Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 01:14 PM

5,171 posts, read 4,624,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
Blaming patron cleanliness is wrongheaded when the most disgusting experience of the ceilings are the most nauseatingly blackened, paint and plaster peeling, miasma for mold and slime growth. Has nobody who has ever RUN the subway system ever bothered to look UP? Does Lhota have a debilitating and progressive spine degeneration?
I do agree I did not address this problem in my comment. Many stations also have a severe problem with water leaks which is causing the peeling paint, blackened walls and mold. I am not sure if this is because the tunnels are so old and not well designed that they cannot handle rainwater but there are obviously other subways that don't have this problem. I think the opening of the 2nd Ave subway should give us a lot of answers on how clean a NYC subway designed in modern times can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 08:25 AM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
Quote:

I think the opening of the 2nd Ave subway should give us a lot of
answers on how clean a NYC subway designed in modern times can be.
One HOPES!

Old 11-02-2013, 03:46 PM

49 posts, read 91,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Because NYers are filthy pigs, especially immigrants. Moscow has the benefit of a homogenous society of Europeans.
I couldn't agree with you more. The people here are disgusting. I have seen them litter when there is a garbage bin right in front of them. They have no respect for their surroundings and for other people. Spitting and dumping all over the place, just plain nasty.

Old 11-02-2013, 03:51 PM

49 posts, read 91,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klassyhk View Post
Part of the filth of our system is from the class of people who live in this dump we call NYC. Most blue and white collar workers are fine but the ghetto thugs and punk loudmouths have no respect for anything and litter all over the place.

Absolutely! Plus, there is no punitive action for people littering, being loud, vulgar, aggressive, or dangerous on the train or in the station. Any and everything goes! The no-class, no home-training riff-raff wouldn't get away with this living in any other city, especially in the southern states, but welfare-prone-ghetto-celebrated NYC.

The first thing they need to do is to ban all food from the trains and buses. I hate when you have some typical trash coming in with a bunch of kids having their dinner on the train. The smell of greasy food and ketchup is disgusting in an enclosed area. When they are done with their food, it usually ends up under a seat somewhere. How hard is it to teach your children to not litter? Or to wait to get home to eat? Public transportation in NYC is filthy because a good portion of the population is.

Old 11-02-2013, 04:07 PM

25,341 posts, read 36,832,279 times
Does anyone have an idea how long it takes to grow a stalactite from the ceiling? There are certain stations that look like a filthy version of Luray Caverns. I would venture to guess that there are ceilings that have not been scraped, cleaned or painted since the day they were OPENED. And I am not exaggerating. I have been riding these trains since the 1960's and I have never ONCE seen a ceiling go from slimy fuzzy black to white indicating a paint job. Not ONCE.
Yes they put fancy new tiles against the back wall...but they make believe that is the total station.

Last edited by Kefir King; 11-02-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 AM

10,219 posts, read 19,095,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kefir King View Post
And I am not exaggerating. I have been riding these trains since the 1960's and I have never ONCE seen a ceiling go from slimy fuzzy black to white indicating a paint job. Not ONCE.
They don't paint the ceilings white. Where I've seen evidence of paint (e.g. Penn Station), it's black paint (I guess they figure it will hide subsequent filth... but the paint flakes off so that doesn't work)

Old 11-03-2013, 12:04 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,536,952 times
i asked about if cleaning the platforms and station would reduce the rodents because i actually didn't think it would make a difference, tho i guess even in a clean station youd still see them on the tracks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City