Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 09:49 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
Man are tech jobs that hard to find? You may need to relocate because my brother lives down south and actually tech jobs are in abundance!! Plus this is sad news for me I am studying in the tech field because I have a useless management degree that has not earned me a penny since June!!
where down south? I live in south florida and have looked for IT jobs in Nashville, Atlanta and South Florida and jobs are far and few. Know one guy who left NYC for Atlanta. He was a network admin in NYC. He has not been able to find a IT job in Atlanta for the past year. Now he works at home depot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 09:54 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
where down south? I live in south florida and have looked for IT jobs in Nashville, Atlanta and South Florida and jobs are far and few. Know one guy who left NYC for Atlanta. He was a network admin in NYC. He has not been able to find a IT job in Atlanta for the past year. Now he works at home depot.
It is getting like that people with degrees without jobs; can make you get depressed. From my understanding places like Raleigh, NC and Huntsville, AL (1hour:30 mins from nashville)have some nice tech jobs esp Huntsville whose whole economy is off of defense and IT.

Old 11-09-2008, 09:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,358,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynight View Post
It is getting like that people with degrees without jobs; can make you get depressed. From my understanding places like Raleigh, NC and Huntsville, AL (1hour:30 mins from nashville)have some nice tech jobs esp Huntsville whose whole economy is off of defense and IT.
I believe that 100%. Friend of mine looked for tech jobs in some rural-ish areas in Florida and was able to get a few offers. Me personally, I can't move to areas like that unless I absolutely have to. Also, yeah your right, I know enough people who have degrees and experience but can't get a job. Its tight right now every where.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:00 PM

13 posts, read 44,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 009 View Post
Are you willing to learn another trade? What are your interests? You can always take civil service exams. I've applied for about 9 different exams just in case and rejected most of them. It doesn't hurt to apply for one. It's usually $30 or $40 per exam application. Here are current filings for this month: DCAS Monthly Exam Schedule and here's a list for upcoming filings:Yearly Exams Schedule. Look under open competitive.

Yes, I agree. Civil Service exams are definitely the way to go. I think I paid $30 for mine and one you pass, you'll receive different letters of job offerings in your area. Even if you decide to reject them, it's still a wonderful back-up opportunity.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:23 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,059,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky View Post
Yes, I agree. Civil Service exams are definitely the way to go. I think I paid $30 for mine and one you pass, you'll receive different letters of job offerings in your area. Even if you decide to reject them, it's still a wonderful back-up opportunity.
That is true,but even civil service isn't hiring right now. There are hiring freezes all over. Civil Service is for the long term,takes years in most cases to get hired. He needs to find a job before his unemployment runs out. But if he was making over $100k yr I am sure he has a large emergency fund.

As a matter of fact somebody that I know who used to work in IT became a bus operator with the MTA. He took a very large paycut but he said he did it for the benefits and job security.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:17 AM

317 posts, read 1,144,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraspTheMoment View Post
Hey everyone.... long time listener, first time caller... LOL

hey, here goes. Right now I'm on unemployment. I'm making a whopping $405 dollars a week, which works out roughly to $10.00 an hr.

here's my question. I'm being forced to look outside the tech world, and since I don't have any other skills, retail and warehouse jobs are my only options, most of which pay $8.00 an hr.

Now, If I take an $8 hr job, then I loose my benefits, and I loose money. Now, I'm not looking to mooch off the government anymore than I have to, but I'm not sure what I should do. Here I am, 33, and taking unemployment for the first time in my life!

Any help?
Best of luck to you, chief. I'm in the exact same situation as you - I was in the tech field, too.

I don't have any sage advice for you, unfortunately, but hey, you're not alone.

I was considering taking a part-time job, because that doesn't necessarily make you lose your benefits... but I'm not sure if that would really help.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:31 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,107 times
I took some civil service exams for accounting and it took them two years to call me. And they weren't working their way down a list either - that's just how long it takes. If there is another career you can train for you might be able to get your benefits extended. When I was laid off after 9/11 I was able to go back to school full time and finish my degree and collect for 1 year instead of the 6 months. The "looking for work" thing is weird. They told me I had to keep saying I was looking for work even though I was accepted into the education thing and couldn't possibly be looking for work.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:56 PM

5 posts, read 11,801 times
Default Responding to GraspTheMoment

Hi GraspTheMoment,

Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain. I lost my job in the IT industry with a salary of $150K + OT over 6 months ago. I live in Dallas Texas where there are suppose to be an abundance of IT jobs, well if anyone knows who is hiring please let me know. I recently accepted a banking position for 10.50hr and part time because that's all this company is hiring for at this time.

I'm trying to stay positive and look at this as temporary. The company that hired me is a pretty large bank so I'm hoping I can move up internally and get back into my true profession in IT which I love.

Good luck to you,
Kymba

Last edited by kymba; 11-10-2008 at 01:58 PM.. Reason: Correction

Old 11-10-2008, 09:49 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,097 times
Damn that's depressing to hear. Best of luck to all of you that lost your jobs, sometimes it's a blessing in disguise. In a related story I saw some 45 year old investment banker dressed in a suit and tie with a bristol board sign that said "almost homeless, wall street banker, please take a resume or donate" standing outside of grand central where people line up for cabs. Everyone was staring and pointing at him like it was some publicity stunt. Sad thing is I think it was real, sign of the times! (no pun intended)

Old 11-11-2008, 11:38 AM

487 posts, read 1,363,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymba View Post
Hi GraspTheMoment,

Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain. I lost my job in the IT industry with a salary of $150K + OT over 6 months ago. I live in Dallas Texas where there are suppose to be an abundance of IT jobs, well if anyone knows who is hiring please let me know. I recently accepted a banking position for 10.50hr and part time because that's all this company is hiring for at this time.

I'm trying to stay positive and look at this as temporary. The company that hired me is a pretty large bank so I'm hoping I can move up internally and get back into my true profession in IT which I love.

Good luck to you,
Kymba
150k? didn't know IT pays that much...?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City