Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:17 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times

Advertisements

I wonder how difficult it'd be to create a roomba traincar on some of the utility cars the MTA trains. It would ideally be a system that sucks and/or sweeps the tracks and areas near it as it passes through. It seems like it shouldn't be too much of a feat to create and would run during late nights and a few of these would alternate among different tracks. It might do double duty in not only cleaning the tracks but also setting a precedent of clean tracks making it a psychological barrier of sorts to dirtying the tracks in the first place. The big issue might be the displacing of fluid on the tracks and possibly washing it against the third rail, but the extent to which that'd be an issue would probably come out during testig and dealt with according.

Another factor that can probably make things a bit better is opening and maintaining more of the existent restrooms where at the very least you can localize the worst of the human mess in certain areas.

Another might be to heavily publicize punitive measurements for littering and such and enforcing it more.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 10-28-2013 at 08:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I wonder how difficult it'd be to create a roomba traincar on some of the utility cars the MTA trains. It would ideally be a system that sucks and/or sweeps the tracks and areas near it as it passes through.
They exist already. You can't tell from looking at the tracks. Maybe there's only one and it hits each section of track once every 6 months or something.

MTA Vacuum Train (VakTrak) Bypassing Canal St On The Uptown Track - YouTube

Old 10-28-2013, 08:37 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
They exist already. You can't tell from looking at the tracks. Maybe there's only one and it hits each section of track once every 6 months or something.

MTA Vacuum Train (VakTrak) Bypassing Canal St On The Uptown Track - YouTube
Nice!

Do you think they need to be rejiggered to improve on what they do or do you think it's more a matter of having them run more often/having more of them?

Old 10-29-2013, 07:07 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Alas, the "roombas" have no way of knowing that the subway system has CEILINGS. This lack of knowledge the machines share with Joseph Lhota who still thinks a SUBWAY is just a sandwich.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:47 AM

5,204 posts, read 4,666,583 times
I have been to many cities in the world and I can safely say the NYC subway system is by far the dirtiest and smelliest system. And the sad fact is I've already gotten used to it since I have to ride it everyday. But that still doesn't mean it is the worst system in the world. As people may have noted, few systems rival the NYC subway for reach and 24 hour service. And those that do like the Tokyo subway system ends up being more expensive since you have to pay by distance traveled. In the entire time I've ridden the subway, I have never littered. I am sure there are many like me. However, there are many people who do litter and I cannot begin to guess if they have anything in common. However, I do have an idea for a social experiment. First, renovate one station and make it pristine in terms of cleanliness. Use draconian enforcement tactics to make sure it stays pristine which includes heavy fines or even arrests for people who litter. See if the fact the station is clean will discourage littering. See which enforcement tactics work best. Use the experience from this one station to enact policies that may work to keep the entire system clean.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:04 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
would consistent cleanings diminish the rodents seen on tracks and platforms?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM

542 posts, read 1,682,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
would consistent cleanings diminish the rodents seen on tracks and platforms?
Of course it would...and it would also diminish the garbage and filth seen on the tracks and platforms.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:09 AM

25,368 posts, read 37,053,451 times
Blaming patron cleanliness is wrongheaded when the most disgusting experience of the ceilings are the most nauseatingly blackened, paint and plaster peeling, miasma for mold and slime growth. Has nobody who has ever RUN the subway system ever bothered to look UP? Does Lhota have a debilitating and progressive spine degeneration?

Old 10-29-2013, 11:37 AM

5,099 posts, read 4,959,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I have been to many cities in the world and I can safely say the NYC subway system is by far the dirtiest and smelliest system. And the sad fact is I've already gotten used to it since I have to ride it everyday. But that still doesn't mean it is the worst system in the world. As people may have noted, few systems rival the NYC subway for reach and 24 hour service. And those that do like the Tokyo subway system ends up being more expensive since you have to pay by distance traveled. In the entire time I've ridden the subway, I have never littered. I am sure there are many like me. However, there are many people who do litter and I cannot begin to guess if they have anything in common. However, I do have an idea for a social experiment. First, renovate one station and make it pristine in terms of cleanliness. Use draconian enforcement tactics to make sure it stays pristine which includes heavy fines or even arrests for people who litter. See if the fact the station is clean will discourage littering. See which enforcement tactics work best. Use the experience from this one station to enact policies that may work to keep the entire system clean.
Good comments and suggestions. Forward them to the MTA chief office.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:53 AM

9,246 posts, read 24,066,953 times
The subway stations and trains in Rome are much worse than in NYC.Dirtier,smellier,dimly lit and older equipment. Actually,the subways in Rome are a lot like the subways used to be in NYC back in the 70's and 80's.They might be using our old trains.

Rome Metro - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City