Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 09:58 PM

456 posts, read 1,396,972 times

Advertisements

Insecurity maybe? Living in Harlem and having had many encounters with the newest throng of hipsters in the "hood" and on the A train, I am getting a little weary of the attitudes. Well, sometimes... At other times I find the whole situation funny, weird, curious... They kind of act like high school kids (reformed nerds) who are trying very hard to be cool, but who think that being cool means putting down everyone else around them. Most people just ignore them, but I am a big people watcher, so I tend to notice patterns. As a writer and singer-songwriter, I also like to understand, to get to the bottom of things. So, what's up with the uptown hipsters? What do you think lies beneath all the posturing? What's going on there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2008, 10:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
Insecurity maybe? Living in Harlem and having had many encounters with the newest throng of hipsters in the "hood" and on the A train, I am getting a little weary of the attitudes. Well, sometimes... At other times I find the whole situation funny, weird, curious... They kind of act like high school kids (reformed nerds) who are trying very hard to be cool, but who think that being cool means putting down everyone else around them. Most people just ignore them, but I am a big people watcher, so I tend to notice patterns. As a writer and singer-songwriter, I also like to understand, to get to the bottom of things. So, what's up with the uptown hipsters? What do you think lies beneath all the posturing? What's going on there?
Well Indi, a hipster is someone who thinks of himself/herself as being real cool and tries real hard to project this image. There's a lot of insecurity for many as living up to an image perpetuated by others on the hipster train is not always easy.

See not all hipsters are born hipsters - some attain that status via association with others carrying the label and thus bow to peer pressure and hang the label on themselves also. Others are mistakenly called hipsters by natives because they are outsiders moving in to neghborhoods with backpacks, nose rings, ipods, cells, faded jeans and outdated skirts, and affected accents simulating Valley girls when many are from Midwestern or New England towns and this is their first foray away from the home turf.

I daresay that it's not just our uptown hipsters who appear misguided, sometimes obnoxious and misplaced geographically and mentally. These are universal trademarks of a hipster. Perhaps the ones you see in Harlem and on the A train have just narrowly been able to retain the much coveted status of Manhattan hipster thus qualifying to look down on hipsters from other boroughs They might be putting everyone else down as an artificial means of elevating themselves - but probably succeed in doing so only among themselves. For as you quite accurately surmised, most folks just ignore them.

Unfortunately, unlike with other creatures who are ignored, these just won't go away.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:09 AM

78 posts, read 316,273 times
Just ignore them. They leave after a few yrs of saving cats and protesting worthless causes. They realize this isn't the nyc they saw on tv. They usually reach their mid 20's and then decide it's time to make something of their lives. Those that don't relinquish their idiotic lifestyle usually pack it up and move on to the next "cool" city.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:50 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Default Just a self-satire, my friends....

To all the hipsters out there, I'm just being whimsical. I'm not one of the fellas who blame hipsters for all the trials and tribulations in life. I'm just giving indi something to give her a few laughs.

Actually this is self-stire as I've often overheard ladies say to each other as I take an afternoon summer stroll in the park, "Why, isn't he real hip!" Perhaps it's my green trousers, shoulder belt straps, yellow shirt, red tie, Nike sneakers and blue socks, and polka dot parasol on a sunny day, that impresses them so much. As I head to the Central Park Zoo each summer Saturday, map outstretched and magnifying glass in hand (I tend to get lost every time) I often hear them say, "Here comes the hipster again!"

Being a hipster is not an easy task and I've decided to let them salivate a little before stopping to chat. My status of hipster allows me the privelege to leave a trail of mouth-watering ladies and to walk the parks elegantly and with well earned airs.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:02 AM

184 posts, read 359,548 times
Quote:
A++ post

also applies to Williamsburg, Greenpoint, and Bushwick

Old 11-15-2008, 09:04 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
the culture of disrespect.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:06 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
Quote:
So would you rather they act Thuggish/Ghettoish? Will you be ok with them then?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:20 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
If I were living in the "hood," hipsters would be the least of my worries. A rude hipster is not going to mug me. I've never heard of a hipster home invasion or a hipster hooker or a hipster hitman.

Old 11-15-2008, 09:23 AM

184 posts, read 359,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrusjul View Post
So would you rather they act Thuggish/Ghettoish? Will you be ok with them then?
the name of the game is be respectful of your surroundings and remember that the African American community in Harlem was there way before these hipster clowns were born in 1988

same way with Williamsburg- Williamsburg was once a neighborhood known for dodging bullets- and know it's known for dodgeball (sigh....); gentrification only works when you can respect the people who were there first without forcing them out or making them feel unwanted by a bunch of segregationist artsy hipster communes

and its not about acting a certain way- its about assimilation to your surroundings- same way if you moved into any neighborhood- understand that these communities have many working people trying raise families and live normal lives- they are not- to the surprise of many non New Yorkers- trying to be gangsters all day long selling drugs all day

people in Harlem don't need a bunch of skinny pants wearing, florescent sunglasses trendhoppers in the neighborhood being obnoxious 24/7/365

if hipsters want to live there- then cool live there- but don't bring in this chip on your shoulder that you have to prove how cool or how down you are with trends or culture and be respectful of people

my $.02- these hipsters might pop all kinds of trouble, but in reality- the thing that they are most afraid of is being judged- go to any Bedford L Train bar and see a bunch of hipsters bouncing around to the most gangster rap but would they go to C-Pac or Temptations in Flatbush and do the same thing?

Old 11-15-2008, 09:36 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
^ What you just wrote can also be apply to immigrants. They come here and bring their own values and cultures and dont care about how the people there were living. So you will hate on them aswell?

NYC is a city full of diversity and different likes, all trying to live toguether. even though they don't have to like eachother. I like that NYC. Hipsters, Immigrants, White, Black, Hispanic, Asians, Proffesionals, Working Class, Middle Class, Poor, Yuppies or even the Thuggish types, LOL. That is NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City