Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2007, 02:51 PM

359 posts, read 2,589,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggz View Post
What's wrong with these areas Red Hook, Crown Heights, Bed-Stuy, East NY, Brownsville, and Flatbush areas.
Not much. The only neighborhood I wouldn't choose is Crown Heights, and thats only because it is very racially seperated. Flatbush is no where near as bad as it was 5 years ago. Bed-Stuy is still kinda of iffy. But it has tons of brownstones so you know the yuppies will just rush in there. East New York is still not great but my friend who works as a construction working in the city said that alot of empty lots in East New York have been filled in with nice housing so thats a positive. Only thing is East New York has or "had" the one of the worst ranked public schools in America. I say had because it was shut down completley because of extremely low graduation rates. Im not sure what the high school is now. Brownsville is starting to see a renewal too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2007, 06:32 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,857,577 times
There's nothing wrong with any of those neighborhoods except that they all, with the exception Red Hook, lead the city in Homicides. The 75 Pct (East New York) has lead the city in Homicides for the last decade and the 73 Pct(Brownsville) has had one of the worst per capita Homicide rates in NYC since the 1960's. Flatbush is hard to generalize because it is so big, but the 67 Pct is the worst area in my experience. The southern part of Flatbush still has some nice blocks. Crazy Kid, would really feel comfortable walking from the subway station at New Lots Ave to an apartment on Blake or Newport Ave?

There is very little regard for human life in most of these areas among the criminals. The drug traffic is still significant even though it has been pushed off the street corners into less conspicuous places. Like I've said many times before... they are all safer neigborhoods than they were 10 years ago, but why recommend them to a newcomer when there are so mnay better places in the city.

Old 04-13-2007, 07:06 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,921,252 times
Some of those sections are not good areas for foot travel especially in the pm. If you read the original post that is an issue for them and they did not mention segregation at all. Crazy has his own special panorama and the op may or may not be hip to that.

Old 04-14-2007, 08:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,000 times
I commend your adventurous spirit and if there is one thing about New Yorkers is what they know, is always The Best.

I am from Ohio, and was an artist, conformity - anyway, I have lived aLLLLL over Crooklyn and what I have discovered by way of Grand, after 11 years, is the following areas, wherever you can find rent for $1200-$1800 for two, DONT pay more - you need your money for friends visits.

"south slope" by any realtor standard is "near gowanus canal" or industry - ****ty air, nice pads
"prospect heights" could mean, little vietnam - aka near the Brooklyn Museum on the Parkway - and ****ty Key Food grocery however, GREAT old buildings
prospect park near Butler, Plaza or some other grande dam street name is FANTASTIC and near the 2/3 or F
STAY AWAY from Sunset Park unless you like vermin and noise
the best areas of all time in brooklyn that never change are
Brooklyn heights (think exterior cosby show scenes, unless you have Corcoran or Wiliam B May broker give it up - the neighborhood is owned by brokers)
Downtown brooklyn - loud and stinky but convenient as hell
the rest are the same, F, G, and what not, AWESOME brownstones:
Carroll Gardens
Boerum Hill
Cobble Hill
around "Smith Street area" and Atlantic Ave

if you are really desperate, a word to the wise, RED HOOK! It is sooo up and coming it will make DUMBO look like LIC.

problem is, only buses work there now, which totally sucks! BUT the rent you pay may level the cab fare home on late nights instead of high rent.

Good luck!!!

Old 04-14-2007, 10:37 PM

449 posts, read 1,123,234 times
Red Hook?? I'm thinking of Redhook-near Rhinebeck is this the same small town Red Hook?

Old 04-15-2007, 01:09 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,228,637 times
Rhinebeck?! Noooo... Red Hook is a neighborhood in Brooklyn. Home to a developing artist community, old industrial buildings, some interesting waterfront spaces, and unfortunately an IKEA store in the not-too-distant future.

Old 04-15-2007, 07:14 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,642,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woofenstein View Post
Ignorance and HATRED?! Listen, I'm from near-Flatbush (Church Ave.) and have lived in the S. Bronx, and I'm Dominican. Both halves. I am NOT filled with hatred, self- or otherwise. And I am NOT ignorant. The reason I joked that way was because I was poking fun at how people (especially young Caucasian ones) who decide to move to the city, esp. Brooklyn, tend to gravitate to the standard areas and would probably avoid the areas I mentioned like the plague. Sorry if that's funny to me. With the exception of East NY and Brownsville, which I've only been to a handful of times, I feel alright walking in all those neighborhoods alone at night, and have done so, because I'm not an idiot. I would prefer trekking to Bed-Stuy than Williamsburg, which *I* in turn avoid like the plague. Even though I'm in my 20's and would be expected to love it.

Maybe you found my joke mean, but lighten up, and stop assuming that people who don't follow your ultra-sensitive guidelines are hate-mongers. And try and remember that having this discussion in the first place is better than staying "PC" and shutting up.
Damnit...you're fired.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:13 PM

359 posts, read 2,589,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Some of those sections are not good areas for foot travel especially in the pm. If you read the original post that is an issue for them and they did not mention segregation at all. Crazy has his own special panorama and the op may or may not be hip to that.
I was just giving my opinion. The original poster didn't mention he WANTED a segregated area. Just trying to give a little in sight here.

Old 04-19-2007, 12:07 PM

28 posts, read 160,461 times
Prospect Heights have lots of 2 bedrooms that are perfect for a share. We pay like $1600 for a real 2 bedroom two blocks from Brooklyn Museum subway stop (2/3). It's rent stabilized. We looked at several in that price range before picking our current one.

You can walk to Park Slope and Prospect Park from there but Vanderbilt Ave in Prospect Heights is also happening nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City