Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 01:08 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times

Advertisements

A lack of mixing occurs due to common ground. People with the same common ground will usually be friends. You cant expect Russian immigrants to be tight with the Mexican immigrants, usually they stick with their own people due to more shared interests and cultural background. You probably wont be seeing many kickball playing hipsters hanging out with the guys from the boxing gym or vice versa. The same goes for any race/ethnic background, occupation, economic background, hobbies, personality types, etc.

The lack of mixing is why New York is still considered diverse. If even quotas were fulfilled in every neighborhood across the board, the next generation or two would be one bland mixture of all races with no distinct attributes. The individual would lose his or her uniqueness and people would converge toward each other, making the city less interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2008, 01:16 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Yes Miles, let's just get a room as our good friends have suggested. LOL now my husband will read this and again mistakenly think I'm flirting in the NYC forum..
Hi all, this is a friend of Miles shutting off his PC. He just left town in a hurry, suitcase packed, car pointed to Mexico, no forwarding address.

Have a good day and Miles wishes you all the best..and your siginificant others too.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:23 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Hi all, this is a friend of Miles shutting off his PC. He just left town in a hurry, suitcase packed, car pointed to Mexico, no forwarding address.

Have a good day and Miles wishes you all the best..and your siginificant others too.
Good move, he's 6'3" with a bad temper..though he could easily be nicknamed "floco" LOL.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
A lack of mixing occurs due to common ground. People with the same common ground will usually be friends. You cant expect Russian immigrants to be tight with the Mexican immigrants, usually they stick with their own people due to more shared interests and cultural background. You probably wont be seeing many kickball playing hipsters hanging out with the guys from the boxing gym or vice versa. The same goes for any race/ethnic background, occupation, economic background, hobbies, personality types, etc.

The lack of mixing is why New York is still considered diverse. If even quotas were fulfilled in every neighborhood across the board, the next generation or two would be one bland mixture of all races with no distinct attributes. The individual would lose his or her uniqueness and people would converge toward each other, making the city less interesting.
When I skateboarded all over the city in the 90's we had a multi ethnic crew that could match the United Nations.
We had separate crews for different areas of the 5 boros and we would converge in Manhattan for the weekends.
Our crew from South Brooklyn was comprised of Russians, Italians, Irish, Philipinos, Ecuadorians, Mexicans, Chinese, Koreans, Dominicans, Puerto ricans, and African Americans.
We would meet crews like this from across the city. The ones from the Bronx and uptown manhattan, Williamsburg and Bushwick tended to be less diverse consisting of mostly Dominican and Puerto Rican.
Queens and Staten Island crews were very diverse, but once you got us all together, usually beginning at City College on 136th it was amazing. We'd skate down to the Brooklyn Bridge from there with 100 deep!
About 100 Kids of all demographics and cultures with about $5.00 between all of us.
We skated together, took care of eachother, and supported one another. We'd skate through some of the toughest parts of the Bronx without a problem and with some of the whitest looking kids in the city.
It was good times and diverse times.
After the scene died down alot of us went to jail, got shot, entered a life of crime.
I wish we had more documentation of it, when I was 15 some National geographic guy followed us around like we were a wild species

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 11-12-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 11-12-2008, 02:12 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITC View Post
This is one of the most astute things I have ever heard on this forum. New York would lose its uniqueness if people completely stopped clinging to their ethnic and cultural traditions. It's great to have a diverse set of friends, it's fine to marry someone of another race or ethnicity, but this would be a much less interesting place if we lost our Italian, Chinese, Mexican, and African-American enclaves. Everyone should feel welcome in any neighborhood in the City but I find no problem with people choosing to live around people they find to be similar to themselves. This diversity of enclaves is really what makes this City unique compared to most other places in the world.

Old 11-12-2008, 02:44 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,370,266 times
Yes..and there is a difference between having an ethnic enclave and celebrating it, and PREVENTING others from moving in and BLAMING others for changing THEIR neighborhood. You can have a very nice ethnic enclave and STILL have a diverse population, but somehow people cannot understand this. It is much easier to play the blame game.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:46 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,491,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quelinda View Post
Good move, he's 6'3" with a bad temper..though he could easily be nicknamed "floco" LOL.
floco? or flaco?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:57 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
That's a good point, it's nice to go to Jackson Heights specifically for Indian food or Flushing for Chinese food. It's like visiting the world with the 7 train! I also like that as a Filipino dude I can go to 125th and eat at Sylvias and feel welcomed and also go to any ethnic neighborhood on roosevelt ave (except maybe parts of corona) and enjoy the hospitality of the locals. Astoria is an example where everyone pretty much lives amongst each other and while i love it, if the whole city was like that, it wouldn't be as interesting, you're right!

Old 11-12-2008, 04:11 PM

1,867 posts, read 4,077,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjma79 View Post
floco? or flaco?
Yes, flaco I believe, though I know a bunch of spanish its just from being with spanish people not from schooling so forgive my spelling. I dont say my "s" either (gracia). And I say comment estas cometa haha.

Old 11-12-2008, 04:12 PM

718 posts, read 2,324,664 times
And I am sure this was an interesting experience because you were all from those different backgrounds. I am just making the point that if everybody mixes eventually these differences converge and we all become the same person. The United Nations experience you had will be gone. Picture yourself with perfectly mixed 8-ethnicity individuals a few generations from now living in suburban Tulsa. I GUARANTEE you life would not be as interesting, and no National Geographic guy would follow you around.

Please do not take this out of context as an opposition to people freely moving, dating/marrying across barriers, etc. I am just stating a fact: meeting interesting people who bring new things goes hand in hand with having diverse backgrounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
When I skateboarded all over the city in the 90's we had a multi ethnic crew that could match the United Nations.
We had separate crews for different areas of the 5 boros and we would converge in Manhattan for the weekends.
Our crew from South Brooklyn was comprised of Russians, Italians, Irish, Philipinos, Ecuadorians, Mexicans, Chinese, Koreans, Dominicans, Puerto ricans, and African Americans.
We would meet crews like this from across the city. The ones from the Bronx and uptown manhattan, Williamsburg and Bushwick tended to be less diverse consisting of mostly Dominican and Puerto Rican.
Queens and Staten Island crews were very diverse, but once you got us all together, usually beginning at City College on 136th it was amazing. We'd skate down to the Brooklyn Bridge from there with 100 deep!
About 100 Kids of all demographics and cultures with about $5.00 between all of us.
We skated together, took care of eachother, and supported one another. We'd skate through some of the toughest parts of the Bronx without a problem and with some of the whitest looking kids in the city.
It was good times and diverse times.
After the scene died down alot of us went to jail, got shot, entered a life of crime.
I wish we had more documentation of it, when I was 15 some National geographic guy followed us around like we were a wild species

It is hard to sometimes celebrate changes if things turn for the worse. One person or a few people can only do so much. Do you think Arthur Ave is a great place to celebrate culture? Outside of the eating, food shopping and bumping into people you know, its an empty shell of what it used to be.

I think whats different about this hipster and yuppy takeover is that they are not working class immigrants pushing out other ethnic working class people. They are often trust funders or people with Manhattan jobs that tend to be transient and add less value to the area than another ethnic group would have. They most likely will not raise a family in NY as they have no long term intentions of establishing roots in their neighborhood (unless its the upper east side with an unlimited budget). Yet they replace working class families. I think thats what upsets people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Yes..and there is a difference between having an ethnic enclave and celebrating it, and PREVENTING others from moving in and BLAMING others for changing THEIR neighborhood. You can have a very nice ethnic enclave and STILL have a diverse population, but somehow people cannot understand this. It is much easier to play the blame game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City