U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-05-2008, 04:31 PM

2,888 posts, read 4,718,682 times
Default Visiting the Met.Opera. Any suggestions?

I plan on seeing "Doctor Atomic" on saturday starting at 1pm. I never been to the opera, the lady said I can get rush tickets starting at 10am, for only 20 or 30 dollars. She said lines normally form long and they become sold out. I'm only going here for extra credit. Any thoughts? I bet it's gonna be real boring. Is it like a play with a storyline or just singing like :::hAuwwwwww:::?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM

7,081 posts, read 23,370,055 times
Opera is opera: there is no spoken dialogue. Operetta has a bit of spoken dialogue but in real opera, the plot moves forward through music and all the dialogue is sung.

I know nothing about the opera you've mentioned - I just know the usual: Carmen, Traviata, Lucia di Lammermoor, Turandot, etc.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:43 PM

9,196 posts, read 14,505,540 times
It should be interesting for you, since it's a contemporary opera from San Francisco. It's related to Oppenheimer and set amid the Manhattan Project and testing of the atomic bomb.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:32 AM

3,954 posts, read 4,591,250 times
You've never been to an opera before? Why did you choose Dr. Atomic?

I'm an opera composer and I see new operas all the time. I saw Dr. Atomic last night and found it very boring. The "libretto," that is the text of the opera, is very vague and lacking in drama (there are reasons for this that I won't go into here).

I always encourage new people to attend the opera, but I think you should choose the right opera for your first time.

If I may offer a suggestion, why not see Madama Butterfly instead? It's a spectacular production (the best at the Met, in my opinion).

Old 11-06-2008, 08:39 AM

2,888 posts, read 4,718,682 times
thanks for the info. I have to watch this particular one because it has a poem that's recited at the beginning of the intermission and that's really what I need to pay attention, I might even leave after that poem. We're talking about poems in this Literature class and my teacher's nutty so I thought I could see something new n get extra points. Next time im in the city maybe I'll want to see one people like, I have fam coming for the holidays from UK..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City