Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2009, 10:54 AM

3,226 posts, read 6,615,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Kinda off topic, but I'm visiting from Seattle and I'm taking the D train via the E from Jamaica during rush hour tomorrow from JFK. Im meeting friends in Harlem and they are telling me its 6 hours by subway and to take a cab or Super Shuttle. But MTA says its 1.5 hour subway ride and Im buying a weekly pass anyways for the weekend.

Are they Mod cut: languageor should I shell out extra $$$ and take the shuttle?

Smack your people. The most a ride can consist of getting from any borough to any borough is 2 and a half. When I go to Rockaway beach in Queens I come from the very tip of the Bronx on the 2 train to basically the tip of Queens. That usually takes only about 2 hours and 15 minutes or 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Trust me you won't go wrong taking the train. You'll save way more money. PLEASE smack your friends, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
One of the great things about the elevated lines around New York City is that they were NOT constructed along isolated, private rights-of-way. They rumble right through the city (or, in the case of the #7 line where it runs in Long Island City, snake. I love that big, sweeping S-curve right through the industrial district!). Actually, most of them went up prior to urbanization, so what happened was that the city encroached on the transit lines.

In either case, after the A to the Rockaways, my second favorite el ride is on the J. I'm endlessly fascinated by the cityscape. And the view from the Williamsburgh Bridge doesn't get as much hype as the view from the Brooklyn Bridge, but it's just as spectacular.

I hear you man. However, I LOVE the 7 train because as you ride passed every street you see people of all races and cultures entering and exiting the train. My favorite is the A train because I love crossing that long land of water and passing JFk while traversing my way to Rockaway.

Old 02-12-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saobi View Post
Even in the worst part of a third world city like San Paula Brazil this type of service and facility will not be acceptable. Walking inside a New York Subway station is similar to walking to a tunnel into a prison. Dilapidated walls, black gum on the ground, unhearable voices in the speakers, water dripping. When I walk the stairs to take the uptown 6 train, it smells like human feces have spoiled over one century. The trains pass like there's an earthquake, standing inside the subway station for too long will reduce your lifespan for sure. Every weekend, every train is re-route, ridiculous.

This is a environmental hazard place, should be shutdown by in inspectors.

Why does New York City have such disrepaired subway system? Don't tell me it is because it is old. London and Tokyo's system are only slighly younger, but in much much better and modern condition. Where did the money for the subway being used on? To put more smell into the platforms?

Do not understand, totally do not understand. Please give me an explanation.

I have an explanation, but I am afraid I am not allowed to say it here.

Mod cut: copyright violations

Yeah, Sao Paulo is a very third world city. Research before you post.

Last edited by Viralmd; 02-12-2009 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: copyright violations

Old 02-15-2009, 03:32 PM

473 posts, read 1,666,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
Smack your people. The most a ride can consist of getting from any borough to any borough is 2 and a half. When I go to Rockaway beach in Queens I come from the very tip of the Bronx on the 2 train to basically the tip of Queens. That usually takes only about 2 hours and 15 minutes or 2 hours and 30 minutes.

Trust me you won't go wrong taking the train. You'll save way more money. PLEASE smack your friends, please.
It's faster to take the 4/5 to 14th st, transfer to the L and then transfer to the A at Bway Junction

Old 02-15-2009, 03:36 PM

473 posts, read 1,666,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You left out the most scenic ride of all: the A train out to Far Rockaway. When it crosses the trestle over Jamaica Bay, you can forget that you're within the borders of New York City! (And if you take the ride at the right time of year, there's a preserve at the north end of Broad Channel Island. Nowhere else in the city can you ride on a subway train and view snowy egrets nesting).
Shhhhhhhh Fred - the last thing one wants is for this to be "discovered" by the "cool/hip" crowd ..... there goes the quiet bike rides by the beach

Old 02-15-2009, 03:39 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,475,681 times
Well, I guess you're right, although I don't think the hipsters even realize that Far Rockaway is within New York City. It'll take a few years before they make that discovery!

Old 02-15-2009, 03:39 PM

162 posts, read 600,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseJB View Post
Kinda off topic, but I'm visiting from Seattle and I'm taking the D train via the E from Jamaica during rush hour tomorrow from JFK. Im meeting friends in Harlem and they are telling me its 6 hours by subway and to take a cab or Super Shuttle. But MTA says its 1.5 hour subway ride and Im buying a weekly pass anyways for the weekend.

Are they Mod cut: languageor should I shell out extra $$$ and take the shuttle?
Don't waste your money on a weekly if you're only staying for the weekend, just get two Fun Passes for about $15.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:31 PM

35 posts, read 164,079 times
because its NY , we gritty

Old 02-20-2009, 03:35 PM

35 posts, read 164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bx718 View Post
Shhhhhhhh Fred - the last thing one wants is for this to be "discovered" by the "cool/hip" crowd ..... there goes the quiet bike rides by the beach
and just who are you deciphering as the "cool/hip" crowd that you want to keep this so secretive from

Old 02-20-2009, 04:35 PM

40,049 posts, read 34,475,681 times
Don't worry...they know who they are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City