Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2008, 11:44 AM

16 posts, read 35,633 times

Advertisements

I am a high school senior in NC preparing to graduate in June, and i am absolutely clueless of what college/university I want to attend. I really want to attend a college in or close to a major city like New York (I’ve been looking at Manhattanville College, CUNY New York City, UNCC, anyone with info about these?). I want to be somewhere where opportunities are abundant and life is vibrant. I read some of the comments people leave, where they name all the places they've been and the different situation they've endured and it's just amazing! I want to be just like that; able to tell people of the places and experiences I’ve had. If you have any suggestion on schools, that aren’t too pricey (I am the 2nd oldest of 5) please leave a comment. I am just a wide eyed southern girl with big city dreams, can you blame me!

p.s. what are some of the careers you all have that allows you all to travel so much? If this question is too personal for you to answer, then I completely understand!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 08:45 PM

4,437 posts, read 7,655,250 times
What do you want to major in?

How much is your budget? Scholarships? Taking out loans?

Have you investigated/called/visited each of the schools named? What do they offer?

Do you want to go public or private?

Old 11-11-2008, 09:03 PM

82 posts, read 305,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gurlfromthea777 View Post
I am a high school senior in NC preparing to graduate in June, and i am absolutely clueless of what college/university I want to attend. I really want to attend a college in or close to a major city like New York (I’ve been looking at Manhattanville College, CUNY New York City, UNCC, anyone with info about these?). I want to be somewhere where opportunities are abundant and life is vibrant. I read some of the comments people leave, where they name all the places they've been and the different situation they've endured and it's just amazing! I want to be just like that; able to tell people of the places and experiences I’ve had. If you have any suggestion on schools, that aren’t too pricey (I am the 2nd oldest of 5) please leave a comment. I am just a wide eyed southern girl with big city dreams, can you blame me!

p.s. what are some of the careers you all have that allows you all to travel so much? If this question is too personal for you to answer, then I completely understand!
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

could help you better if we knew what kind of grades & money you have.

If you are top of your class and parents have unlimited finances or scholorship then Columbia is the 1st choice.

Old 11-12-2008, 01:42 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,511,967 times
Don't go to college in NYC--you'll need too much cash and you'll feel like a pauper. Go somewhere that has a program that you like, a campus that makes you happy, a nice social life, something you can afford without going into major debt. You might want to go to graduate school or further.

I traveled a lot in my career in book publishing. And I had to quit when I had a baby, because they wanted me to go on a week long trip my first week back from maternity leave. So be careful about those low paid glamour girl jobs! (This includes advertising and magazine publishing, but I suspect all of these industries are close to death. Public relations is another big one--can you hear my retching?)

Choose something you can do for life. Be a doctor or a nurse, something helpful to others. Take nice vacations if you want to travel....

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 PM

32 posts, read 257,290 times
I disagree with the person above me. Going to college in NYC is a great experience and so different from everyone else. I moved here from Las Vegas to go to college (although I went to college in LV for 2 years then transferred to NYU). If you're worried about meeting people, there is a company that houses NYC students in buildings all over manhattan and brooklyn. I don't know if I can link it here but just google NYC student housing. I did it and I've met so many great people. I have a lot of friends from out of state who attend the cheaper colleges in Manhattan like Hunter, Baruch, and Marymount Manhattan. You should look into those 3 if you're on a budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: