Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 AM

4 posts, read 10,027 times

Advertisements

Hi! I a recent grad of FIU and I have two choices on were to start my professional life. I have a job offer from a large bank and they gave me the choice to either stay here in Miami or move and work in New York. This is a tough call for me as I have been living in Miami all my life and I love it here, and everyone i know and love lives here, and I dont know a soul in New York! but i also really want to try something new. Were would be the best place to start a career? Any advice would be great.

Things I am taking inter consideratoin;

Cost of living
Rent
Opportunity
Social life
ect.

FYI My base salary is around 60k a year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 10:15 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,540,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanito109 View Post
Hi! I a recent grad of FIU and I have two choices on were to start my professional life. I have a job offer from a large bank and they gave me the choice to either stay here in Miami or move and work in New York. This is a tough call for me as I have been living in Miami all my life and I love it here, and everyone i know and love lives here, and I dont know a soul in New York! but i also really want to try something new. Were would be the best place to start a career? Any advice would be great.

Cost of living
Rent
Opportunity
Social life
ect.

On 60k per year, you can live a reasonably decent life in a nice part of an outer borough in a studio or one bedroom on your own; or you can live in a decent part of Manhattan with roommates. You can pretty much do without a car and save those dollars toward rent and/or other budgeted items.

We do have some brutal winters occasionally and our summers can get pretty humid. We do manage to endure but coming from Florida the winters will be a big adjustment for you. Our landscape will not include palm trees, ton of beaches, intracoastals, etc., to which you are accustomed down there. But we do have world-class entertainment, education, cultural, job opportunities - though the latter is getting more competitive to navigate owing to our present economic difficulties. But then again, you already have your job offer.

Of course, our weather also has its advantages over yours in that we aren't usually subject to the annual hurricane threats that Floridians must endure each year.

I'd say why not make a short visit for a first hand look. Now is as good a time as any especially with the recent onslaught of cold weather.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:21 AM

185 posts, read 750,146 times
Well, Miami is expensive, but not as expensive as New York.

Rent is same thing, cheaper in Miami, BUT New York has more SUBSIDIZED rent programs if you can get on all the lists and lotteries.

Opportunity, I've heard that the Florida Job Market is less competitive than New York, so Miami will probably have more Opportunity in that sense, But salaries will be MORE in New York.

Social Life is MUCH more diverse in New York. Anything you can imagine, its here, BUT Miami is year round great weather, but social life is VERY VERY Spanish/Latin oriented

Stuff you mentioned above might make me think youre a bit better of in Miami.

Stuff you didn't mention that might be important. Miami = CAR is Necessary. New York = Don't need car. I-95 in Miami is HORRIBLE and pretty dangerous driving. Quality of life is better in New York. It is much safer. Parts of Miami are pretty dangerous and gritty.

Politics, Miami is VERY Conservative for a city (the huge Cuban population) (But its offset by progressive Ft. Lauderdale), New York is pretty much progressive, true blue, from State Politics down to local level. But if you're not a progressive, you'll probably be one once you get here, Its contagious

Winters in NEw York are TERRIBLE at first for someone from Florida. I mean REALLY tough if youre not from up north. You will miss all the rain, because it barely rains here at all. And rarely any of those massive summer lightning wind thunderstorms that look like hurricanes on summer afternoons. The "storms" here a really weak, usually just boring "rain" and like a few thunder bolts if lucky. No tornadoes or anything like that. Most of the year it feels VERY dry compared to the Florida humidity, I choked A LOT on the winter dryness my first year.

BUT, GET AIR CONDITIONER In New York!!!!! We get heat waves like you've never seen. Believe it!. You think you know what heat is, you are in for a surprise. It only happens a few times every summer, but when the heat wave hits new York, ITs like a VERY VERY humid hot feeling of Phoenix style heat. (I guess thats how to describe it) you know how in summer in Florida it sometimes feels like the hot air hits your face like a hairdryer, Well, Multiply that by 10, and you will see what a heatwave feels like here at NIGHT! (YOu have been forewarned , Florida heat in August does NOT compare with a serious summer heat wave in New York, generally occur from June to August in three to seven day increments) And the beaches in NY are ugly in comparison to South Florida.

New York seems more professional at the business level, Miami just seems REALLY laid back. Personally I love Miami, but Quality of Life is a BIG issue for me, enough to make me prefer New York over Miami. And the culture. Miami is cool, but once and awhile change is a good thing. You practically got the whole world here in NY, a different country at every subway stop. BUt it really is close. That and Crime, and the fact that New York is probably THE SAFEST City.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 AM

90 posts, read 421,665 times
I'm also from the Miami area and have lived in New York for a little more than a year now. I much prefer the culture and way of life of New York.

But from reading your post, it sounds like you're getting paid the same whether you're in Miami or NY. New York is MUCH more expensive than Miami. 60k in Miami is 100k+ in New York. One major reason for that is taxes. NY has a city income tax, state income tax, and a big sales tax (more than 8%). You're not even dealing with a state tax in Florida. Housing is also probably twice as expensive.

If I were in your shoes, I might still choose New York. Not only because I like the city better, but because New York is still the banking capital of the country and you might have more career opportunities there later on. Really focus on those costs though.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:38 AM

375 posts, read 1,569,670 times
Quote:

Cost of living
Rent
Opportunity
Social life
ect.

$60K is good enough to get you started here so that's not an issue. But here is something I would consider... perhaps I'm stating the obvious.

