U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:59 AM
 
Location: I currently live in Pennsylvania.
22 posts, read 99,620 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

I visited the Bayside area last weekend located in Queens, NY. I found it somewhat frustrating, as no one knew how to go about finding an apartment there without going through a broker. I do not want to pay a broker fee, and pay a landlord a large amount of money either. I am considering the Master's program in Education at St. John's and I have been told that District 26 is the best school district in the Queens area. Can anyone help in suggesting ways to find an apartment?

COG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-15-2008, 01:31 PM
 
Location: Queens
536 posts, read 2,134,708 times
Reputation: 167
My family found our apartment in Bayside when my mom's boyfriend noticed a for rent sign hanging up in a second-story window. so... no, don't have much advice, haha.

By the way, good luck getting a job anywhere in 26, it's virtually impossible aside from straight-up nepotism. Even many Long Island districts are probably easier to get your foot in the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 06:39 PM
 
Location: I currently live in Pennsylvania.
22 posts, read 99,620 times
Reputation: 13
Thanks for the information, even though you had no advice as far as the apartment, you did tell me my chances of getting into the school district as a teacher. I actually mentioned the school district because I have a school aged child. But, what is meant to be, will be.

Thanks again,

COG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 06:46 PM
 
3,225 posts, read 7,658,355 times
Reputation: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Of God View Post
Thanks for the information, even though you had no advice as far as the apartment, you did tell me my chances of getting into the school district as a teacher. I actually mentioned the school district because I have a school aged child. But, what is meant to be, will be.

Thanks again,

COG

i have a strange feeling that your name is scaring people away or making them feel nervous to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 09:27 PM
 
11,224 posts, read 21,660,986 times
Reputation: 8819
I don't understand the "what is meant to be will be" thing... does that mean you shouldn't bother trying to accomplish anything? Why would you bother trying to find a non-broker apartment if what's meant to be is that you will have to use a broker? I don't mean to be rude- I really don't get it.

On a practical level, common wisdom in NYC says that using a broker is the fastest, easiest way to get an apartment and you will have more options open to you if you do use one. If you choose not to, you will have to spend more time looking and you may pay more in rent. I don't have specific info about Bayside, but my impression is that most of NYC operates this way. There are threads on this forum that discuss this issue in more detail.

And the specific answer to your question is that if you want an apartment rental without a broker, you have to pound the pavement, knock on doors, speak to supers, and look for signs and ads in local papers placed by landlords.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 11:44 AM
 
468 posts, read 2,129,538 times
Reputation: 225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
If you choose not to, you will have to spend more time looking and you may pay more in rent.
I don't think "pay more in rent" is correct. Without a brokers fee you're paying less... it's just harder to find a place w/o a broker because they have a stranglehold on the market here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 12:40 PM
 
Location: I currently live in Pennsylvania.
22 posts, read 99,620 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't understand the "what is meant to be will be" thing... does that mean you shouldn't bother trying to accomplish anything? Why would you bother trying to find a non-broker apartment if what's meant to be is that you will have to use a broker? I don't mean to be rude- I really don't get it.

On a practical level, common wisdom in NYC says that using a broker is the fastest, easiest way to get an apartment and you will have more options open to you if you do use one. If you choose not to, you will have to spend more time looking and you may pay more in rent. I don't have specific info about Bayside, but my impression is that most of NYC operates this way. There are threads on this forum that discuss this issue in more detail.

And the specific answer to your question is that if you want an apartment rental without a broker, you have to pound the pavement, knock on doors, speak to supers, and look for signs and ads in local papers placed by landlords.
What I meant by what is meant to be will be" is this: If I ultimately have to go through a broker then I will, if I can find an apartment without going through one, then I will.

And, also I meant that if I am meant to get into the school district then I will, I am going to try by applying. And, if I do not, then it was not meant for me to teach in that district, but by all means I am going to apply.

Sorry if I confused you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 12:45 PM
 
Location: I currently live in Pennsylvania.
22 posts, read 99,620 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
I don't think "pay more in rent" is correct. Without a brokers fee you're paying less... it's just harder to find a place w/o a broker because they have a stranglehold on the market here.
That is exactly what I wanted to say. I do not want to pay a broker's fee because it would mean more money out of my pocket, than it would cost me to go directly through a landlord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 03:10 PM
 
11,224 posts, read 21,660,986 times
Reputation: 8819
Quote:
Originally Posted by passdoubt View Post
I don't think "pay more in rent" is correct. Without a brokers fee you're paying less... it's just harder to find a place w/o a broker because they have a stranglehold on the market here.
This is just what I heard. I want to stress that I don't have first-hand knowledge, only what my friends who have moved recently have told me. I have a friend who just moved into a $1000/month apt. in Sunnyside and she did use and pay a broker. I really don't think she could have found this deal without the broker.

If you think about it - it does make sense. If there are 500 apartment vacancies in one neighborhood and 475 are listed through brokers and 25 are available through the owner, and you have a range of how good of a deal each apartment is, just running the numbers should mean that if you go through a broker you have a better chance of getting one of the "good deals".

Of course, you have to add your broker fee on to what you are coughing up in terms of payment. If you plan to stay a few years the broker fee makes more sense than if you are only staying for one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-16-2008, 11:12 PM
 
Location: Queens
536 posts, read 2,134,708 times
Reputation: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Child Of God View Post
That is exactly what I wanted to say. I do not want to pay a broker's fee because it would mean more money out of my pocket, than it would cost me to go directly through a landlord.
Not necessarily, it's much easier to find better deals through brokers. My friend got a 3 bedroom in Greenpoint at a week's notice this past summer for 1600 a month through a broker... go on craigslist and you'll find nary a listing under 2400. Over time the broker fee pays for itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:17 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top