U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Best/prettiest/coolest?
Lower Manhattan skyline 58 31.18%
Midtown skyline 128 68.82%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-17-2008, 03:14 PM

2,249 posts, read 4,055,944 times
Def. Midtown. Best skyline in the UNITED STATES.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 03:57 PM

190 posts, read 671,924 times
Rate New York City's Skyline - SkyScraperLife

Old 11-17-2008, 04:08 PM

190 posts, read 671,924 times
Some awesome pics i found

Heres a thread page where alot of the photos are ariel views.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...=96092&page=68

Old 11-17-2008, 08:26 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,217,791 times
nyc really is in a league of its own. in america at least

Old 11-18-2008, 01:53 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,773,011 times
I have always preferred Midtown. Midtown, in my opinion, is what makes Manhattan so special. It has a great assortment of skyscrapers, both new and old. The density of the buildings downtown is really unrivaled by any city in this country, even Chicago. Midtown is so dense, in fact, that there were many times where it seemed like everytime I went into Midtown (every couple of months) there seemed to be a new 50 or 60 story skyscraper that I hadn't noticed before.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:34 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,942,574 times
Thumbs down ItsMeBitches

You must be very young and stupid to be so disrespectful to a city that lost close to 3,000 lives, and changed the world completely for the worst!! SHAME ON YOU! You have not only made me cry, but have insulted the good people of AMERICA!

Old 11-19-2008, 04:54 PM

1,730 posts, read 2,942,574 times
Default Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

to everyone that posted their photos here, you are all awesome.......

Old 11-19-2008, 04:58 PM

4,388 posts, read 11,410,779 times
Lower Manhattan Average? Please, even if you put it in the middle of Kansas it would be incredible. Its anything but average. It has so much history and diversity among architecture

Although im not sure which one i like more. either way, New York will always have the best skyline in the western Hempishere and possibly the world

Old 03-05-2009, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 2,764 times
This photograph from JazzHostels.com is a real favorite of mine for that something beautiful about lower manhattan.

However, I haven't concluded which to vote for yet because midtown is very energetically urban.
This is my first post on city-data by the way, though I've been reading the forums a long time. I drew a computer drawing of the manhattan skyline when I was 11 years old and won school art award, about a year after we'd moved out of new york into a small town. Guess I have always missed that energy to this day.
I guess what we can learn from the midtown/lower manhattan debate is that we make definitions in our minds but the way things develop is not always satisfying our concepts. I mean, we might wish it were all one combined mega NYC skyline, but "it aint."
Final word, when I think about great skylines I also think about the quantum physics idea that subatomic particles create great molecules by busting through, or tunneling across, the probabilities. So it is with cities, we bust out of the limited walls and penetrate the limits towards creative new structures. So - It's no wonder we feel that energy in the cities, it is the universe's creative energy!

Old 03-05-2009, 05:42 PM

11,180 posts, read 9,608,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMeBitches View Post
Pass me whatever you are smoking. There is no way that Lower Manhattan is bigger than Downtown Chicago. Lower Manhattan only looks as good as it does cuz of how it is concentrated at the edge of an island. If you put Lower Manhattan in the middle of nowhere and surrounded it by land then its an average skyline. That ***** is a glorified San Francisco. Lower Manhattan is weak and always will be weak. Lower Manhattan was garbage before 9/11 so lets not even discuss the WTC. Either way all it lost was two lego blocks that even I could have designed.

Who cares if Lower Manhattan would look average if it were surrounded by land and not water? The fact is Lower Manhattan is surrounded by water, and it makes the whole thing gorgeous--I don't see any justification for cutting out the setting of a skyline (really, what skyline exists in a vacuum?).

As for the WTC, I have to admit that those towers were pretty damn ugly. Not terrorism-justifyingly ugly (what is?), but they were far from pretty. Hopefully what gets put up in their place will look great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City