U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:52 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,791,225 times

Advertisements

I told my students that Obama wrote a book and now they want me to read it to them. I'll have to find it in the library.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,919,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
If that is what they think they they will only disappoint themselves. Obama's winning was not so important in my mind (as a black man) because he will save the inner city youth. He is important because he shows, if you are willing to put the work in, you can achieve ANYTHING in America now. Will it be easy? NO! Is racism dead? Not by a long shot! But if you are savy, if you have determination, will power and know how you can make anything happen. I hope the youth take this time to really reflect and decide to put some real work in.
Sharp post. I also hope Obama can inspire people to get off their backside and put in some work. There is this Korean family that owns a dry cleaner up the block. The lady is in there working from 630am to 0630pm six days a week. They have only been in the country less than ten years. Let me see someone tell her that racism is going to stop her. Could racism even put a dent in that juggernaut? I think not. That family has the respect of everyone that knows them. Hard working people are what this country is about. If you want sloth and a free lunch go to Denmark(48% income taxes).

Old 11-08-2008, 10:37 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,791,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Sharp post. I also hope Obama can inspire people to get off their backside and put in some work. There is this Korean family that owns a dry cleaner up the block. The lady is in there working from 630am to 0630pm six days a week. They have only been in the country less than ten years. Let me see someone tell her that racism is going to stop her. Could racism even put a dent in that juggernaut? I think not. That family has the respect of everyone that knows them. Hard working people are what this country is about. If you want sloth and a free lunch go to Denmark(48% income taxes).
I wish some of the parents in the area I teach in would do that. A lot of my kids tell me that their parents don't have jobs and do nothing all day, yet they collect money from us taxpayers. Maybe there will be less people like that.

Old 11-08-2008, 11:05 PM

6,704 posts, read 10,830,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Great Post!
Thx,

I meant it from the heart. I am from Brooklyn, I know how tough it is out there, especially in inner cities. I never thought in a million years Obama would be elected. I voted for him, not because he was black but coming from a economics background (what my degree is in), I liked what he was saying better. I also feel he is a true beacon of hope. Now minority children have more than just gangster rappers, sports players and street thugs to look too for inspiration. They also see that its not just a fortunate few who make it. Obama came from a situation much like many inner city youth, his grand parents raised him. I have seen that scenario play out one to many times around my way.

Don't get it twisted though, Obama did have a lot of money backing him from the usual suspects however, his campaign was just flawless. He used the internet and grass roots approach so effectively. I really hope these kids see how to play "the game" now. One highschool girl was interviewed during the celebrations in Brooklyn. She said "no more torn up books, I can actually learn now". I really hope she doesn't think Obama will wave a magic wand and make that go away. Another kid says "We have to do better now". I hope these kids see, if school situation is messed up, youtube that ish. Mobilize the youth to march on Manhattan (again). Get more youth voting, start showing these politicians that if they don't do right by them, they will have to pay for it by having their job taken away. Getting mad, calling white people all sort of racial names and being apathetic doesn't work. They/we have tried that for the last few generations, and its ineffective.

Check out this guy link he is out there doing something. I hope more young teenagers and men start formulating a plan and really getting it done. Another thing I saw that i really liked was a citizens arrest in Brooklyn a few months back. Kid tries to stick some dude up and slash him with a razor. People in the community ran him down, and held him until the cops came. This guy was filming the whole thing and he wouldn't let anyone touch the robber. Said nope, let the cops deal with him, we will just hold him until they come. I hope a lot of neighborhoods take note of that. especially with bloomberg talking about slashing 1100 police officers jobs. We can get it done people, just decide to make it happen and it will.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:47 AM

78 posts, read 198,931 times
Sounds dangerous. Were there any fatalities? Flatbush was once a great area. I was reading about the animals who are one trial for shooting those two young cops in flatbush.

Old 11-11-2008, 10:12 AM

821 posts, read 255,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecraw View Post
Sounds dangerous. Were there any fatalities? Flatbush was once a great area. I was reading about the animals who are one trial for shooting those two young cops in flatbush.
Here is a video, I'm the guy with the Obama sign:

YouTube - Obama Celebration Street Party in Brooklyn - Awesome

Old 11-11-2008, 12:56 PM

Default flatbush has changed a lot!!!!!!!!

Yeah, I thought as much. I never get over that way much. Partly because I worry my car might break down and I would be robbed and killed. No surpise the schools in flatbush suck.

Old 11-11-2008, 01:21 PM

467 posts, read 1,161,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Here is a video, I'm the guy with the Obama sign:

YouTube - Obama Celebration Street Party in Brooklyn - Awesome
Sweet. That's an awesome video!

Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM

8,752 posts, read 9,689,708 times
Yes thats a great video...nice to see the smiles and energy...we need more of that!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 PM

Wouldn't you have to get an ok fgrom the board of ed for that? I thought you teachers were required to take a neutral stance. Although it doesn't take a genius to know that 99% of them are ultra liberal vegan types. What's the racial composition of your school? There are school districts where you would be run out of town for reading that book.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City