Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 06:43 AM

3 posts, read 5,534 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'm planning on coming to NYC next year (in March) and staying for 6 months to a year. I've always wanted to experience living in the city. I will have around $12,000 USD which i've saved for this trip. I'll have to fly out of the country once every three months so i don't over stay my visa.

1. I want to get a job (under the table) as a bar person or waiter. Is this a very easy thing to do? What would the pay be roughly a week? (for full time 5 days/nights a week work)

2. I'm looking at living in Inwood or Bushwick. I've heard these two areas are reasonably safe and good value for money. Would a bar/waiter wage be able to pay the rent in these areas, or areas similar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 07:13 AM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
Sorry, but I really can't encourgage illegal immigration...There are also enough legal residents who need jobs here now.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BennS View Post
Hi,

I'm planning on coming to NYC next year (in March) and staying for 6 months to a year. I've always wanted to experience living in the city. I will have around $12,000 USD which i've saved for this trip. I'll have to fly out of the country once every three months so i don't over stay my visa.

1. I want to get a job (under the table) as a bar person or waiter. Is this a very easy thing to do? What would the pay be roughly a week? (for full time 5 days/nights a week work)

2. I'm looking at living in Inwood or Bushwick. I've heard these two areas are reasonably safe and good value for money. Would a bar/waiter wage be able to pay the rent in these areas, or areas similar?
sorry..we could probably get arrested for giving advice to violate the law..perhaps you can get under the table advice elsewhere?

Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,982,826 times
If you're going to fly back every three months, how are you going to be able to afford the rent with so little money saved?

Old 11-17-2008, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennS View Post
Hi,

I know you want to experience the city, as you say, and I know that you don't mean from behind the deportation cellblock of the INS. So I suggest you apply for workpapers and then you won't have to work in fear, get paid under the table, or for that matter have to hide under the table whenever a customer walks in looking like Dick Tracy and orders a NY favorite, "Vodka a la Rikers."

Old 11-18-2008, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,338 times
BennS, I recently relocated here and saved just a bit more money than you to stay here for three months. However my aim is to find a job and get sponsored and three weeks in, it hasn't been an easy ride. Sure you might be able to save money by living away from the city but trust me, groceries and amenities - they aren't cheap and all add up.

My spending on everyday things and food (I found that it was more expensive to buy my own food and cook) is around $300 avg / week and that's not even eating out at fancy restaurants! It's a little bit of shopping and buying crap like toilet paper! Think about it clearly before you do this and see if you can aim to find a job like I am. It's the only way to do it.

I can't say if mine will be a success story but at least I am doing it. You have to be very careful as well if you plan to go in and out of NY every three months. Customs are very strict.

Good Luck!

Old 11-18-2008, 08:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,534 times
Hi Aussie_In_Nyc,

This is exactly the info i was after. Great to see you're giving it a go, even if it is a struggle. In terms of coming in an out every 3 months, i thought that this would be fine as long as you show you have a forward ticket to get out of the country?

Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,043 times
Don't you feel guilty coming here and taking jobs from a country in dire economic troubles. You seem pretty well to do in Australia. A lot better than alot of Americans. So don't you thinks its kind of selfish of you to take one of the very nedded service jobs?
I wouldn't feel this way if you were coming here to open a restaurant in some Downtown Manhattan neighborhood and hiring American employees.
If you don't feel guilty, then i'll feel guilty for you.

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 11-20-2008 at 12:55 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_NYC View Post
It's a little bit of shopping and buying crap like toilet paper!
well, the latter is needed for the former.

Old 11-22-2008, 12:37 PM

749 posts, read 2,454,248 times
You can't just leave before 3 months is up and come back expecting to be re-admitted - it kind of defeats the purpose of having a tourist policy of 90 days. Your movements will be in the system and your passport will be stamped. You can't come back and just say you're going on vacation again for another 3 months when you were just here for 3 months, they definitely won't let you do that.

I agree with the others, it's not a good idea to come to America like this. You should attempt to get sponsorship or get transfered by your company in Australia to New York. America isn't a free ride, generations upon generations of people have suffered, sacrificed and died so that American citizens can have the opportunity and freedoms of this country. It's not fair to attempt to circumvent that given what honest people have sacrificed to have the same opportunities the legit way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City