Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 12:37 PM

13 posts, read 48,749 times

Advertisements

Hoping you knowledgeable people on this forum can help me with some information about areas of the Bronx... I'm looking to open an adult latin dance studio (and kids classes too) in an area of the Bronx that is working class mixed, but predominantly hispanic. It would have to be on a busy avenue with lots of foot traffic. I drove by Castle Hill Avenue near Westchester and it appears to be a very busy avenue, with lots of stores...kind of what I'm looking for. Can you give me some info about that area?

Any suggestions for other areas I can look at? Any help would be appreciated much. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2008, 12:53 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,683,123 times
Default About 15 years ago...

that was a prostitution corner. I was kind of surprised because though i knew the area had changed, it was never an area that was a Ft Apache type of place.

A client of mine was working in a restaurant on that corner years ago and was shot when the place was held up. Miraculously the bullet entered a place that did not cause him any harm and he never had the bullet removed because doing so could have caused complications

I know these are not nice things to hear, but I myself never considered that corner to be that bad. The area has probably gotten better since that time. IMO it's not the worst place to be and not the best

Old 11-15-2008, 01:26 PM

Hey rlrl, thanks for posting....nope, its not nice to hear...you say "was" a prostitution corner. Do you happen to know if they have cleaned up the area? Was just driving around there this morning, around 11:30 am.... Can you suggest other areas that I might take a look at, that's mixed, but predominantly hispanic since the studio will be teaching latin dance (salsa, cha cha, merengue). Appreciate your thoughts.....

Old 11-15-2008, 01:39 PM

205 posts, read 507,785 times
thats actually one of the few hispanic places in the bronx that is actually decent. its sucks to say since im half PR my self but its the truth.
I would imagine business would be good there. On fri and sat nights theres sports plus cafe, johhny o and a new lounge Mamosa's i believe that are reg packed and no probs with violence. Maybe Westchester Sq. too.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:27 PM

Default Latin Dance Studio

Just found out there's a latin dance studio just several blocks away....oh well back to the drawing board....any suggestions for areas to check out?

Old 11-15-2008, 03:47 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,443,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1952 View Post
Hoping you knowledgeable people on this forum can help me with some information about areas of the Bronx... I'm looking to open an adult latin dance studio (and kids classes too) in an area of the Bronx that is working class mixed, but predominantly hispanic. It would have to be on a busy avenue with lots of foot traffic. I drove by Castle Hill Avenue near Westchester and it appears to be a very busy avenue, with lots of stores...kind of what I'm looking for. Can you give me some info about that area?

Any suggestions for other areas I can look at? Any help would be appreciated much. Thanks.

The Melrose section of the bronx is undergoing redevelopment, Melrose ave and 3rd ave are very busy, and a strong Hispanic presence; also the Concourse and Mott Haven are communities you can look into.

Old 11-15-2008, 04:00 PM

Default thank you

Mr. Triny -- many thanks...I'll start doing some research right now into those areas! the comments are most appreciated....

Old 05-02-2012, 01:31 AM

3 posts, read 5,168 times
Hello..I was a dancer in the bx 13 years myself. I have lived in throgs neck all my life. The neighborhood now is turning hispanic w a strong hispanic background here already. The other areas people are suggesting are hispanic but ave very low income. No money for stuff like that. Throgs neck....10465 zip is a upper middle class neighborhood....we have reg dance schools here that did so well they both opened a new school each..but no latin. Variety is key...also we have 2 latin places to eat. One very popular latin kitchen. We have the latin culture alrady minus the dance. Heavy traffic. Close to city and bridge. Hows that for advice. People spend money on their kids around here bc they have it

Old 05-02-2012, 01:54 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,250,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1952 View Post

Almost any major strip in South Bronx will represent the clientel you are looking for. But whatever you do don't market your new biz as an "adult latin dance studio". You know I immediately jumped to some conclusions here. Anyway, good luck with the Zumba classes.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Lol, look at dates people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City