U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 02:00 PM

27 posts, read 49,117 times

Advertisements

I moved here a month ago, and dropped about 5k in the first couple weeks on first/last/deposit at the apt, furniture, gas to get here, etc.

Granted, I had a significant amount of money saved, but I can't really see anyone being able to move here with much less than that and no steady work right off the bat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 03:08 PM

394 posts, read 858,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by room402 View Post
Thank you all for your input. I am hoping to move before the class of 2009 graduates so I can beat that crowd to the job search. So hopefully a March or April 2009 would be my moving date. I am very excited to move and when I am feeling down or unmotivated (especially while waiting tables) the fact that I will inevitably move to NY really motivates me.
Beat the crowd in the job search? LOLLLL!!! Thats really funny.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 AM

3 posts, read 24,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
**** yes
yes yes yes

Old 06-27-2010, 03:58 AM

3 posts, read 24,702 times
And good luck!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-27-2010, 10:33 AM

40,059 posts, read 20,017,663 times
There isn't really a formula, because nobody can tell you what you can afford--and how responsible you are with your finances.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:58 AM

120 posts, read 310,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by room402 View Post
I am a marketing major seeking work in non-profit or any type of marketing that is for a good cause rather than just advertising for Tide detergent or something silly like that. I would like to work for a firm that raises awareness for breast caner or another good cause.
Good for you! Very refreshing to hear.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:07 AM

102 posts, read 123,337 times
I think $3500 will be fine for me. I'm moving from Cali with a friend and we're gonna get a place with a mutual friend who already lives there, so deposit/first/last month's rent will all be equally divided.

My dad will drive me there so I can bring some of my larger furniture items (bed, dresser), too. Therefore I'll only have to pay for gas.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,982 times
I love NY- But it's so expensive to get going and then to keep going... I lived in Alabama for several years.. paying $675 for a two bedroom HOUSE- HUGE backyard and a front porch. This was IN the city Huntsville too...... In NYC I'm getting such a great deal paying only $1500.00 a month in a two bedroom. of course the apt falling apart and my neighbors would gladly stab me for a nickel.... but at-least I have a roof over my head right?? :S

Old 07-07-2010, 12:36 PM

102 posts, read 123,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Scott View Post
I love NY- But it's so expensive to get going and then to keep going... I lived in Alabama for several years.. paying $675 for a two bedroom HOUSE- HUGE backyard and a front porch. This was IN the city Huntsville too...... In NYC I'm getting such a great deal paying only $1500.00 a month in a two bedroom. of course the apt falling apart and my neighbors would gladly stab me for a nickel.... but at-least I have a roof over my head right?? :S
Why don't you find a roommate to help cover the cost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City