Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 01:17 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
Not true. I work with welfare folks. I get complaint on the daily about hating WEP (Work Experience Program, the mandated Welfare-to-Work program for public assistance recipients in NYC), wanting to get off PA, and wanting a job so bad. Don't you know, when I try to set these folks up to write a resume, go to a job counselor, or sign up for a GED/ESL/etc. training to help them get a job, maybe 40% actually make those appts. That's not wanting a job, that's called playing the system. I do budgets with people and financial literacy. Ok, I have clients playing welfare and Section 8, clients who work off the books AND get welfare, food stamps, Section 8, etc., and I have several who have $100 sneakers, Coach and Gucci purses, have cable and internet yet cannot pay their rent or food bill.

Not everyone on welfare is lazy or trying to get over, but I know folks on a personal basis AND work specifically with these types of clients, so I do have alot of experience with them. People on Section 8 and welfare usually aren't on it because they are upwardly mobile scholars, they're on it (usually) because they're single mothers who can't afford the kids they have, who are getting over, sometimes because they are the legal guardians of children (such as grandkids, nieces, and nephews, etc.) whose parents cannot care for them, etc. Some have lost their jobs, but they usually aren't on PA for long. With most folks I see, it's a ingenerational thing (I often see people with children and siblings on Section 8, for example). Food stamps is another story, however. Those people usally are distitute.
I'm confused, you said my statement was not true? But you kinda said it could go both ways? Some are lazy, but some are not?
You pointed out there exists a culture of poverty throughout generations.
Maybe this is due to crime, poor schooling, no role models, discrimination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 01:18 PM

308 posts, read 680,163 times
Just a quick couple of thoughts. Its not enough to give a man a fish, but to teach a man how to fish. Workfare is better than welfare and yes there are those who need welfare when the going gets tough and then there are those who abuse it and live off it. There are those who are in poverty through no fault of their own and there are those who are poor because they are lazy. Yes, there are lazy people. My other comment is in regards to law. The law is to protect us. To protect us from the consequences of breaking the law. By nature we have a natural inclination and propensity to break the law since we are selfish and put our own interests above the interest of others even if that means bringing harm to others. Guilt is useful since it acts as a deterrance from committing acts that would bring harm to either ourselves or to others. Its that little voice, called a conscience that can save us from alot of pain and grief. Thank you for taking the time to read this and allowing me to share my thoughts with you. Love and peace to you all.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 AM

396 posts, read 1,008,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
I'm confused, you said my statement was not true? But you kinda said it could go both ways? Some are lazy, but some are not?
You pointed out there exists a culture of poverty throughout generations.
Maybe this is due to crime, poor schooling, no role models, discrimination?
I think your statement is mostly untrue. However, to address your rationale for people being on welfare, crime and lack of role models is very weak. That is to assume that nobody is strong enough to better themselves and achieve a decent lifestyle. Discrimination, poor schooling? Possible, but again, very week as I have clients who have been educated only to elementary and middle-school in some cases who are NOT on welfare. It's all what the person chooses. Bad luck is usually not the case, in other words.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:33 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sha83 View Post
I think your statement is mostly untrue. However, to address your rationale for people being on welfare, crime and lack of role models is very weak. That is to assume that nobody is strong enough to better themselves and achieve a decent lifestyle. Discrimination, poor schooling? Possible, but again, very week as I have clients who have been educated only to elementary and middle-school in some cases who are NOT on welfare. It's all what the person chooses. Bad luck is usually not the case, in other words.
I think that there are sufficient cases of indolence that notwithstanding the absence of discrimination and poor schooling, those individuals would still remain unmotivated to reach out, work hard, and attain the good things in life. As a former instructor in trade schools where the student population included many form inner city neighborhoods, I've seen a lot of that.

However, there are also legitimate cases of a cycle of poverty, broken homes, absentee parent or parents, and discrimination leading to apathy and missed opportunities. As is often the case in life there are always grey areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City