Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:42 PM

3,225 posts, read 8,573,445 times

Advertisements

And an aura of silence befell the room as the priestess spoke on and on eschewing and assailing the prophets of old. What manner of woman is this, they ask themselves, that she should come aboard like a whirlwind, devouring all that we hold most precious, shattering our beliefs, questioning our traditions and values?

"Son," replied the father to a frazzled child shaken by her words,"Fear not, for she is here but for today. Let not the strange woman entangle you in her web. She speaks from the heart words of wisdom but we must neither decry nor crown her. Think on what she has said, examine the contents of her prose, read the scriptures yourself, and return another day to answer the challenges she leaves behind."

"My dear son," continued the father, "do not ever be mesmerized by the beauty of her words or her persona - for she'll leave you ensnared and in an entaglement from which there is no escape.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 PM

520 posts, read 844,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
And an aura of silence befell the room as the priestess spoke on and on eschewing and assailing the prophets of old. What manner of woman is this, they ask themselves, that she should come aboard like a whirlwind, devouring all that we hold most precious, shattering our beliefs, questioning our traditions and values?

"Son," replied the father to a frazzled child shaken by her words,"Fear not, for she is here but for today. Let not the strange woman entangle you in her web. She speaks from the heart words of wisdom but we must neither decry nor crown her. Think on what she has said, examine the contents of her prose, read the scriptures yourself, and return another day to answer the challenges she leaves behind."

"My dear son," continued the father, "do not ever be mesmerized by the beauty of her words or her persona - for she'll leave you ensnared and in an entaglement from which there is no escape.
Miles, you're a riot!!! And you are such a fox with da ladies!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:17 PM

Has anyone read?

Afghan teacher wants acid thrown on her attackers

Afghan teacher wants acid thrown on her attackers - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081125/ap_on_re_as/as_afghanistan - broken link)

Poor girls were going to school when a few men of Pakistani descent "riding motorbikes squirted acid from water bottles onto three groups of students and teachers walking to school."

Old 11-25-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles View Post
Wow! And here I was thinking from last week's thread that you were just another naive, innocent woman mesmerized by me and seeking a date in Central Park?

Oh well, we all live and learn - and I remain dateless.

Excellent Post and Analysis, BTW.
I am still an innocent woman who is mesmerized by your impeccable wit. You are quite complimentary today, a far cry from the sarcastic and smug self in my previous thread. What seems to be the likely cause?

Old 11-25-2008, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
You are quite complimentary today, a far cry from the sarcastic and smug self in my previous thread. What seems to be the likely cause?
As turkey day approaches, I've become more and more disenchanted with being called a year-round turkey. Now that partygoers are armed with carving knives and ensnaring dialogue, I figure I'd better be complimentary if I wanna live to see another Thanksgiving!

A happy one to you and hubby and kids, if any!

Old 11-25-2008, 02:34 PM

No kids yet (thankfully), and a Happy happy to you as well! Complimentary and smiley... me thinks you may have started on your holiday wine early...

Old 11-25-2008, 02:49 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,939,050 times
I have an extremely quiet voice, which is surprising since i'm a teacher, lol. My voice is like a night and day difference when I'm working and not working Anyway, I know what you mean about those accents. I feel bad saying this, but the upper-midwestern accents really are annoying. Though I'm sure they're annoyed by our accents lol

Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entangled View Post
It wouldn't be so bad if these women, who enjoy materialistic benefits, would not denounce this country for the materialism they cherish so dearly, evident in their fashion sense. But they do, they hate the western ideal, the materialism, this nation's obsession with money. Yet, I've noticed there is no greater competition of wealth than amongst those who appear so humbled by religion. Speak to a Bengali person, or perhaps an Arab. They try to outdo each other with houses, cars, sari's and jewelry.
You say you don't want to offend -- but what offends me is your enormous generalizations about all Muslim women who dress in any sort of traditional way.

The fact is that you have no idea what "they" hate, or whether "they" are trying to outdo each other with their houses or jewelry. Sure, you may have talked to some traditionally dressed Muslims and you may have knowledge about the specific ones you spoke with, however this does not give you license to put all Muslims in one enormous category and suggest that you know the feelings and motivations of all of them.

Your generalizations about them are no more acceptable that anyone else's generalizations about all Americans, or all Jews or all Catholics or whatever.

Take your biases elsewhere.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henna View Post
You say you don't want to offend -- but what offends me is your enormous generalizations about all Muslim women who dress in any sort of traditional way.

The fact is that you have no idea what "they" hate, or whether "they" are trying to outdo each other with their houses or jewelry. Sure, you may have talked to some traditionally dressed Muslims and you may have knowledge about the specific ones you spoke with, however this does not give you license to put all Muslims in one enormous category and suggest that you know the feelings and motivations of all of them.

Your generalizations about them are no more acceptable that anyone else's generalizations about all Americans, or all Jews or all Catholics or whatever.

Take your biases elsewhere.
Just for the record, I don't believe that the poster was expressing bias. We must not become so politically correct that we can no longer make observations of certain expressions of explicit or implicit behavior and comment on them.

I personally, and I suspect the referenced poster, do not condemn all individuals who pursue a religious faith, but I certainly will exercise a right to point out questionable beliefs/behavior/characteristics.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
Miles, too bad you have your blinders on after she called you a fox with the ladies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: