Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 03:01 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,244,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraw View Post
Wouldn't you have to get an ok fgrom the board of ed for that? I thought you teachers were required to take a neutral stance. Although it doesn't take a genius to know that 99% of them are ultra liberal vegan types. What's the racial composition of your school? There are school districts where you would be run out of town for reading that book.
So what are you saying kids shouldn't be allowed to learn about politics or current events? The man was just elected president. You can't be serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 03:03 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Wouldn't you have to get an ok fgrom the board of ed for that? I thought you teachers were required to take a neutral stance. Although it doesn't take a genius to know that 99% of them are ultra liberal vegan types. What's the racial composition of your school? There are school districts where you would be run out of town for reading that book.
ecraw, you were obviously referring to Rachel's post which is like, 6 posts above your reply!

Here's how you do it - if you see a post that you want to reply to, click on the "QUOTE" tab at the bottom right, it'll bring you to a screen where you can then reply beneath the quoted post.

Otherwise we'll be lost trying to figure who you are replying to. For a moment I thought you were mumbling to yourself.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:47 PM

78 posts, read 316,307 times
thank you. I thought the quick reply would connect to the post.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,592 times
Quote:
You can read books and still take a neutral stance. You read history books on different presidents in school, why couldn't you read a book about our next president???

I personally don't agree with banning any books in school. A teacher should be professional about it, but children should be exposed to a variety of books, and learning more about our next president is not a bad thing...

Old 11-11-2008, 04:04 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
So what are you saying kids shouldn't be allowed to learn about politics or current events? The man was just elected president. You can't be serious.
Yeah, what he said!

Old 11-11-2008, 04:07 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Sharp post. I also hope Obama can inspire people to get off their backside and put in some work. There is this Korean family that owns a dry cleaner up the block. The lady is in there working from 630am to 0630pm six days a week. They have only been in the country less than ten years. Let me see someone tell her that racism is going to stop her. Could racism even put a dent in that juggernaut? I think not. That family has the respect of everyone that knows them. Hard working people are what this country is about. If you want sloth and a free lunch go to Denmark(48% income taxes).
What is this post really about? There are plenty of Black owned businesses all over this city. Have you ever heard of Sylvia's Restaurant and her nieces restaurant called Melba's in Harlem. There many more, all types of businesses in all 5 boros. There will always be a percentage of people from all racial and ethnic groups that will remain unemployed or underemployed in the US.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:12 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,543 times
ecraw, this is getting embarrassing. So, let me sum up what I have heard you "say" in just the last few hours over two threads. Hippies=Commies. Blacks=Drugs and Violence. The only reason a white person would go into a black neighborhood would be to teach, provide social services or to buy drugs. A gathering of black and latino people necessarily means it would likely end in violence. Teachers are almost all liberals and vegans....(Have I left anything out?)

And now, it is your opinion that a teacher shouldn't read an incredibly uplifting, inspiring book about OUR NEXT PRESIDENT?

Last edited by NYCwoman; 11-11-2008 at 05:30 PM..

Old 11-11-2008, 05:16 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,543 times
By the way, I just posted a bunch of photos (on another thread) of the types of white guys and gals that hang out regularly in Mott Haven. Care to tell me which ones are the drug dealers and which are the social workers...

Old 11-11-2008, 08:17 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
I've got to comment here ecraw.

We've passed the stage of presidential campaigning and a president has been democratically elected. Leading up to the elections and fresh in the aftermath of the results there has been much anxiety, hype, and unfair characterizations coming from both sides. And especially since America will now have its first non-white/African-America/Biracial President, the inevitable racial innuendos against geographical areas, regions, even individuals have had their play. Now, I daresay it's time to move on.

The president-elect will be the president for all of America and as such one need not challenge the neutrality of a teacher who wishes to secure a book about an incoming president of our great country. The issue of partisanship has long passed its due date and we are now in another arena.

We've moved from campaigning to soon-to-be inauguration and to moving forward together to address and solve the pressing issues affecting us all - the economy, our jobs, relations with other countries, the war in Iraq and Afghanistan. The latter especially have both exacted a heavy toll on our national pyche, our faith in our government, and in human costs in lives forever lost, maimed, and in emotional, physical, psychological scars that for some will never go away.

Let us move forward and learn as much as we can about all our elected officials - and especially our presidents. Reading about them can only make us better educated citizens as we exercise our rights to express ourselves in all legal ways to help our country to be the beacon of hope that it has been for so many generations.

Yes, ecraw, Rachel is in good standing to teach her young students about an American president and to have them learn by reading and as they grow older they will have the tools to make their own judgments.

To recognize Mr. Obama as our president does not mean that we ought to give him a free ride, that we must remain muted and voiceless as decisions are made and policies are being addressed. It does not mean that we cannot or should not critique his presidency. The greatest respect one can give our incoming president is to treat him as we Americans have always treated our presidents in the past - we respect the high office of the presidency, we honor its occupant, but we speak out loudly when we feel that errors in judgment, policies, and decisions will have an adverse consequence for us.

So ecraw, let's move past the need to chastise a teacher for recommending a book about a president-elect to our high office. In fact, why not PM the teacher, befriend her, and perhaps ask her to secure a copy for you too? And happy reading!

Old 11-11-2008, 10:37 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NooYowkur81 View Post
I kept hearing people blaring horns and cheering until I dozed off. I haven't seen people this excited about an election ever in my lifetime.
Let's see how happy they all are four years' from now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City