Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 03:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,933,384 times

Advertisements

This is really what the country and world need. Not only politically, but culturally. Let me tell you, the kids I teach in the south Bronx never really think of their futures. I've never met kids before that didn't have any dreams about what they wanted to me. I came in the next day and I had never seen them so happy. They suddenly started talking about what they want to be when they grow up and how the world is going to be different. Not only is our country going to change for the better, but I really think the minority areas in cities are going to see a big improvement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2008, 03:47 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
Rachel this is a PRIME opportunity to use this turn of events and make it personal for them, and inspire them to work hard, and be whatever it is they want. Talk about what their dreams are, and let them now they can achieve them the same way Obama did..byt staying in school, being true to your principles and morals, and striving to do "the right thing". You have a BIG opportunity now to redirect these kids...USE IT!

Old 11-06-2008, 04:55 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
This is really what the country and world need. Not only politically, but culturally. Let me tell you, the kids I teach in the south Bronx never really think of their futures. I've never met kids before that didn't have any dreams about what they wanted to me. I came in the next day and I had never seen them so happy. They suddenly started talking about what they want to be when they grow up and how the world is going to be different. Not only is our country going to change for the better, but I really think the minority areas in cities are going to see a big improvement.
Walking home this evening, I overheard the cutest little boy (Latino, and couldn't have been older than 5 or 6) who was just beaming with joy reminding his mom that she had promised to buy him a frame for the newspaper photograph of Obama that he wanted to put up in his room!!!! I melted!

Cost of frame: $9.99
The feelings our next President has already instilled in this boy: PRICELESS!

Old 11-06-2008, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCwoman View Post
Walking home this evening, I overheard the cutest little boy (Latino, and couldn't have been older than 5 or 6) who was just beaming with joy reminding his mom that she had promised to buy him a frame for the newspaper photograph of Obama that he wanted to put up in his room!!!! I melted!

Cost of frame: $9.99
The feelings our next President has already instilled in this boy: PRICELESS!

nice moment--that should be made into a commercial

Old 11-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
Rachel this is a PRIME opportunity to use this turn of events and make it personal for them, and inspire them to work hard, and be whatever it is they want. Talk about what their dreams are, and let them now they can achieve them the same way Obama did..byt staying in school, being true to your principles and morals, and striving to do "the right thing". You have a BIG opportunity now to redirect these kids...USE IT!

Yep, I've started doing it already. When this particular student of mine gets upset, he often says "I never want to go to school again." He knows all about the election and looks up to Obama a lot. I say to him, "If you leave school, you won't be successful like Obama." That usually makes my kids straighten up fast.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:17 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,350 times
Quote:
Yep, I've started doing it already. When this particular student of mine gets upset, he often says "I never want to go to school again." He knows all about the election and looks up to Obama a lot. I say to him, "If you leave school, you won't be successful like Obama." That usually makes my kids straighten up fast.
Awwww...Now these stories personify the perfect definition of Hope.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:00 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
And people love to claim "we don't need someone who can just give good speeches." We see the impact he has already had BEFORE he even gets to office....

Old 11-08-2008, 06:43 PM

467 posts, read 1,684,435 times
Quote:

Aww this made me smile!! I know my kids were all going in the halls saying "Obama!!!" They are all excited. It is especially great for young black males, and latinos to see this. A black man as their president. A role model. And it does show them that if they get an education, dream big, and work hard for something, they can succeed. =)

Old 11-08-2008, 07:16 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudbeckia View Post
Out my windows we could here people on my block shouting "go black people go balck people go!" after he won.

It was fun to see everyone so excited.

However, I fear these people think Obama is going to swoop in and change their lives, and make everything better. When in fact only they can do that, not Obama, not the government.

I hope Obama does not disappointment them.

However much I am unsure with some of what Obama wants to do, I do think it is great we elected a African American (or part African American) president, I think it shows our country has come a long way.
If that is what they think they they will only disappoint themselves. Obama's winning was not so important in my mind (as a black man) because he will save the inner city youth. He is important because he shows, if you are willing to put the work in, you can achieve ANYTHING in America now. Will it be easy? NO! Is racism dead? Not by a long shot! But if you are savy, if you have determination, will power and know how you can make anything happen. I hope the youth take this time to really reflect and decide to put some real work in.

Old 11-08-2008, 07:51 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
If that is what they think they they will only disappoint themselves. Obama's winning was not so important in my mind (as a black man) because he will save the inner city youth. He is important because he shows, if you are willing to put the work in, you can achieve ANYTHING in America now. Will it be easy? NO! Is racism dead? Not by a long shot! But if you are savy, if you have determination, will power and know how you can make anything happen. I hope the youth take this time to really reflect and decide to put some real work in.

Great Post!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City