Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:14 AM

456 posts, read 1,396,972 times

Advertisements

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I have my theories but would love to read a variety of opinions. I love New York City, and even when I eventually move I will more than likely visit often. When I travel, I have to brace myself to get on the trains. I once told my audience, at an open mic, that I think the trains are payment for all the things I love about this city. They all cracked up and nodded in agreement. The pushing, the shoving, the attitudes, the rudeness, the atmosphere of suspicion, the tension, the negativity... What do you make of it? Do you pull a Jeckyll & Hyde act when you get on the trains, i.e. become another person, your evil twin or shadow? If so, why? Is this the subway equivalent of road rage?

Enough said. I think you get the picture. Thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:18 AM

1,990 posts, read 7,633,692 times
^^^ lol I know what you mean. I usually give my seat to a lady, or an older person. I try my best not to push people around ( maybe it's because I'm 6'6, 270+) but I try to be a gentleman on the train.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:31 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
Trains are crowded, uncomfortable, boring then you have people who get on with bad moods, so the situation just compounds. Then you have the kids going/coming to/from school using the trains. Many of these kids act dumb or annoying, start fights (especially in the Bronx geez ), etc. Not to mention the crazies that also ride the trains. Honestly I'm surprised considering that combustible mix that more stuff doesn't happen.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
I'm usually a pretty nice, laid back sort of person who really isn't the type to get an attitude with someone. But when it comes to trains going and coming from work, I change into a whole different person, lol. I have terrible feet problems and stand a lot of the day at work, so I'm just dying to finally sit down on my way home. I get so annoyed when students take up 75% of the seats when all they do is sit in desks all day. Or when I'm going for a seat and a guy jumps in front and gets it. Next time that happens, I'm probably going to end up saying something. It's one thing if it's another woman, but a guy? I believe guys should be gentlemen.

I think the negativity the OP is thinking of is just people really tired and moody by the end of the day. You experience the same thing on the roads if you drive during rush hour. People drive nuts because they're tired and just want to get home. Almost the same thing, but on trains.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:52 AM

1,008 posts, read 3,623,881 times
Yeah especially on rush hours when trains are so full of people and people probably get more pissed when they can't even fit in right on that one train or have to wait for the next one. So another wait on that cold or hot station.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 AM
Riv

236 posts, read 604,453 times
People on trains are usually going to be the same way off trains but perhaps some might be affected by things such as trains being rerouted and making it much harder and time consuming to get to your destination, trains coming by on crowded platforms or late at night but being out of service or garbage trains,unnecessary, frivolous loudness being made on trains, trains crawling at walking speed from station to station, rats and mice in station platforms or on tracks.

The good people suffer in silence.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,572,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indi9 View Post
That's pretty much it in a nutshell. I have my theories but would love to read a variety of opinions. I love New York City, and even when I eventually move I will more than likely visit often. When I travel, I have to brace myself to get on the trains. I once told my audience, at an open mic, that I think the trains are payment for all the things I love about this city. They all cracked up and nodded in agreement. The pushing, the shoving, the attitudes, the rudeness, the atmosphere of suspicion, the tension, the negativity... What do you make of it? Do you pull a Jeckyll & Hyde act when you get on the trains, i.e. become another person, your evil twin or shadow? If so, why? Is this the subway equivalent of road rage?

Enough said. I think you get the picture. Thanks for your responses.
I was hoping for a nice relaxed morning then came along this thread. Don't get me started on the subway, please.

When I think of the pros and cons of living in NYC, I list the subway both places. It's a pro in that you save on the costs of owning a car. That's it for pros.

The cons? How about jam packed trains and cars, people reading their newspapers on your back, shoulder, or any of your body extremities that happen to be in view? How about the people with their ipods and backpacks who can't hear you say excuse me so that you can get by them in a crowded car and who hit you with their backpacks if you do try to squeeze by anyway? The well dressed guy in the 3-piece Armani who grabs the seat next to you and smells like the bum that you tried to avoid sitting next to in the other car?

