U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 08:09 PM

3,225 posts, read 5,421,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
but the housing office has guidelines and would have to approve of something like that. i think the lease says you'd have to get approval to do that. and the way it works is when the landlord gets a new fridge he charges you 1/40th of the cost of the new fridge indefinitely. and this does not even count the oven/broiler which has a problem too
Does he still get to charge 1/40 if you use your own funds to buy the fridge. Doesn't seem right, seems you should get a reduction, but then I'm not familiar with your specific lease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 08:19 PM

11,592 posts, read 15,937,908 times
Default I suppose...

he might say "thanks for buying me new equipment for free" , LOL!

I was just thinking about having the amount deducted from the rent indefinitely but again the housing board would have to approve something like that, if it can be done lawfully at all. I'd never lay out anything without the approval of the housing office

Old 11-08-2008, 08:20 PM
DAS

2,276 posts, read 3,790,145 times
Contact the Metropolitan Council on housing. They have attorneys that give advise for every kind of tenant situation. For example apt house, private house, rent control, rent stabilization, and market rate renters. They will not represent you in court, but they will give you step by step advise on what to do and how to go about it. If you go to their weekly walk in clinic you should bring a copy of your lease. I am not only posting this info for you their are others with the same problems. Every apt in NYC should have a properly working stove, refrigerator, plumbing and heat. This is the law.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Default this is not...

the same place as the DHCR which handles these problems?

Old 11-08-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
Contact the Metropolitan Council on housing. They have attorneys that give advise for every kind of tenant situation. For example apt house, private house, rent control, rent stabilization, and market rate renters. They will not represent you in court, but they will give you step by step advise on what to do and how to go about it. If you go to their weekly walk in clinic you should bring a copy of your lease. I am not only posting this info for you their are others with the same problems. Every apt in NYC should have a properly working stove, refrigerator, plumbing and heat. This is the law.

very good advice and info.

Old 11-08-2008, 08:53 PM

Default Thanks...

for that info. I see that a landlord does not have to make a repair if the item is not a necessity and just an amenity or if the item was already repaired (whatever on earth that means)

otherwise the metro housing site tells me that i have to go the route of sending the landlord a letter by certified mail and then following up with the housing office(DHCR)

Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 PM

Default Miles...

NYC does not have an automatic repair and deduct law, I just found out, so I can't repair it myself and deduct it from the rent

Old 11-08-2008, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
NYC does not have an automatic repair and deduct law, I just found out, so I can't repair it myself and deduct it from the rent
I'm just a little curious about something - say my stove malunctions and doesn't work. My landlord refuses to repair or replace it. I've got to eat, so I go out and buy a stove to cook as I know filing all the relevant papers will take some time and I don't wanna starve in the meantime as I can't afford to buy three meals a day.

Curious as to how that would play out from your analysis and readings of the regs, etc.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:19 PM

Default well..

if it came to that he would have to repair it since you can't use it at all

what is wrong with my stove isn't the stove(works well) per se but the oven and broiler--- they have to be lit thru the burner area with a match--it should be lit with a knob/dial or a match. so technically the oven/broiler works, but who wants to do that(light with a match) all the time?

as for the fridge, it leaks water into the bottom drawer so i can't use the bottom drawer and the space in the remaining 2 shelves is crampedas he**

but DHCR says he has to repair those things

Old 11-08-2008, 09:27 PM

Default in the scenario you mention

you would definitely be filing a complaint with the landlord a helluvalot faster than i am because you'd have a crisis situation. in my case, the appliances are not working as they should be

you'd be requesting an order for reduction in rent due to a reduction in service

the way i believe the rent office words it is that the landlord first has to offer to repair it or give you a refurb and if you don't want a repair or replacement (refurb) unit then you have to pay for a new one via a rent increase

so if you don't want to pay extra rent you'd have to accept a repair or a refurb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City