Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 09:34 PM

6 posts, read 63,919 times

Advertisements

how can u say queens is the worst. staten island and the bronx are the worst.

Old 03-20-2009, 09:54 PM

486 posts, read 980,946 times
Depends on what you are looking for. Don't look at it as the ENTIRE boroughs, look at each borough in sections. Our boroughs are huge, hence why they are broken up into neighborhoods. You have bad and good areas in each borough, no exceptions to this rule (all 5 boroughs are like this)!! Come up to a profile of what kind of neighborhood you are looking for and post it here. I'm sure we'll help you identify a neighborhood like that somewhere in NYC. If you want to know what neighborhoods are not recommened I'm sure you can find a healthy list for each borough here too. (look for the post: Worst Neighborhoods, is already out there).

Old 03-20-2009, 10:10 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,983,526 times
[quote=CrazyJerzyKidUNO;403088]Driving to the outerboroughs is awful. Especially going over the Queens Borough Bridge into Queens. Terrible.[/quote

Very similar to when one drives through parts of Jersey City, Newark, and Camden, NJ.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:15 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,983,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datkid92 View Post
how can u say queens is the worst. staten island and the bronx are the worst.
Mod cut: personal attackStaten Island is one of the safest of all the 5 boroughs, and has myriad of people with very HIGH INCOMES!!!!!!

Last edited by Viralmd; 03-21-2009 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: Personal attack

Old 03-21-2009, 12:34 PM

257 posts, read 821,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless in Seattle View Post
Would you say this is still true for 2009? I'm looking to move this year. Thanks.
My opinion. I just moved out six months ago...
crime from worst to best:
bronx, brooklyn, manhattan, queens, staten island (yes except Brooklyn & Queens definitely have their really bad neighborhoods, & even parts of Manhattan can be a little rough)

rent from cheapest to most expensive:
bronx, staten island, queens, brooklyn, manhattan (yes for the most part. Of course if you go out further in the boroughs you can get prices that are close to the bronx prices)

public transportation, worst to best:
staten island, queens, bronx, brooklyn, manhattan (I personally think brooklyn public transit is better than Queens, but I guess it depends on which neighborhood, and where in Manhattan you want to go. The LIRR is fast but 6$ a ride)

You have to decide whats important to you. Space? Price? Location to the action? Commute? Safety?

Keep in mind the boroughs are huge & the neighborhoods can vary a great deal.

I tend to lean towards wanting a balance of all. So I would lean towards neighborhoods in the boroughs close to Manhattan & close to the subway. You have to give more information to get a good answer.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:52 PM

9 posts, read 66,026 times
Area where you are most like to die is

Brownsville BK
Soundview BX
Edgemere 54th street QU
Stapleton SI
Spanish/East Harlem MN

Old 06-03-2009, 10:17 PM

197 posts, read 892,691 times
Manhattan. Even though its got the most to do. It is way too expensive.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:31 PM

41 posts, read 197,155 times
Queens,Brooklyn,Bronx,Manhattan,Harlem,Long Island

Each area has good and bad parts. Long Island has the least bad parts, then Queens, Manahttan, Brooklyn, Harlem, The Bronx.

Harlem is in Manahattan (It's one of the worst areas in NYC, but it's getting better) & Long Island is not a borough.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:30 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,138,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Rank these from worst to best.Queens,Brooklyn,Bronx,Manhatten,Harlem,Long Island.
Um, first of all the five boroughs of NYC are:
1.Brooklyn
2.Bronx
3.Queens
4.Manhattan
5.Staten Island

Harlem is IN Manhattan and Long Island is a separate CITY altogether.

Ok...........so the question was from WORST TO BEST right?

My choice would be: Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens and then Staten Island in that order

Thank You

Old 06-10-2009, 03:43 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,965,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamHobbes View Post
Queens,Brooklyn,Bronx,Manhattan,Harlem,Long Island

Each area has good and bad parts. Long Island has the least bad parts, then Queens, Manahttan, Brooklyn, Harlem, The Bronx.

Harlem is in Manahattan (It's one of the worst areas in NYC, but it's getting better) & Long Island is not a borough.
This list needs some explaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: