Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 07:39 PM

6 posts, read 48,464 times

Advertisements

Would living in Upper West Side be a really far stretch for me to get to school at Columbia's medical campus, and still be able to have fun downtown?

And is the cost of living there incredibly expensive? I am on a starving college kid budget
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 07:46 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Nope. Actually that's a good compromise because it's between downtown/midtown and the Columbia Med School. However, prices are pretty high. Try looking in the Morningside Heights area (just to the north of the UWS) for slightly more inexpensive rentals.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 PM

6 posts, read 48,464 times
What neighborhoods are around Columbia? I can't really tell from my handy dandy google map.

I'm searching on craigslist for listings and Harlem, Washington heights, Financial District (?!) pop up! Where are these places??

Old 10-30-2008, 08:01 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,117 times
Dizzymisslizzy - I have lived in some pretty cool nabes in and around Manhattan (UWS, UES, Williamsburg, Montclair NJ) and the UWS is by far my favorite! However, it will be terribly expensive to someone on a starving-student budget. But, wherever you end up - you should visit the UWS often for fun, great shopping and restaurants, cool laid back people, the river, the park, etc.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM

939 posts, read 3,385,098 times
Uws?-nyc.gif

This may help.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:21 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,063 times
Columbia is in Morningside Heights, which is just to the north of the UWS. 110th Street or so is the boundary between the two neighborhoods. North and east of Columbia are various parts of Harlem. Financial District is a bad choice; far from school, nothing to do, and expensive.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Dizzymisslizzy - I have lived in some pretty cool nabes in and around Manhattan (UWS, UES, Williamsburg, Montclair NJ) and the UWS is by far my favorite! However, it will be terribly expensive to someone on a starving-student budget. But, wherever you end up - you should visit the UWS often for fun, great shopping and restaurants, cool laid back people, the river, the park, etc.

Good luck!
Agreed. I live here on the UWS and it's the only part of Manhattan I would ever live in.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:24 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Sorry, but I have to disagree: the UWS IS expensive. VERY expensive. I went to Columbia for medical school and most of the students live in the neighborhood and Columbia housing which is a good buy for decent apartments right near the medical center. I lived in the neighborhood (the give preference to those coming from outside the immediate area for housing), and thought that, because of the A train, it was extremely convenient. I could be in midtown in 20 minutes and it was no problem. It wasn't until I graduated and was working (and not an intern or resident or fellow) that I could afford the UWS.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:35 PM

283 posts, read 1,072,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Sorry, but I have to disagree: the UWS IS expensive. VERY expensive. I went to Columbia for medical school and most of the students live in the neighborhood and Columbia housing which is a good buy for decent apartments right near the medical center. I lived in the neighborhood (the give preference to those coming from outside the immediate area for housing), and thought that, because of the A train, it was extremely convenient. I could be in midtown in 20 minutes and it was no problem. It wasn't until I graduated and was working (and not an intern or resident or fellow) that I could afford the UWS.
Who are you disagreeing with? Everyone said it was expensive. But if the OP can afford it (one thing I've learned: "starving college kid budget" means completely different things to different people), it would be pretty ideal.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:44 PM

52 posts, read 233,909 times
Actually the UWS has some pretty good deals right about now...a lot of the landlords are actually footing the bill for the brokers too so you can get an apartment with no fee for a pretty nice monthly rental uptown. As you look around keep that in mind ok?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City