I think home is where your friends and family are. NYC has its allure, especially with people just starting out and with no baggage, so you might want to check it out while you are young. But in the end, whether you feel comfortable here or not will have to do with how well you do with meeting new people and making close ties here. I once moved away from NYC because I wanted to get away and try something new, but in the end I realized you feel the most sense of belonging around your friends and family. The "NEW" thing wears out quickly.

One question.... can you move back to Miami and keep the same job if you wanted to move back? If so, then, hey, why not... come and experience the city.

Old 10-30-2008, 11:51 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,156,211 times
Honestly this is just a matter of preference. I would imagine you have more opportunity for upward mobility here, but the job market is also a lot more competitive here.

Miami has a whole other vibe. So again I really do think its a matter of preference.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,631,614 times
Juanito, I grew up in Miami and now live in NYC. Although I really enjoy Miami and think that it is a very unique place, I nevertheless choose New York due to its unparalleled career opportunities and culinary/artistic/cultural offerings. With that said, I always make it back to Miami for Christmastime!

To comment on your questions:

Cost of living - much higher in NY for rental prices; moderately more expensive for dining out, going shopping, etc. However, you will save a lot of money in transportation costs because you do not need a car here. I LOVE not having a car.

Rent - much higher in NY. A two bedroom luxury apartment for $2000/month in Miami will cost $4000/month in prime areas of Manhattan. However, if you go to less trendy areas of Queens (safe areas about 15-45 minute subway ride from midtown or downtown Manhattan) you can find nice two bedroom apartments for $2000/month and under.

Opportunity - more in NY. For banking and finance, this city is unparalleled.

Social life - I think it is better in NY due to that there is a more diverse culinary scene, a diverse offering of bars/clubs/lounges, and many more music venues than Miami. I don't like going out in Miami and having to choose a designated driver or limit myself to one drink. I love being able to let loose here while out on a Friday night on the town without having to worry about driving 10-20 miles home! It's a huge relief and you will love being able to hop on the subway or hail a cab at 3:00 in the morning.

$60,000/year will afford you a comfortable life in NYC with a roommate or two in a nice Manhattan neighborhood. It will also afford you a studio or small one bedroom apartment in a decent area of Queens close to the city like Astoria. I live in downtown Brooklyn (Brooklyn Heights/Cobble Hill) - about a 15 minute door to door commute to my job on Wall Street - and share a two bedroom two bathroom apartment for $2900/month. It's considered a good deal because our apartment is in a nice area and is extremely close to Manhattan but if you rent in an older brownstone building you can find two bedrooms for $2500. You can EASILY afford to share at that price on your salary. Do NOT worry about your salary; you have gotten a fantastic job for someone right out of college and since you are single you will be more than comfortable on that amount.

Don't hesitate to direct message me if you have any more questions.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:46 AM

4 posts, read 10,027 times
you guys have been great thanx for all of the responses, and thanx for being son honest. Ill keep the forum updated with anymore questions I may have and my final choice!

Old 10-31-2008, 08:52 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,540,743 times
Quote:
you guys have been great thanx for all of the responses, and thanx for being son honest. Ill keep the forum updated with anymore questions I may have and my final choice!
Juanito, I see you've posted this thread in both the Florida and NYC Forums. It's great that you're trying to get all perspectives on what may well be a life altering decision.

From a truly personal perspective from someone who's lived in NYC a pretty long time, I would love to be in Florida for half the year - winter months, etc., and in NYC the other half. Now, I'm sure that your banking opportunity won't allow that but I'm only telling you this so that you'll understand that threre really are pros and cons to both places and only you can decide. Maybe you can start your post-college career here and after a few years decide where you want to take roots.

Good luck in making the right decision!.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:12 AM

274 posts, read 1,106,058 times
[quote=crisp444;5932119]
Cost of living - much higher in NY for rental prices; moderately more expensive for dining out, going shopping, etc. However, you will save a lot of money in transportation costs because you do not need a car here. I LOVE not having a car.

This is a FALSE myth that many people perpetuate.

1. Unless you spend thousands to live in Manhattan or close to Manhattan/subway lines, you may need a car.

2. The thousands that you "save" annually by not having a car, is more than eaten up, and then some, by your rent/real estate costs. It's not that most people save money by forgoing a car, it's just that they CAN'T afford a car.

Rent - much higher in NY. A two bedroom luxury apartment for $2000/month in Miami will cost $4000/month in prime areas of Manhattan. However, if you go to less trendy areas of Queens (safe areas about 15-45 minute subway ride from midtown or downtown Manhattan) you can find nice two bedroom apartments for $2000/month and under.

$2000 2-bedroom with ocean view beats living in some plumber's $2000 basement in Queens.

Opportunity - more in NY. For banking and finance, this city is unparalleled.

LOL! Been to Wall St. lately?

Social life - I think it is better in NY due to that there is a more diverse culinary scene, a diverse offering of bars/clubs/lounges, and many more music venues than Miami. I don't like going out in Miami and having to choose a designated driver or limit myself to one drink. I love being able to let loose here while out on a Friday night on the town without having to worry about driving 10-20 miles home! It's a huge relief and you will love being able to hop on the subway or hail a cab at 3:00 in the morning.

NYC is great if you like getting drunk till 4 am. Miami is better if you like giving a ride home to a new friend at 2 am to your "afterparty".

$60,000/year will afford you a comfortable life in NYC with a roommate or two in a nice Manhattan neighborhood. It will also afford you a studio or small one bedroom apartment in a decent area of Queens close to the city like Astoria.

Definitely pick NYC if prefer a "roommate or two" or a "studio".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City