Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 10:50 AM

47 posts, read 210,240 times

Advertisements

It really depends on where you live. I have a south/west view (all the afternoon sun) so I pay about $60/mo for a 700 sqft 1 bedroom. Depending on how hot Jun-Sep is, i've paid as low as $70 and as high as $120.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 7,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Childs View Post
This is a couple of years after the last post, and after a 14% rate increase for ConEd (really - 14%). Monthly electric bill averages $130 without A/C, goes up to $250/mo with A/C. In a 1BR apt with only 4 circuits and 1 of those has no load at all. Can't understand it.

thats actually really funny you said that.. me and my gf live in the upper west side.. and i'll admitt we have our habits of using extra energy nd im a tech freak so i use the computers alot... and xbox.. but anyway..

our average bill w/o AC is around aswell 130-140... and this is our first summer here..and i just got our first bill for may-june... 230! i was freakin BLOWN AWAY.. im not even sure tahts right b/c we were away in florida for a week nd a half and i fail to believe that out of a month (not including a week nd a half) that we could of used up that much energy.. we were pretty ontop of the AC usage and nothing more than usually i would of thought.. ugh.. im even scared to turn the tv on now..

Old 07-11-2010, 04:51 AM

22 posts, read 56,579 times
People in many states, including ConEd customers, now have the right to choose who they buy their electricity supply from due to deregulation. I know my company is saving 20-50% off kwh rates.

In a deregulated market, the local utility is reduced into an electricity delivery company. This makes it possible for customers to choose an alternate source for the generation portion of their bill which is approximately two thirds of their total cost. All customers continue to rely on their local utility to deliver their electricity, provide service and reliability, read their meter and in most cases, bill the customer. This portion of the electricity service remains the same.

You now have the choice!

Old 07-12-2011, 12:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,078 times
Our electric bill is like $175 - I swear we use less a/c than most people, and switched ALL bulbs to cfcs, and it was like $75 a few years ago. The electric rate in nyc must have jumped past few years...

Old 07-12-2011, 12:41 PM

113 posts, read 291,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlong63 View Post
People in many states, including ConEd customers, now have the right to choose who they buy their electricity supply from due to deregulation. I know my company is saving 20-50% off kwh rates.

In a deregulated market, the local utility is reduced into an electricity delivery company. This makes it possible for customers to choose an alternate source for the generation portion of their bill which is approximately two thirds of their total cost. All customers continue to rely on their local utility to deliver their electricity, provide service and reliability, read their meter and in most cases, bill the customer. This portion of the electricity service remains the same.

You now have the choice!
This is true, but in NYS/NYC, the alternative suppliers are not always a money saver. You still have to pay Con Ed for "delivery charges" and IME, the total was higher than sticking with Con Ed. Moreover, there is no easy way to comparison shop. The alternate suppliers do not quote price, supposedly due to the fact that electicity prices fluctuate month to month.

When de-regulation was enacted more than a decade ago, I switched to an alternative supplier. I've tried two others in the last 10 years and now I'm back with Con Ed and my bills are cheaper than they used to be with any of the others.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:55 PM

1,602 posts, read 1,914,784 times
I live in a studio, and my bill in the winter/spring was around $50 a month. Just got my bill for June (when I started using the AC), and it was $170. Yikes.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:10 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,374,651 times
And it's not just the cost of electricity being so high (I believe we pay the highest or second highest of anywhere in the country), but there are so many taxes, fees, and surcharges tacked on it's robbery. The gov't knows we have to have electricity...it's an easy way to increase revenue by just piling on taxes.

Old 07-12-2011, 01:14 PM

2,848 posts, read 7,579,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylun View Post
thats actually really funny you said that.. me and my gf live in the upper west side.. and i'll admitt we have our habits of using extra energy nd im a tech freak so i use the computers alot... and xbox.. but anyway..

our average bill w/o AC is around aswell 130-140... and this is our first summer here..and i just got our first bill for may-june... 230! i was freakin BLOWN AWAY.. im not even sure tahts right b/c we were away in florida for a week nd a half and i fail to believe that out of a month (not including a week nd a half) that we could of used up that much energy.. we were pretty ontop of the AC usage and nothing more than usually i would of thought.. ugh.. im even scared to turn the tv on now..
Wow that seems really expensive. How big is the apartment? Maybe you leave a lot of things running during the day or plugged in?

We pay around $80 in the winter for electric. In the summer it's about $120 a month.

Old 07-15-2011, 06:35 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,069,384 times
Can anyone complaining about the high cost of electricity spell out just HOW high per kwhr?
Just take your total bill including EVVERYTHING, taxes and all and divide by the number of actual killowatt-hours used.

I see numbers on the web that are all over the lot. (My own electricity is included in my maintenence so I cannot do my own bill.)

Old 07-15-2011, 09:15 AM

542 posts, read 1,478,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
I live in a studio, and my bill in the winter/spring was around $50 a month. Just got my bill for June (when I started using the AC), and it was $170. Yikes.
Similar, May bill was $60; June bill $145 (very large 1 bedroom with 2 people--also have cats so have to leave fans running all of the time during the day when we are not here due to the heat (3rd/top floor walk up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City