The folks who decide it's their constitutional right to stand ar the exits of the car all the way from uptown Manhattan to downtown Brooklyn and who look at you with a scowl when you try to make your paid for ingress and egress from the train. The people seeking handouts who decide to board the train at 5:00 p.m just in time for rush hour? You move over to another car and there's a five-man vocal group who never made it in the 60's and strangely enough still think they have a shot at it in the 2000's and need to exhibit their talent in an overcrwded train full of tired, frenetic, depressed commuters who just heard on the news before leaving work that the Dow plummeted another 500 points thus converting their 401k's into 101k's?

The old lady who shoves you out of the way almost causing you to lose yor balance as she dashes for the one available seat in the car competing with a 350 pound man who gets there first and hastily sits down in the process displacing two seated individuals to the left and right.

How about the subway conductor to whom you ask a question about how to get to South Street Seaport and who refers you to the map in the car which you can't see properly beacuse of the tall fella sitting next to it and whose body covers it entirely? What about those tourists that just have to saunter in with their maps, papers, backpacks, luggage at rush hour rather than taking an earlier train since they pretty much can control their own schedules?

The crowds, the scents, the scowls, the pole and door huggers, the ipod wearers who don't give a damn about you trying to get by, the seats designed in the Orient for smaller sized people and unsuited for Americans thus forcing you to stand if an even slightly overweight person sits since she then needs to occupy 1.5 seats leaving you no room? And some highly paid MTA consultant probably recommended the ordering of forementioned cars in order to "save costs" but in reality to show that they are earning their grossly paid fees.

I tell you, if I could get a job in Madison and be able to drive to work, I would join you on your way there and never look back at a NYC subway again.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:07 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,937,156 times
^^ I feel the same way, more or less. I thought the subways were great at first, but after experiencing them during rush hour on a daily basis, UGH. I think the buses are even worse. there is only so much to move around on the bus. There are always some people who could care less about giving you personal space and don't mind having their elbow in your face. I had someone walking through the aisle with their luggage (people from Laguardia take this bus with their huge luggage. Another reason why I hate that bus). She hit me on the knee really hard and didn't even say sorry when it was obvious I said ouch loud enough that she heard me. Gotta love mass transit lol. Can't wait until I move to Long Island and can drive. Now I know why my fiance would much rather drive

Also, I was on the M60 one day going home. There were 3 people spread across 6 seats when the bus was filled to max capacity.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:48 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,295,470 times
If people understood train etiquette it would be a much more pleasant ride. The general rule is: Don't dawdle, be conscious of those around you, and don't obstruct traffic flow. What this means practically:

Take out your MetroCard before you get to the turnstile.

Always walk on the right on the stairs and leave room for people going in the opposite direction.

If you're descending onto the platform and there is a train already in the station (that you don't want to take), always assume that people will be scrambling to get on the train; get out of the way and let them pass.

If you've just exited a train, walk in the center of the platform (at an express stop) or against the wall (at a local stop) to allow others to get on the train.

If you're confused and need to get your bearings in a station, stand against a wall or pillar while you figure out where you need to go.

If you need to ask directions (and most people are happy to help) only ask people who are already stopped and waiting for a train (never stop someone who is walking).

Don't stand in the door when people are trying to get on and off the train; move the to center of the car or towards the doors that are not being used. (This is, in my opinion, the most egregious sin on the subway, yet all too common.)

Let those exiting the train get off before you get on.

If the train is the least bit crowded, take off your backpack.

Get ready to get off the train (move towards the door) before the train stops.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:49 AM

8,743 posts, read 18,375,776 times
Considering the sheer number of people squeezed into the trains on a daily basis, considering the variety of people who use the trains (including, bums, stupid kids, angry/hostile people, crazies, and the usual ghetto folk), and considering the number of delays and complete lack of consistency with train service, we should really be talking about daily (and even hourly) slashings, gangwars, shootouts, stabbings, people thrown into the tracks all the time, and other such hostile/violent acts. But we DONT see this..sure you get the occasional argument or yelling, but what is that 5% of the time? I see courteousies and kindness FAR more than hostility, violence, or arguments..so lets be fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City