Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,131 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Im looking at places to settle down for the long term. I'm currently looking in bedstuy and bushwick. Im just trying to get through the noise and hear from people that actually live there. Listening to people talk, one would think that BedStuy is worse than Nigeria (where I have lived), but i wonder how much of that is truth and how much is hype. I know there's definitely a race element there (I'm white), but is it more of a class/race thing, or simply a race thing. I guess i dont want to move to a place where I'm totally not welcome, even if Im not moving in to buy up property and flip it. Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:43 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,049,253 times
Both neighborhoods are among the worst in Brooklyn. If safety is a concern, then I advise you to look elsewhere. Many robberies have been reported in both neighborhoods, usually the long time residents robbing the newcomers. Now I have heard some blocks being better than others, but I wouldn't be able to give you specifics. I dont know the area nearly that well, but others on here do.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:13 PM

536 posts, read 2,349,007 times
You can probably get something in a much nicer part of Brooklyn (albeit farther from Manhattan and more suburban in atmosphere) for a similar price as both those neighborhoods. That's the way gentrificaton works.

Old 12-01-2008, 10:59 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
I would take Bed-Stuy over Bushwhick IMHO.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:06 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,634,102 times
A Bus Driver was killed yesterday in Bed-Stuy ( it was in the Daily News ). Apparently, some young punk bored a bus and didn't pay for the ride, the driver told him he must pay, yet the perp refuse. Later, the punk wanted a transfer, the driver told him he didn't pay for the ride, so he isn't going to giver him that transfer. The perp got upset and started to punch the driver in the face. The driver dropped him off at a bus stop, but the punk somehow bored the bus once again, and plunged a knife into the driver's chest and stomach, killing him. This is the first murder of a Bus Driver in almost 30 years. I wouldn't live or even visit Bed-Stuy. Bushwick isn't that great either.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 PM

317 posts, read 1,144,487 times
They're oddly expensive for what they are, due to gentrification (i.e. general naivety of many newcomers). You can find better deals elsewhere.

I think safety concerns are a little overblown in general, on this board and elsewhere, but relatively speaking, both neighborhoods are fairly high-crime and kinda grimy. Chances are nothing will happen to you if you just act normal - nothing's ever happened to me in either, personally - but why live in the hood if you don't have to? It's kinda funny what recent transplants are willing to pay to live in these places these days.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:18 AM

10,066 posts, read 14,444,601 times
I prefer Bushwick to Bed-Stuy, but that is due to my experience in the Bushwick neighborhood. Also, Bushwick hugs the "L" train, which is my preferred train into the city...I'd move into Bushwick--the area that borders Ridgewood.
Bed-Stuy has some really pretty blocks, and some cool bars and stores. But it has more safety issues than Bushwick--at least that is my perception. May not be reality, but it seems that way from personal experience.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:52 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,663,385 times
Depends on where in Bushwick and where in Bed-Stuy

I lived in Bushwick, 1999-2001 (before a lot of hipsters started moving there). I was a young, white, female and never had any issues. I have a friend who has lived in Bushwick for years now without issue. I also have a friend who moved from Bed-Stuy because she felt uncomfortable there... If you've lived in Nigeria, you must know how to handle yourself. I'd choose one Bushwick over Bed-Stuy

Old 12-02-2008, 12:39 PM

821 posts, read 1,039,815 times
I've live in Bed Stuy and survived to tell about it! lol! If you ain't street smart I would say you might have a problem. I grew up in Brooklyn and have learned how to carry my self in an appropriate manner.

Bushwick is further along the lines in gentrification. What I'd worry about more is how your conscious would deal with contributing to gentrification and the disrupting of a long time community.

I know that I personally mention gentrification and its effects on NYC here on the forum and a lot of people don't appreciate it.
But when you mention these neighborhoods it is the true reality of the situation. The victims of gentrification are under represented here on the forum and generally in the practices of real estate and development.
I feel that it is my responsibility as a native Brooklynite to shed light on these issues in Williamsburg, Bushwick, and Bed-Stuy.
I personally don't recommend anyone moving to NYC, especially with the job market its tough enough for us natives to find employment. If you must move to NYC and to a neighborhood currently under going gentrification I suggest that you do it in the most respectful manner.
Get involved with the community, ensure that the long time residents are included in the change and not excluded in the change.
Both Bushwick and Bed-stuy are neighborhoods that are recovering from the Crack epidemic that plagued their streets for decades. The people that endured the bad years are entitled to the new changes going on in their neighborhood. There are plenty of grass roots organizations that have been fighting the drugs, poverty, and slum lords. Now they are fighting a new battle, the battle of displacement due to the gentrification process.
Just something to keep in mind when choosing a place to live.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:44 PM

18 posts, read 95,750 times
i live in Bushwick and its generally been fine. As long as you exercise caution. I live off the L train, and tis true, its a very differetn feel up there than off the J. (Montrose, Morgan, jefferson, Dekalb, and Myrtle Wyckoff stops have all seemed fine to me)

Besides that, it is pretty dirty in some places, very loud in other places, but if that snot a concern, it is a more affordable and close place to live
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City