Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 11:01 PM

578 posts, read 2,091,434 times

Advertisements

I have seen MANY from north jersey/li/westchester/ct.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2008, 01:02 AM

528 posts, read 1,180,184 times
whenever i go to penn station i see madd ppl wearing rangers jerseys...i have quite a few friends that are into the rangers as well. Everyone knows the Knicks are horrible.

Old 12-13-2008, 11:30 AM

217 posts, read 918,777 times
My observation:

First and foremost, it's a baseball town; Yankees OR Mets, not both.
Then it's football, Giants and that other team, the one that wears green.
Then it's Hockey. Rangers, rangers, rangers... BUT, them folks who live on Long Island are gigantic Islander fans. Though the New Jersey Devils have a huge fanbase that's visible here.
Basketball? Do we have a team? Oh, yeah, the Knicks. My understanding is that tickets to see them cost between $10,000 and $4,500,000, so most New Yorkers own season tickets because, like, we're all uber-rich.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:38 PM

Why is it then we continually get bashed as not being a hockey town or being less than Boston...which in my view...is NOT an NHL town...their club is quite irrevelvant till the recent bandwagon?

Old 12-29-2008, 11:39 PM

Oh....somebody asked about NY hockey players.

Here is the US Junior National Team.

USA Hockey

More people are from the NY tri state region than Metro Boston.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:01 AM

655 posts, read 1,985,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecountry View Post
Why is it then we continually get bashed as not being a hockey town or being less than Boston...which in my view...is NOT an NHL town...their club is quite irrevelvant till the recent bandwagon?
I don't know if the Bruins have ever been irrelevant. They're an Original Six team, who has made the Cup finals a few times, made some deep playoff runs. An "Original Six" team that until recent was irrelevant was the Blackhawks. What makes Boston more of a hockey market is the college teams like BU, BC, Harvard and the Beanpot.

And also the Rangers played the Islanders tonight, a big rivalry game. But not every major paper covered it. The NY Times used wire service copy for the game.

Old 12-30-2008, 05:52 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,481,631 times
Quote:
It's because when you get right down to it, we're a baseball town first. Hockey has simply never had the same claim on as many New Yorkers' hearts as baseball.

I have to disagree with you about Boston--they've been diehard Bruins fans there for a long time. How far back do you go following the game?

Old 12-30-2008, 09:29 AM

2,541 posts, read 11,308,084 times
Quote:
Oh....somebody asked about NY hockey players.

Here is the US Junior National Team.

USA Hockey

More people are from the NY tri state region than Metro Boston.
Well they have only 3 players from the NY tri state

But I was referring to specifically the NYC metro, not the whole tri-state
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: