U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 11:06 PM

42 posts, read 134,247 times
Default How hard is it to survive in New York City? Are there plenty of hourly jobs in NYC?

I am thinking about moving to New York City next year with several grand saved up. I am in my early 20's and have no college degree, so I don't plan on making alot of money in NYC. I plan on finding a roommate somewhere in brooklyn, queens, or the bronx because i know i can't afford manhattan even with a roommate. I'm sure I'll have to work more than 40 hours to make ends meet, which doesn't really bother me. Right now i'm working at the airport and delivering newspapers to save up money and working at least 55 hours/week.

So how hard is it really?
Are there plenty of jobs in NYC in the current economic conditions?

I'm thinking per month:
600/rent
200/utilities
80/metrocard
240/food
200/entertainment

I've done the math and I would need to clear close to $400/week. So, I figure if I have a job making $13.00/hr and only work 40 hours a week I'll be good...and I really don't expect to make that much when I get there, so i know overtime or a second job will be a MUST, which I don't mind.

Am I missing something here? Are there enough jobs that would be available to me in order to make ends meet? I've been to snagajob.com and there are literally thousands of hourly jobs available, so I think it is achievable, but I could be missing something or I could just be naive.

What do you all think?
Thank You all in advance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 11:20 PM

6,855 posts, read 11,262,424 times
I don't know about how hard it is to get an hourly job, but imho, you're missing any expenses for household items, furnishings, wardrobe including shoes, medical/dental appointments, personal care items such as shampoo and deodorant and haircuts, computer maintenance expenses such as paper and ink for the printer...there are many many incidentals that fall outside of your above budget.

Did you figure taxes in to your budget? There is an addtional NYC income tax above and beyond state and federal.

Are you living at home with your parents now? That's the only way I can imagine your putting entertainment into your budget but forgetting the necessities of life.

If you do a search on this forum for budget you will probably see several threads that can be useful in figuring out what other items you need to add to your budget.

Also, $240 seems low for a monthly food budget ($8 per day) but I suppose it could be done if you are extremely extremely frugal.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:31 PM

i am extremely frugal and don't really plan on spending 200 dollars a month for entertainment, that was more like a 200 dollar 'buffer' if you will. I plan on doing a lot of cheap/free things, such as going to see Wynton Marsalis at Lincoln Center, walking and seeing shows at Central Park, walking the different neighborhoods, etc.

I also think i can get a cheaper place than 600/month, I'm just trying to round up.

As far as furnishing, I don't plan on having any. Probably just a mattress.
Very good advice on the incidentals you mentioned.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:55 PM

9,283 posts, read 15,083,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdMan1986 View Post
I also think i can get a cheaper place than 600/month, I'm just trying to round up.
Honestly, I'd continue to round up a bit, or find more than one roommate, since $600 is pretty low, even for an outer borough shared apartment, unless the area is transitional or pretty rough.

I'd also figure in dry cleaning/laundry, since even if you only have a mattress and clothes, the clothes and sheets do need to be cleaned. Did you include your phone and television services under utilities? They could actually be higher than $200, depending upon what's included in the rent, especially in the summer when you need to run the air conditioner which can result in a high bill.

Old 11-19-2008, 01:13 AM

4 posts, read 22,736 times
I've been looking for a job for more than 3 months now and still havent found one. I have a second interview coming up in January for clothing retail position which will most likely pay minimum wage if I do get it. My advice is that before anything secure a job here first because its hard to get a job now more than ever. Even job agencies are refusing resumes because they are overflowed unemployed people.

I wish you best of luck

Old 11-19-2008, 03:31 AM

Have you tried looking on craigslist.com or snagajob.com?
I've heard it's all about who you know in NYC that determines whether you get a good job or not, is that mostly true?

Thank You, I wish you luck finding something soon.

Old 11-20-2008, 12:16 PM

821 posts, read 198,463 times
There are plenty of jobs in the service industry, like in gourmet super markets, but unless you have experience you won't get over $10 per hour.
I make about $13 an hour now, and i can bearly make it. My studio apt. cost $700 a mos. I go to school at night, the utilities are killing me, I ride my bike to work to avoid the train fare, I eat 5 dumplings for $1.00 for lunch plus i have a number of other places where I can buy linch for under $3.00.
I don't know any different though cuz I've never lived anywhere else.
Its really tough, not really fun. I'm basically just living day by day. I do have a dream of being a full time social worker oneday, but working full time at my hourly job is making my schooling go by very slow.
I do find free entertainment though and cheap movie ticket deals.

Last edited by Joe Bama!; 11-20-2008 at 12:54 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 12:50 PM

3,991 posts, read 4,846,794 times
I don't mean to crush your dream, but do you have a goal (like going to school or auditioning) or other reason for moving to the city? Your $8-a-day budget for food would be difficult in Oklahoma City; in New York City you're in for a lot of instant noodles. A lot of people get by on a very modest budget when they first move to the city (or any city), but they usually have a larger plan in mind. If you're just looking to live in a city, there are much cheaper options that will allow you to have a modest job but still enjoy life. Your budget for New York is, literally, hand-to-mouth and will get old very quickly.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:36 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,241,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
I don't know about how hard it is to get an hourly job, but imho, you're missing any expenses for household items, furnishings, wardrobe including shoes, medical/dental appointments, personal care items such as shampoo and deodorant and haircuts, computer maintenance expenses such as paper and ink for the printer...there are many many incidentals that fall outside of your above budget.

Did you figure taxes in to your budget? There is an addtional NYC income tax above and beyond state and federal.

Are you living at home with your parents now? That's the only way I can imagine your putting entertainment into your budget but forgetting the necessities of life.

If you do a search on this forum for budget you will probably see several threads that can be useful in figuring out what other items you need to add to your budget.

Also, $240 seems low for a monthly food budget ($8 per day) but I suppose it could be done if you are extremely extremely frugal.
$240 a month for food is low? I spend about $160 a month lol.

But honestly, I don't see the point in the OP even moving here. They can do it, but what's the fun in spending ALL your money (based on making just a little over min. wage) and having nothing leftover when you're living in a new, exciting city? I just don't see the point in moving somewhere because you like it, and then having nearly nothing leftover to experience it.

Old 11-20-2008, 01:40 PM

821 posts, read 198,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
$240 a month for food is low? I spend about $160 a month lol.

But honestly, I don't see how it's doable for this person. They can do it, but what's the fun in spending ALL your money and having nothing leftover when you're living in a new, exciting city? I just don't see the point in moving somewhere because you like it, and then having nearly nothing leftover to experience it.
Thats how a majority of NYers feel. Unable to participate in the excitement that tourists and resident tourists get to participate in.
Most of us just make enough to eat and sleep somewhere. Thats why I call the subway the "Corporate Slave Ship taking the share croppers to work."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City