resources available to you, and IMPROVE yourself so that instead of RUNNING from problems you are equipped to HANDLE them and CONTROL your own destiny to SOME degree. The South Bronx is improving DESPITE the nonsensical complaints, usual calls of "racism", and the outright lie of the city/white people/wealthy having a secret X-Files plot to eradicate them. Enough already!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City