Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 02:26 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,924,903 times

Advertisements

I have this problem with my heat. Now, my landlord is such a nice old man, so I feel bad bringing up problems. He's been going through all these serious operations, so I also don't want to stress him out.

Anyway, so here's the problem...there's steam heat down here in my semi-basement apartment (I say semi since it's not really below ground. basically right at ground level), and the sound in the pipes in the celing is so loud after it's been on for about 10 minutes. It's this clinging noise that drives me nuts. I'm a light sleeper, so I'm losing sleep over this everyday. Last winter I brought it up with him and he said stop complaining about it. He said I either deal with it or have my heat shut off. I had only brought it up one time and dealt with it the rest of winter.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: I want to ask him if it's possible if he can put the heat on later in the day just in my apartment. It's a 3 family house. He lives upstairs and apparently doesn't hear it. Would this be possible in a 3 family house? Or does the heat have to go on at the same time?

Other solution is to just ask him not to put the heat on down here and I get a space heater. I know they're dangerous, but I'll need something. Do you know if my electric bill would go up a lot if I use it sometimes during the day?

I need to do something though, because I can't keep losing sleep over this. I've tried sleeping with headphones, but it's so loud that I still hear it.

What in the world is this sound?? And do you think I can request the heat come on at another time? I'm not sure how it works in a 3 family house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 02:34 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,217 times
Heating your apartment entirely with a space heater(s) (more than one will be needed when there is no other heat at all) will cause significant increases in your electricity bill. I know it uses a lot of power because my space heater caused my fuses to blow twice yesterday and that never happened with my air conditioners in the summer. My electricity went down by $150 since I stopped using the air conditioners.

The heat is usually for the whole building, and can only be shut off in individual apartments by turning the valves on your own radiators, as opposed to the LL shutting off the heat for just your apartment. I suspect that the heater being on for anyone, not just your apartment, causes the noise as the heater or boiler is down in the basement, near you. Or is the noise specifically coming from your radiators? You should be able to tell.

I would write a letter to the landlord politely requesting that he do something about this problem. Look at the lease and point out where it requires him to make repairs and let him know this is seriously disrupting your sleep and enjoyment of the premises.

Is this a rent stabilized apartment or a free market apartment? Would you consider moving out if this continues or is it a great deal otherwise?

Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
It happens all the time with those steam pipes. Unless he has 3 different furnaces to heat the 3 different apts, you cannot heat only some units and not others. It is all or nothing...and it is not possible to not have the hot water pass through your pipes without preventing it from going to the other units since you are in the ground level and the heat likely has to pass through your apt to get to the above ones. There really is no solution here, as pipes always bang and hiss, I hate it too. You may want to use some ear plugs..they drown out alot of noise. You can also move to a place that has ductwork (a forced hot air system instead of a boiler), so the clanging sounds never happen.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM

Hmmmn, we have steam heat but I never hear any clanging and banging, though I sure have heard it at many an apartment. Maybe cuz I'm on the top floor? How loud is the banging or is it the usual?

Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM

I remember it wasn't this loud when I first moved in last December. It seemed to get worse as time went on. So you think there's no solution at all?

The sound is coming from the pipes in the ceiling. I only hear it in my living room and bedroom. Not the kitchen or bathroom. I have a pretty small apartment too.

I have lived in about 6 different places over the years, and never have I heard it this loud before. My last apartment had steam heat and I never heard it nearly this loud.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:41 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,569,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I have this problem with my heat. Now, my landlord is such a nice old man, so I feel bad bringing up problems. He's been going through all these serious operations, so I also don't want to stress him out.

Anyway, so here's the problem...there's steam heat down here in my semi-basement apartment (I say semi since it's not really below ground. basically right at ground level), and the sound in the pipes in the celing is so loud after it's been on for about 10 minutes. It's this clinging noise that drives me nuts. I'm a light sleeper, so I'm losing sleep over this everyday. Last winter I brought it up with him and he said stop complaining about it. He said I either deal with it or have my heat shut off. I had only brought it up one time and dealt with it the rest of winter.

Here's what I'm thinking of doing: I want to ask him if it's possible if he can put the heat on later in the day just in my apartment. It's a 3 family house. He lives upstairs and apparently doesn't hear it. Would this be possible in a 3 family house? Or does the heat have to go on at the same time?

Other solution is to just ask him not to put the heat on down here and I get a space heater. I know they're dangerous, but I'll need something. Do you know if my electric bill would go up a lot if I use it sometimes during the day?

I need to do something though, because I can't keep losing sleep over this. I've tried sleeping with headphones, but it's so loud that I still hear it.

What in the world is this sound?? And do you think I can request the heat come on at another time? I'm not sure how it works in a 3 family house.
So this once nice landlord who offered you food and other goodies in the past now shows his true colors when you rightfully complain about the loud, noisy heat situation!

No doubt some other landlords aboard will suggest you just use earplugs and go to sleep.

Quite the contrary, I think you should tell the grouchy landlord that if the problem is not rectified that you will file a complaint with the proper authorities. You are paying a decent rent and in exchange are entitled to a decent night's sleep and amenities one normally expects in exchange for parting with one's hard earned money.

Have a nice polite chat with him. Say, "Listen old fella, I like you a lot. Thanks for all the veggies you gave me in the past from your own supply and for all the niceties you've shown but right now I'm restless at night. Can't sleep. And don't tell me I need a boyfriend. I already have one but because of your noisy heating system he doesn't even sleep over anymore. Now, please fix this problem or let me get someone to correct this matter and have you deduct it from my rent."

Try that first.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:43 PM

You probably have different rights and options if the apartment is a rent stabilized apartment. Is it?

Old 10-29-2008, 02:44 PM

I just feel so bad because he goes out of his way to give me all this stuff. He's really nice and I feel bad complaining to him. He said all this last winter about 2 months after I moved in.

He had told me there's nothing he can do about it. I don't know if he just doesn't want to, or really doesn't think there's anything he can do. I was thinking my dad could do something when he comes up, like play around with the radiators or something, but I don't know if that would help. It's coming from the ceiling, not the radiators.

It's not rent-stabilized and there's no lease. It's a legal apartment though.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:45 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,368,760 times
Miles your continued villification of Landlords has been noted. You are giving BAD advise as you cannot STOP the banging from occuring, it is innate to how these systems functions. Rachel, should you choose to take Miles' horrendous and biased advise by going to the "proper authorities" (who exactly is that..the banging pipes division?), you will not only sour your relationship with your Landlord, he will likely not want to keep you as a Tenant. However, I do believe you should discuss with him and try to find a solution, it might be something simple however I have lived with these pipes and more often than not they will bang and there is not anything you can do about it.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:57 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,930,883 times
About banging pipes: just Google 'banging pipes' and you'll get lots of information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City