Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM

5 posts, read 24,937 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm planning to move to uptown Manhattan and I have zero furniture. Does anyone know of good used furniture stores in the area, particularly ones who deliver? I've been looking through Craigslist, but I don't have the means to go pick up someone's old couch. I just don't know how everyone else is doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 25,666 times
Have you looked in Rent-a-center? I'm not sure if they're in Manhattan, but there are a few in Queens.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:54 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,662 times
Salvation Army.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bama! View Post
Salvation Army.
last time i went there and they asked me why i'm there, i said, "furniture," and their guys showed up at my place with a doily to haul my rocking chair away.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:22 PM

5 posts, read 24,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraspTheMoment View Post
Have you looked in Rent-a-center? I'm not sure if they're in Manhattan, but there are a few in Queens.
No, I haven't. I don't much about Rent-a-center. Don't you have to pay per month?

Old 11-10-2008, 01:54 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayahatori View Post
No, I haven't. I don't much about Rent-a-center. Don't you have to pay per month?
You do, and most consumer advocates recommend against such contracts, since you pay many times the value of the goods received and the weekly/monthly payments represent a very high interest rate. Plus, in some jurisdictions, they have penalties for paying late and penalties for paying early (subject to local laws).

Check out Ikea for some inexpensive new furniture, since they do have basics at good prices, and you can arrange home delivery. Then, you can add pieces as you need to, either finds from antiques dealers, used stores, etc. Here's a link to their catalog: Welcome to IKEA.com Ikea has a store in Red Hook, Brooklyn, Elizabeth, NJ, and Paramus, NJ.

Even if you only buy a bed and a couple of chairs and a small table to start with, you're better off than dealing with legal usurious practices from the "rent to own" places.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:29 PM

348 posts, read 1,248,410 times
My Apartment is filled with Housing Works Thrift Shop fabulous finds. There are about 5-6 stores located throughout the city. Moving and apartment sales are also a great way to get cheap furniture. Or rent a car, go out to nice neighborhoods in Jersey (like Montclair for example) and go to garage sales. It's amazing what you can find if you put in a few weekends and some effort! Good luck!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:14 AM

9 posts, read 29,151 times
Housing Works on 18st between 6 & 7 (on the uptown side) has some terrific stuff. I've bought a vintage designer living room chair and a set of 4 Mexican hardwood chairs. They are very discerning, and only stock things that are interesting. For basic furniture, go to the big Salvation Army store on 46st and look on the 3rd floor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City