Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 08:02 PM

101 posts, read 162,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
The same worker could break an entire arm off a Greek statue and the next day no one would notice.

What is the meaning of Greek statues?
How can you not notice if people break an arm off a statue? Are you blind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2008, 08:05 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
just like with modern abstract painting, saobi friend, some sculptors leave off an arm or two and call it modern abstract sculpture. What are we to do?

Old 11-21-2008, 08:39 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry, this was kind of an art joke.

I guess you need me to explain.

Many ancient Greek statues survive but are missing arms - one or both. A visitor to a museum to the Met is going to see statues that are either armless or whole. I think if you broke an arm off an ancient Greek statue and the next day asked the visitors to the Met if they noticed anything amiss in the room, they would say no.

Guess the joke was too abstract for you???

This link should help.
Greek Sculpture

Old 11-21-2008, 08:44 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times
Quote:
Oh, sorry, this was kind of an art joke.

Guess the joke was too abstract for you???
not only him. I'm sending back my trial membership tp the MMA until I take a refresher course in abstract art.

Old 07-04-2020, 08:57 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I wish I could go back in time, and meet the American and British and French and Austrian looters of these artifacts of my home country, and stand in front of their caravans, shout at them in the middle of the Gobi Desert: "Halt! Put down your lootings before you pass!"

ANd the next sound heard would be: BANG

Old 07-04-2020, 03:09 PM

874 posts, read 454,476 times
Quote:

". . .What is the meaning of Greek statues?"
same here - i'm still trying to wrap my head around...this:

some app....

"TikTok Owner's Value Exceeds $100 Billion."

i guess.....

Old 07-05-2020, 05:56 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
For New York State residents, it's pay what you want.

For New Jersey and Connecticut students, it's pay what you want.

For everyone else, General Admission Tickets are $25 for adults; $17 for seniors; $12 for students.

The reasoning is the MET is on land owned by New York. New York tax payers are picking up the tab.

Old 07-06-2020, 07:01 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,078,660 times
I wonder what got NJ and Connecticut on the dole?

Old 07-06-2020, 07:24 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
I wonder what got NJ and Connecticut on the dole?
It's only their students. Probably, the MET wanted to ease the region into this.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:18 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
I must admit that this is a very grand and very comprehensive Art Museum, and is maintained very professionally, and is definitely "world class".

I went there with my parents when they were visiting New York, and paid the full ticket fares, which I realized later that it was not necessary. The ones I visited were:

1) Ancient Battle Armor from England

2) Classical paintings from Europe (both in the Middle Ages and Rennaissance), I saw the famous Van Gogh self portrait

3) The Chinese wing, with a mini garden (built by a museum in China and sent to the US as a gift), with some not-so-famous Chinese paintings.

4) The semi-outdoor hall, with big statues made by Reconnaissance sculptors like Michelangelo and Bernini.

However, most of its goods from the Chinese wing (the porcelains) were looted and stolen by the Western forces during the Opium War and the Boxer rebellion after the defeat of the Qing Dynasty. I admit that they were kept in very good condition, but this cannot excuse the barbaric act of the invasion of China and the looting of its historical artifacts. These artifacts belong to a Chinese museum, not an American one.

So from a scholastic point of view, I respect the Museum of maintaining the Chinese artifacts in good condition, but from a nationalist and a political view, I must condemn them, as imperialists, as invaders, as looters, as pillagers.

I wish I could go back in time, and meet the American and British and French and Austrian looters of these artifacts of my home country, and stand in front of their caravans, shout at them in the middle of the Gobi Desert: "Halt! Put down your lootings before you pass!"

While I agree that anything that was looted by anyone should be returned to the home country, I am not sure that the Chinese stuff at Met was looted - I believe it was mostly bought by private parties and donated or sold to the museum. There were some questionable ways of acquiring Egyptian material, but I am not aware of such problems with the Chinese. Barbaric act of invasion of China by Europeans? When?? Not to my knowledge. The only (limited) invasions of China in the whole recorded history that come to mind were those by Mongols in the Middle Ages, and Japanese during WW2. Neither invaders were Europeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City